VPS Memory, how much?

Hi,
    I'm new to VPS and just bought a VPS (256 MB RAM with virtuozzo/plesk control panel)

The first time I got the VPS and played around with the control panel, the memory usage reached 120 - 140 MB and oomguarpages was already on yellow zone. When I had a FTP problem, the staff said that I need to either upgrade the memory or optimize the script. But at that time I haven't uploaded one single file yet.

When I added a website (wordpress mu), the memory jumped to 210 MB even though it's a fresh install wordpress with one single post "hello world!" and no one visited the website but myself.

For me it's a bit weird, with no website the memory is already on yellow zone and with one or two websites the memory is on red zone and almost reached the limit.

So I need advice here, is my VPS condition normal? How much memory does it need to run a couple of websites (or one wordpress mu with a couple of subdomains)?

I just can't imagine if my website was fully running with multiple subdomains. I almost feel cheated because I paid a certain amount but can't really run a single website on it and especially being told I need to upgrade RAM before I can do anything.

Cheers

ps. I also have another VPS (256 MB RAM) running lighttpd with hypervm/kloxo, it runs really good with very low memory usage (around 20 MB with a new Wordpress MU fresh install) but after the whole lxlabs drama I'd like to move to a more stable control panel.

I'd personally recommend a Virtuozzo / cPanel combination. That may be a personal opinion as I just dislike Plesk for their control panel, but I do like Virtuozzo for virtualization.

The cPanel optimized version uses about 96MB of RAM out of box if I remember correctly with NO accounts on it.

Wordpress unfortunately is a bit heavy of a script to run. I'd recommend installing wp-super-cache if you haven't already on that wordpress blog. You can download it here:

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-super-cache/

In my personal opinion, you should be able to get away with hosting small sites on 256MB of RAM /w cPanel if your provider is willing to work with you and maybe optimize your VPS a bit for you. It seems your current provider pretty much just sounds like either upgrade, or you're out of luck. That's to bad. Personally I would feel cheated too.

The "256MB VPS cPanel" plans are teaser plans that I personally think shouldn't be offered at all. They are not practical and almost unusable. a 512MB VPS cPanel plan is barely usable either. Those plans are sadly offered to get you to upgrade. If each Apache instance / thread takes about 10-15MB of memory, you can see that you'll quickly run out of memory after less than 20 concurrent visits. That's without even mentioning wordpress.

I'm not sure LXAdmin is safe to use at this point considering the recent news but if you need a control panel there's either DirectAdmin or cPanel. The DA daemon uses relatively less resources.

Regards
    UNIXy - Fully Managed Servers and Clusters - Established in 2006
    [ cPanel Varnish Nginx Plugin ] - Enhance LiteSpeed and Apache Performance
    www.unixy.net - Los Angeles | Houston | Atlanta | Rotterdam
    Love to help pro bono (time permitting). joe > unixy.net

512MB of RAM with cPanel VPS Optimized version should be ok for low traffic sites. If you optimize it some, you can certainly run a few more sites on there no problem. That amount of RAM is really the sweet spot for cost and "usefulness."

I wouldn't even consider running cPanel with less than 512 MB. I know from experience how sluggish it runs. I recently had one website on a cPanel VPS with 256MB ram and i contacted the support dept about it. They immediately recommended upgrading the server, to which i thought "this is just a ploy to get more money out of me". So i left it at 256 for another week, then i did upgrade to just 512 MB and the difference was substantial. The website was snappy, and server RAM (percentage) usage was obviously down.

Quote Originally Posted by AquariusADMIN View Post
    I'd personally recommend a Virtuozzo / cPanel combination. That may be a personal opinion as I just dislike Plesk for their control panel, but I do like Virtuozzo for virtualization.

The cPanel optimized version uses about 96MB of RAM out of box if I remember correctly with NO accounts on it.

Wordpress unfortunately is a bit heavy of a script to run. I'd recommend installing wp-super-cache if you haven't already on that wordpress blog. You can download it here:

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-super-cache/

In my personal opinion, you should be able to get away with hosting small sites on 256MB of RAM /w cPanel if your provider is willing to work with you and maybe optimize your VPS a bit for you. It seems your current provider pretty much just sounds like either upgrade, or you're out of luck. That's to bad. Personally I would feel cheated too.
    I chose plesk over cpanel since virtuozzo & plesk are from same company, so I thought they'd work best together. So what is cpanel optimised? How do I optimise my cPanel?

Thanks for the advice

Quote Originally Posted by UNIXy View Post
    The "256MB VPS cPanel" plans are teaser plans that I personally think shouldn't be offered at all. They are not practical and almost unusable. a 512MB VPS cPanel plan is barely usable either. Those plans are sadly offered to get you to upgrade. If each Apache instance / thread takes about 10-15MB of memory, you can see that you'll quickly run out of memory after less than 20 concurrent visits. That's without even mentioning wordpress.

I'm not sure LXAdmin is safe to use at this point considering the recent news but if you need a control panel there's either DirectAdmin or cPanel. The DA daemon uses relatively less resources.

Regards
    I know! the 256 MB with a control panel is just awful. I really like lighttpd but there's no control panel other than lxadmin. I'm considering DA, how much memory does it use with no website at all?

Quote Originally Posted by The Universes View Post
    512MB of RAM with cPanel VPS Optimized version should be ok for low traffic sites. If you optimize it some, you can certainly run a few more sites on there no problem. That amount of RAM is really the sweet spot for cost and "usefulness."
    Cheers