Protecting a script from being copied

Let's say you've had a custom script programmed and you don't really want to work with the same programming team you had build it anymore.

But you're also scared to hire a new programmer because the script isn't encoded and it's a pretty complex script with some good new ideas (and old ones) and costed you a lot of money to have built and you don't want the programmer stealing the script and reselling it or using code from it to use for other work or for him to make the exact same website

Is there any realistic way of getting around this or is this just a fact of web business?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-disclosure_agreement

Then you could pursue legal action if they break the agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by cselzer View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-disclosure_agreement

Then you could pursue legal action if they break the agreement.
    Yeah I'm familiar with Non Disclosure Agreements... but do they really work?

How would I possibly be able to tell or keep track if someone I had sign one was using the code and whatnot from my script?

The best bet for you if you are going to have to have the code edited or what not is to have a local programming firm to do the work for you. Then if you have to have pursue legal action, it will be easier being that they are within your local jurisdiction. Plus, most local programming firms are generally honest.

Quote Originally Posted by _Brent_ View Post
    Yeah I'm familiar with Non Disclosure Agreements... but do they really work?

How would I possibly be able to tell or keep track if someone I had sign one was using the code and whatnot from my script?
    You'll never track it all down. The best you can really hope for is having a solid customer base of honest people.
    Jeff Standen, Chief of R&D, WebGroup Media LLC. - LinkedIn
    Cerb is a fast and flexible web-based platform for business collaboration and automation. http://www.cerbweb.com/

Quote Originally Posted by AugustaData View Post
    The best bet for you if you are going to have to have the code edited or what not is to have a local programming firm to do the work for you. Then if you have to have pursue legal action, it will be easier being that they are within your local jurisdiction. Plus, most local programming firms are generally honest.

This makes sense for sure, that's probably what I'll do!

Don't give the coder all of the code at one point. You should know enough about the code to split it up into parts and dish these off so the coder never gets the big picture.

or... you can put the code on a different server... and write a small XML api, inputs via html post, outputs via xml

... or just not worry about it and find something more important in life or business to fret about.

Somehow Open Source has become a multi-billion dollar industry despite the fact that hundreds of millions of lines of source code are available for the free download and use by anyone.

If that doesn't work for you, a simple NDA is more than sufficient for any reputable developer or consulting shop. Don't make it overly complicated nor try to be the lawyer you likely are not. Simple and to the point tends to work well. Do that and don't do business with people or firms who are not reputable and stop fretting, for life is too short.
    “Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under
    considerable economic stress at this period in history.”

Hire people you trust