Where to spend $4k on advertising?

So I will have about $4000 as an advertising budget. I want to produce the absolute best results with this money. I'm currently not worried about branding as much as finding a solid client base. I will be concentrating on reseller services in (3-5 different countries) and server management. For now I am ruling out local advertising because i just do not have the time to deal with webdesign and what not. I have already decided to do sticky posts here and I think I might stay away from google ads (you really just need a larger budget to play with the big boys there) . Anyone have any suggestions as to where this money should go?

I don't think that you should stay from google ads. The main advantage of PPC advertizing is that it is suitable for any budget.

What about advertising on Web-providers. Like BT, Tiscali and all big internet providers? They have MILLIONS of people going on to their site everyday. Dont do a click-per-pay, or your go bust XD, but pay for a space for a month or something like that. Just an idea though.

" I don't think that you should stay from google ads. The main advantage of PPC advertizing is that it is suitable for any budget."

I have heard unless you have a big budget, you need to stay away from google ads. I hear that it is not as productive as it should be.

"What about advertising on Web-providers. Like BT, Tiscali and all big internet providers? They have MILLIONS of people going on to their site everyday. "

I'm not sure if this market would be a targeted enough for the hosting market

Any one else have any ideas?

I'd do more than a sticky post here. Get a banner up on webhostingtalk. From what I remember, it's only a few hundred per month, and you can target specific forums (so your banner ONLY shows in the reseller forum or whatever forum you choose).

You may also want to give hostvoice.com a try. I've heard nothing but good about them, and you'd be getting very specific leads.
    Imeanwebhosting.com - Shared cpanel hosting, 99.9% uptime.
    10 min average ticket responses, softaculous, rvsitebuilder, and more!
    Reliable, affordable shared hosting. I Mean Web Hosting!

A banner on WHT is a few hundred a day.
    StableHost .:. Unlimited web hosting done right. Experience the unlimited difference.
    PingThat .:. Is your website down? Find out now with our QuickChecker technology.

Google advertisement can be adjusted as per your budget as well. You have the option to set a limit -- However going with sticky and banner ads will be targeted to unqiue customers.
    www.24x7servermanagement.com
    Server Management, Server Security, Server Monitoring.
    India's Leading Managed Service Provider !! Skype: techs24x7

You dont need big $$ on Adwords. What you need is a creative wording which entices people to click and buy from you.

One thing I noticed in Adwords is to put a PRICE on the ads copy. This way it deters people who want cheap/free hosting from clicking your ads.

Another tip is to just stick to Google Search only i.e. dont need to do the google in content ads.

Quote Originally Posted by Andreyfidrya View Post
    I don't think that you should stay from google ads. The main advantage of PPC advertizing is that it is suitable for any budget.
    From my personal experience with adwords, at least regarding the subject hosting, it's nearly impossible to compete unless you have an infinite budget, or want to settle for keywords which are maybe searched 10 times a day.

Talking

Make use of Ask sponsored Listings,also sticky's here can also be quite useful.

Webhosting-10.com
    Webhosting-10.com Is now a Google PR 6
    We're Looking for Advertisers on our site (Anyone Interested?)

- launch an affiliate system (shareashale seems to be very cost effective or host your own aff) and promote it
    - try a variety of CPC like google, yahoo etc.
    - banner advertisement in big sites like wht, sitepoint, digitalpoint, hostingnews etc.
    - publish press releases
    - do some seo, create social profiles etc.
    Antonis Adamakos @ FuzzFree :: Fully Managed Web Hosting, Development, Online Marketing

In terms of a cost per acquisition, it might be better to acquire a very small, perhaps loss-making hosting business for ~$4k.

CPA on Google Adwords tends to be pretty high these days.
    Darren Lingham - UK Webhosting Ltd. - (0800) 024 2931
    Tsohost.co.uk - Quality UK Windows and Linux hosting since 2003
    UK WordPress Hosting - Fast, easy, cloud based WordPress Hosting

Hi

1.) dont avoid google ppc, limit your budget on goolge
    2.) try press release
    3.) give advt on WHT (cost few hundred $ per day)
    WebHost18.com - Domains | Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | VPS Server
    Bravo Technologies - Complete Network and Security Solutions Provider

A $20/daily $600 Monthly Facebook Ads campaign couldn't hurt. They have a great ad system and reach real people.

We wasted thousands with Google... We had a marketing company on retainer that created our ads, we dumped 25k into Google Ads and turned less than 300 customers.

Google Ads is great for niche markets (IRC Hosting) but normal shared hosting... Just isn't worth it. When we were an IRC host, Google Ads turned 10-18 customers a day average. We had signups faster than we could handle but tons of fraud too...

If I had $4,000 for marketing, I'd put $500 to marketing and the other $3500 to acquiring other small hosts with paying customers. (Even 25-30 clients x 2 purchases) would net you more than you would theoretically gain with $4,000 in marketing.
    FiberPeer.Com | | REAL DDoS Protection | Cloud Hosting | VPS | Dedicated Servers | High Bandwidth Hosting | 1Gbps-10Gbps Unmetered
    FiberPeer DDoS Mitigation | ethProxy Upgraded! | 14-Years Experience | Emergency 24/7 Support
    Visit us @ www.fiberpeer.com

How would you transfer the customers to your company? Or would they just stay there and manage several hosting companies?

Depends how you purchase them. We normally purchase complete businesses and keep all of the companies intact. It has proven to be pretty successful for us. Everyone has their way of doing business. Many merge into one corporate name, we like to keep things broken up.
    FiberPeer.Com | | REAL DDoS Protection | Cloud Hosting | VPS | Dedicated Servers | High Bandwidth Hosting | 1Gbps-10Gbps Unmetered
    FiberPeer DDoS Mitigation | ethProxy Upgraded! | 14-Years Experience | Emergency 24/7 Support
    Visit us @ www.fiberpeer.com

That's interesting, care to share any tips with a newb about buying companies?

Quote Originally Posted by serverorigin View Post
    We wasted thousands with Google... We had a marketing company on retainer that created our ads, we dumped 25k into Google Ads and turned less than 300 customers.
    I think a Cost Per Acquisition of $100-$150 is pretty standard these days for a shared hosting client.

Affiliate payouts from some of the larger companies are a good indication of what CPA they're working with.
    Darren Lingham - UK Webhosting Ltd. - (0800) 024 2931
    Tsohost.co.uk - Quality UK Windows and Linux hosting since 2003
    UK WordPress Hosting - Fast, easy, cloud based WordPress Hosting

the best advertising is google AdWords
    also try yahoo

Quote Originally Posted by 01globalnet View Post
    - launch an affiliate system (shareashale seems to be very cost effective or host your own aff) and promote it
    - try a variety of CPC like google, yahoo etc.
    - banner advertisement in big sites like wht, sitepoint, digitalpoint, hostingnews etc.
    - publish press releases
    - do some seo, create social profiles etc.
    I think this is the way to go since you are on a limited budget...social networking has helped many companies expand.
    Stephanie Ostheimer
    Director of Account Management
    SingleHop Dedicated Servers

Thanks for all of your opinions. I think I am going to stay away from google. I might do some other form of PPC. I will also look into a press release and some banner ads. Again, thanks for your input.

try some improved seo. Better search listings = more $$$

Dont just buy banner on website for one or two months, it wont be good ROI as it should be.
    You need to create a precise marketing plan and define your targeted audience.