Thread: New Web Host

Cool New Web Host

Hi there guys. Ive recently started my own web hosting 'business'. Im 16 years old, I have my own servers and site, but I need some of your advice. My problem is advertising, I dont know where to start or what to do. I dont have a vary large budget (about £50, which is what is left over from £2000) so, what you you surgest for me in this Extreemly tight budget?
    Last edited by josephgarbett; 06-19-2009 at 08:04 AM.

For £50, go for local advertising.

Don't go for online PPC, since the traffic is relatively low quality and can chew up your cash (I spent $75 in 17 hours using iNet's PPC program, and the traffic was awful quality - they just came to my homepage and gone no further)

Local advertising is the best place to start anyway - build up some loyal customers, and then from there word of mouth should help you out
    Plagiarism Guard - Protect Against Content Theft
    Tristan Perry - Personal blog

Ah okey, i see. So something like business cards or flyers? Something along those lines?

Quote Originally Posted by jwebhost View Post
    Ah okey, i see. So something like business cards or flyers? Something along those lines?
    Yes, that sort of thing This is only my opinion of course, but local advertising seems like the thing that most people suggest.

Flyers are good, as are newspaper/local magazine adverts etc.

Ah okey dokey. Thanks for the idea. Cheers.

Ah okey dokey. Thanks for the idea. Cheers.
    You're welcome, good luck with your host

Thank you =]. You too man.

you will not get much of a newspaper/local magazine advert for £50, not thats going to get you much of a return,
    Jon Black

Quote Originally Posted by DH - Tristan Perry View Post
    For £50, go for local advertising.

Don't go for online PPC, since the traffic is relatively low quality and can chew up your cash (I spent $75 in 17 hours using iNet's PPC program, and the traffic was awful quality - they just came to my homepage and gone no further)
    I don't agree with you here, PPC advertizing is a very effective solution.

How much does PPC advertising cost? I only have £50 left over. =/

To meet your small budget I would also recommend you to issue the promo codes and spread them among popular hosting directories, forums, hosting coupon websites. Hope that this will help.

How much does PPC advertising cost? I only have £50 left over. =/
    It depends on key phrases you are going to order and their popularity.

Ah, i see. So it could get costly. I might just stick with the flyers and promo codes for now. Thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by Andreyfidrya View Post
    I don't agree with you here, PPC advertizing is a very effective solution.
    Glad you've found it effective Maybe it's just iNet's PPC advertising which isn't too effective

http://www.clubflyers.com/product_in...products_id=97 will give you 500 flyers free (just pay shipping) if you let them print their ad on the back. With such a limited budget, I'd go for something like that and hit the streets locally. Since you'll have such a small number of flyers, I'd talk to people and be like "have you ever thought about getting your own site up and running?", and IF they say yes, give them a flyer, as opposed to just handing them to everyone silently which would waste 90% of them.
    Imeanwebhosting.com - Shared cpanel hosting, 99.9% uptime.
    10 min average ticket responses, softaculous, rvsitebuilder, and more!
    Reliable, affordable shared hosting. I Mean Web Hosting!

$50 USD will get me in for barely a week in a paper around here, and it'd be a tiny little ad :/. Hopefuly your 50 can take you further!
    madgenius.com - Corp.
    Web Hosting, Cloud VPS, and Dedicated Solutions since 1998
    Offering Windows, and Linux OS's

Hi there guys. Ive recently started my own web hosting 'business'. Im 16 years old, I have my own servers and site, but I need some of your advice.

Why do you use the word 'business' in quotes? Are you a legally registered business?

Oh yea, I have sent off the form to be listed as a business, but I havent recived anything back from them.

You should really cease your business operations until you become legally registered. Breaking business laws is a serious offense in most countries and it's not worth risking. Especially if you're not paying taxes properly.

I know what you mean, Im getting my self listed, I dont need to be paying tax's (for the moment), I've just spoken to a business directory, and My turn-over isnt enough to be classified as a taxable business.
    Last edited by josephgarbett; 06-20-2009 at 04:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by astrubhar View Post
    You should really cease your business operations until you become legally registered. Breaking business laws is a serious offense in most countries and it's not worth risking. Especially if you're not paying taxes properly.
    You can run a business as a sole trader, at least in the UK (where the OP is).

You break absolute zero laws here for running a business as a sole trader.

I know what you mean, Im getting my self listed, I dont need to be paying tax's (for the moment), I've just spoken to a business directory, and My turn-over isnt enough to be classified as a taxable business.
    If you run the business as a self employed venture (which would be recommended for your current turnover), you need to register here:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/selfemployed/...employed.shtml

And also fill in a CF-10 form and send that off (once registered/signed up):

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/forms/cf10.pdf

You don't need to register your business with the Companies House (unless you wish to receive the benefits becoming listed offers), although you do need to be self employed.
    Last edited by Tristan Perry; 06-20-2009 at 05:27 PM.

Yea, thats where i sent my form off to (hmrc) I didnt know i needed to be under self-employed though, I'll have to resend it then. Thanks for the heads up.

Yea, thats where i sent my form off to (hmrc) I didnt know i needed to be under self-employed though, I'll have to resend it then. Thanks for the heads up.
    That's fine, you're welcome Out of interest, what form did you send off then (if it wasn't a self employed one, and was to HMRC)?

It was the PAYE form thingy, but reading over it now, it is the wrong form, thanks for bringing that forward. XD

It was the PAYE form thingy, but reading over it now, it is the wrong form, thanks for bringing that forward. XD
    Ah okay. Yes, there are a whole bunch of forms out there.

The usual process would be:

Self employment forms >> Certificate of small earnings forms

And then you can send in NI, PAYE (etc) forms depending on turnover. (Assuming one goes down the self employment route)

Hey DH - Tristan Perry,

That's fine advice however, one thing you need to consider is, with local advertising specifically within venues of a local paper or getting air time over a particular radio station the key is repetition with your inserts. I put together creative’s for quite a few companies here locally and in order to generate brand awareness you need repetition. For example, here we have 24 Hours, Metro News, Toronto Sun, The Toronto Star, The Globe & Mail etc.

If you place a single insert for one edition it is likely that your ad will go unnoticed. In addition, by placing a single ad you build no loyalty with the readership. You need to put yourself in the shoes of a daily reader or listener. If you spot/hear an ad for the first time regarding a service or product would you really signup for that service or order that product from an organization/company you have never heard about?

From my experience in branding and lead generation if you run 2-3 inserts a week (preferably Tuesday through Thursday) for an entire quarter or at least 2 months you will see results. Then again you will need to leverage the ROI of running the ad. The signups you receive from your ad might actually be less revenue than what it cost to run the ads for the month but you would need to look over the long term. Usually with the hosting industry if you provide a valuable service with the right price point and target a specific audience retention rates are high so it will be worth it. The same concept would apply for online marketing/advertising (repetition). My point is, even if the OP runs an ad for all intents and purposes the ad will render minimal traction if any.

I apologize if I made this rather tedious but I thought I would provide some stats and facts from personal work experience.

Sincerely,
    LevelHosting Inc. - Unlimited Web Hosting at your level
    cPanel, CloudLinux, LiteSpeed, RVSiteBuilder Pro, Softaculous and 24/7 Support
    Meeting the demands of high traffic web sites at an affordable price!

Hi Matthew,
    Many thanks for the input I've never run a local advertising campaign (since my target audience isn't local UK), so I must admit I'm not the best to ask in this matter.

It seems you are though! Thanks for the input, and it does make sense that you'd need quite solid advertising for a quarter until you see results.

Thanks,
    Tristan Perry

Well I would suggest you build up Loyal Customers who can advertise by word of mouth. I have been using this tactic for long

Hello Tristan,

Not a problem. This thread and http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...=870029&page=7 started by the OP have developed into constructive feedback from the entire community. It sure feels good to see some positive advice.

Cheers,

Matthew
    LevelHosting Inc. - Unlimited Web Hosting at your level
    cPanel, CloudLinux, LiteSpeed, RVSiteBuilder Pro, Softaculous and 24/7 Support
    Meeting the demands of high traffic web sites at an affordable price!

Hello,

I think posting on multiple forums is a great way to generate traffic. Always be willing to help someone even if its not for personal gane. Also, make sure your website is designed and developed in such a way that people will remember your website. Choosing a domain name is also very important. You want something catchy that will grab your audience and make them remember you. I also think taking simple social network measures will increase your companies traffic. Get a facebook, twitter, dig, youtube, etc. Make these social networking features visible on your website so people may follow you accordingly. I think by following these methods you are able to increase your sales which will provide you with more money for advertising. I hope I've been helpful to you and your new business. Best of luck!
    We develop brand identity for the web.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Services ~ Custom Web Design, Branding & Identity, Development, Hosting & more!
    Portfolio ~ Websites, User Interfaces, Widgets & more!