Nagios installation

I have installed nagios 3.06 on my centos server. Anybody know the steps to configure this nagios to check my other servrers.

Houston, Texas, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by ianeeshps View Post
    I have installed nagios 3.06 on my centos server. Anybody know the steps to configure this nagios to check my other servrers.
    Here's a Nagios crash course:

UNIXy - Fully Managed Servers and Clusters - Established in 2006
    [ cPanel Varnish Nginx Plugin ] - Enhance LiteSpeed and Apache Performance - Los Angeles | Houston | Atlanta | Rotterdam
    Love to help pro bono (time permitting). joe >

Configuring Nagios is very easy. Initially, you may find it difficult to understand how to configure Nagios by reading the guides available. Eventually, you will understand everything. There are also Nagios groups on the internet to which you can subscribe and take help from the experts. One such group is available in
    Prashant T.

Don't run after Success. Run after Excellence and Success will soon follow.

If you wish to monitor load avg or disk usage ( remote system's resource), you can use either snmp plugin or nrpe plugin for nagios.

Quote Originally Posted by benthetech4u View Post

If you wish to monitor load avg or disk usage ( remote system's resource), you can use either snmp plugin or nrpe plugin for nagios.

If you have a choice on a new setup I would suggest nrpe over snmp.
    John W, CISSP, C|EH
    MS Information Security and Assurance - Server Administration and Security - Managed VPS and Dedicated Servers with VIP Service

Chicago, IL
    There's several different kinds of Configurations to nagios. To say "it's easy" is leaving out a few things. Nagios itself can turn into a nightmare of dependency issues once you start using all of it's available features. However, a very very basic setup is fairly easy.

Once you start *really* using nagios' features (which you may or may not depending on your scenario), you're going to see that adding a single server can become a fairly tedious process.

If you're going to start pushing it, I'd strongly suggest grabbing one of the several available web/mysql backed frontends for it. The one I happen to be a fan of is called "lilac" (formerly fruity). It has support for the new Nagios 3 structure and features and is probably the most up to date out of the batch. However you really should know that it may require a bit of tinkering to get going properly. Welcome to opensource.

With a MySQL backed nagios, you have quite a few different options available to you. Once you get config file generation worked out, you'll be able to work with just about any of Nagios' features in a web based frontend. If you want to go a step further, you can figure out the sql queries that Fruity is using and then just read/write to the db directly. However this may be a bit above and beyond what you're wanting to do.

I'd suggest taking a read through the documentation (yes it's repetitive and kind of sucks, certainly no stephen king novel ) but it's well worth the time as you'll fully understand what Nagios is capable of.

Also as has been mentioned quite a few times, for remote checks, NRPE is your best friend. In a nutshell, you upload scripts (or predefine them in the nrpe config file) when you install the NRPE daemon on the machines you want to monitor. From there on out, Nagios just triggers NRPE on the remote machine, which in turn executes the scripts to check for whatever it is you're trying to monitor, and then it hands it back to the nagios machine. You can do some pretty cool stuff with NRPE from this standpoint.

Also, is a really handy resource for the nagios beginner. It has quite a few pre-written checks, frontends, backends, etc for Nagios. It's a bit of a pain to navigate it with the new design, but just poke around.

Hrm, this may make good blog post material. =P

Once you have configured nagaios on your master server, you can setup normal ping and http monitoring on your other servers using the nagios configuration file.

However, if you wish to monitor other proceses such as remote server load, remote disk space etc, then you will need to install nrpe on remote server.

Go with NRPE ..that needs xinetd on the remote machine . you can do that by yum.
    for mysql checks create a db and user so that nagios server access those.

To remotely moniter servers with nagios this can be done in the three ways,

1)SSH - It is possible to execute Nagios plugins on remote Linux machines through SSH. There is a check_by_ssh plugin that allows you to do this. But using SSh is not ideal good option you should go for the others.
    2)SNMP - is a network management protocol used the more expert system administrator. Using SNMP, you can access information about the router, temperature etc. in your server room to read statistics, alarm and status messages.
    3)NRPE - It is the more easier and readily manageable. It is designed that allows nagios to moniter the local resources Like CPU load, memory usage, etc on the remote machine.
    Support Facility | 24/7 web hosting technical support services
    Technical support | Server management | Data migration

Technical Articles