Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

DirecTV ridiculous....

I have a 2 yr contract with directv... when I signed up with them they flat out LIED when they told me I would NEVER pay more than $60/month. Over this past entire year they have continued to raise the prices every 3 months to the point where I a now paying a ridiculous $100/month. I have called them numerous times and even spoke to the manager. The price will not be lowered to what it should be.

I just ordered dish network and they guarantee the price will NEVER go higher than $45/month and DVR is included. I get the SAME things I had with directv but MUCH cheaper.

I am going to cancel my credit card so that directv cannot rob more money from me. I am then going to ship their equipment back to them. What can they do to me since I am cancelling before my 2 yr contract with them expired? Nothing?

They can go to h*ll, they are outright ripping me off and mislead me when I originally order service with them. Is it true they can ruin my credit since I am cancelling?

I just read on google if you cancel they will hold your equipment hostage (they will refuse to pick it up) and they ruin your credit. There has to be a way out this is crazy they keep jacking up the prices.

This is crazy, even if I cancel my credit card they can still charge my replacement credit card $300. Looks like I am stuck with directv ripoff scam service. They are raising prices constantly, they know I am screwed and forced to stay!!! Never again will I ever use directv.

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    This is crazy, even if I cancel my credit card they can still charge my replacement credit card $300.
    Who told you that? It's not true. They would have to know the replacement card number in order to charge it. Even with dish, what you SHOULD have done with directv, is have them put the price in actual paper and fax it to you.

Webdude,

When I called diectv and told them I need to cancel service with them because they LIED to me and promised me I would never be billed more than $60/month... the guy on the phone said "good luck, regardless if you cancel your credit card directv will charge your new credit card you get for that account even if we don't have the actual credit card number". How is that possible?!?!?

They said even though I cancelled my credit card they can STILL take money out of my account and that there is nothing I can do to stop them from taking the money... $300 dollars to be exact.
    Last edited by Frosty; 06-19-2009 at 09:29 PM.

If all you ever gave them was a credit card number, then he's bluffing. If you have ever paid check by phone, then they have your bank info and can charge it. In that case, you have to get a little drastic. Do you have other monthlys coming out of this account? If not, pull all the money, cancel the account, open another one.

never Never NEVER give a company access info to direct bill your bank account. They will keep that info, and use it if you try to cancel during a contract..... but again, if all you EVER gave them was a card number, they cannot charge your account unless they know the new one.

Webdude, yes they know my account # because I payed by check a few times. I also just saw this on google:

http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:...&ct=clnk&gl=us

I am very upset directv keeps raising prices constantly on me because they know they can. I want to get away from them ASAP. I agreed to pay $60/month for 2 years NOT $100/month!!! Are you 100% positive if I close my bank account completely that they cannot take the money from me?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Frosty; 06-19-2009 at 09:41 PM.

Another nice thing I found:

Looks like I am stuck with directv, boy do I hate this company. I read even if I close the bank account they can still take money out of my other account if it's at same bank.
    Last edited by Frosty; 06-19-2009 at 09:57 PM.

Another nice thing I found:

Looks like I am stuck with directv, boy do I hate this company. I read even if I close the bank account they can still take money out of my other account if it's at same bank.
    Dont believe everything you read. The person who posted that probably paid thru her husbands account once and doesnt remember she did. Thats the only way they would know about it. As for closing your account, you have to do it exactly as I said.... and dont let the bank convince you otherwise.

1) Pull all the money from your bank account.
    2) Close the bank account, do not pass go, do not tell the bank why, just close it.
    3) Wait 1-7 days for the account to clear out.
    4) Go in and open a new bank account.

The bank will try to convince you to open another account and link to your old one if you tell them what you are doing, so dont tell them. I've had to do this a few time due to things I purchased online, who secretly give my info to their partners, from which I got charged services I never ordered.. I no longer do this because of paypal. Paypal has a program where you can generate card numbers on the fly... and they are one time use numbers. You link your bank account to your paypal account... and when that number is used, that money is pulled from your bank. When/If they try to bill the same card again, it is rejected.... and they have no access to your bank account. That is how you deal with such companies.

And... I make the companies call ME. I then generate a one time use number at that time. Companies like DirecTV will try to bill without your permission if they cant reach you.... this stops them in their tracks.

I am on your side with this. I signed up for Direct-TV few months ago, I was promise to paid about $50 a month with the service I have and 3 receivers. Then I found out I was being charged $71, I donno what the hell they added and crap. I complained and wanted to cancel my service, they told me it can only be cancelled after 24 hours of activation. So I stuck paying that amount for 1 year... and I only get 8 chinese channels compared to if I get dish, I get 19. How patheic
    All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better.

Get your paperwork and take them to small claims court. That's probably the only way.
    ...john2k...

Webdude, so I will go to my bank tomorrow and close the bank account completely. I'll then go back a week later and open a new one. But then I read that directv will send the collection agency after you? It seems like it will be ongoing hassle with directv

I agreed to pay $60/month for 2 yrs and the sales guy assured me the price would be set for those 2 entire years which was outright LIE. They decided to almost DOUBLE my bill without any warning or notice and lock me in and then threaten to take $300 penalty.

I'd pay off the contract. But I'm surprised they didn't transfer you to the department in charge of saving the quitting customers. Maybe call back and don't complain at all, just tell them you want to cancel. After a brief time on hold you'll be speaking to the right person. And that person will be "shocked and saddened" that you are wanting to quit, and ready to deal.

Webdude, so I will go to my bank tomorrow and close the bank account completely. I'll then go back a week later and open a new one. But then I read that directv will send the collection agency after you? It seems like it will be ongoing hassle with directv

I agreed to pay $60/month for 2 yrs and the sales guy assured me the price would be set for those 2 entire years which was outright LIE. They decided to almost DOUBLE my bill without any warning or notice and lock me in and then threaten to take $300 penalty.
    Most of the time, all a collection agency really has the power to do is hassle you, and trust me, if they have your work number... they will call it. Their tactic is to annoy you until you cant handle it anymore and simply pay up. They will send tons of threatening letters, call many times a day, etc.

One thing you need to watch out for. There is a difference between them hiring a collection agency, and selling your account to one. If they sell it, your account is now considered paid up and they have to note that on your credit. I once had an issue with Ballys Gym. I moved to Utah, with no Ballys within 100 miles, and they wouldnt let me cancel... so I just didnt pay. Guess what... it shows on my credit fully paid and in good standing... because they sold it to a collections agency. Since I have no signed agreement with that collection agency, they cannot legally put the due balance on my credit. They lost money because they couldnt collect from me. It's a bet they take.

I dont know where you live, but here in Texas there are special protections because it is a homestead state. Nobody but the government can take my home, tools of trade, or vehicle, even via lawsuit.

I have a friend who works really high up at DirecTV, and this is what I was told before.

DTV makes you sign a contract, the first year is a fixed $xx, the second year it goes up to the full amount which should be $xx. Once it goes up once, they may NOT charge you more because you are under contract. You need to call their customer service. They have a specific department that is dedicated to keeping customers by lowering your bill when you tell them you want to cancel.

Also, they cannot charge your checking account anymore. When you pay check by phone, they ask can they make a one time ACH debit to your account, and by law, may not charge it more then that once unless authorized.
    I use GeekStorage for all my hosting needs. They truly are the best.

A presentation without a demonstration is just a conversation.

I'll call them again but it's really no use as I have called numerous times and even spoke to the manager and they lowered my bill a whooping $5 dollars for one month only. When I signed up they had a new year's special. The price was supposed to be $24.95 for 3 or 6 months (don't remember). After that the price was supposed to be ONLY $59.59/month for the rest the the ENTIRE 2 years. I made 100% sure of this and asked many times if that price was set and would never be raised. But then it was raised to $76... then they decided to raise it to $89 and now suddenly past 3 months I am being charged $100/month. It is a crazy a ripoff scam what they are doing!!!!

I want to close my bank account etc and leave directv but then I don't want some damned collection agency annoying me to death. Can't deal with this crap, I have other serious issues that are my priority I'm dealing with so I guess I will stay. Their sales guy was very pushy, told me whatever to make the sale is what caused this. I noticed same thing with dish network when I called them yesterday... I wanted to hang up and call back later to place the order and he didn't want to let me off the phone. Guess they work on commission.

Dish network says same thing directv... that the "price will NEVER go higher" than $45/month... EXACT same thing directv told me except directv said $59.59 was set price... hmmm
    Last edited by Frosty; 06-20-2009 at 04:26 PM.

BTW its called their Retention department.

Also since they legally broke their side of the contract, you are allowed to cancel the contract unless they go back to the normal price you were promised.
    I use GeekStorage for all my hosting needs. They truly are the best.

A presentation without a demonstration is just a conversation.

you've a ton of money. stop being a cheapskate and pay them.

owm
    ‹(¿)›
    Life's what you make it.

So Frosty, what is my reward if I get them off your case for you?

Somebody must have seen me on the news robbing that bank

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty
    I have a 2 yr contract with directv... when I signed up with them they flat out LIED when they told me I would NEVER pay more than $60/month.
    Thats the key right there,they said "NEVER" which is a bad word to use......

Good luck!

Tinyurl is the answer for posting long urls!!!

If you have a set price in your contract and they broke it, you are free to leave at no charge.

The sales guy told me whatever just to make the sale that much is obvious to me now. Did the same thing to my mother... same guy. Nothing I can do about that... it's a "he said/she said thing" my word against whomevers. I asked numerous times and he repeated the price is set at $59.59/month after the rebate period expires for the rest of the 2 yrs. Hogwash!

Dish Network told me the other day that their price is set at $45/month and will NEVER be raised for the 2 entire years... wonder if they are liars just like directv.

Just keep in mind... they have the proof of what you were told. They record all their calls.

I'd say you should have read the contract you agreed to. Changing your bank account is just shady. Why don't you ask them if you can lower your plan (or do it yourself online)? Your contract is for two years, but that is just to have DirecTV service, and not a particular plan or number of receivers. They do have more affordable plans, including a plan for $29.99 a month. I find it hard to believe that they have raised your rate repeatedly. Typical increases are yearly, and there is plenty of notification.

I've been a happy DirecTV customer for years. But then again, I did research into what I was getting into and knew what to expect.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast