Upgrade from reseller to VPS?

A question for the hosts really..

Just thinking about purchasing some reseller hosting. How difficult is it to upgrade this to a VPS after a while? Is it a simple process, so small html sites will automatically be moved successfully, or is there more work required? Would I save myself alot of hassle by going for a VPS now, instead of a reseller?

Quote Originally Posted by oasis786 View Post

Just thinking about purchasing some reseller hosting. How difficult is it to upgrade this to a VPS after a while? Is it a simple process, so small html sites will automatically be moved successfully, or is there more work required? Would I save myself alot of hassle by going for a VPS now, instead of a reseller?
    you may have a small downtime with nameservers but you can have the current nameservers redirect with about a few minutes of downtime. I have done this in over a year so im not 100% sure how you would do what you want. for your last question I would start with a reseller and get like a cheap 5-10 dollar linux vps and learn how to do security run a small website off of it etc to learn what your doing so if and when your reseller cant handle anymore you can spend money on a decent vps. without wasting your time and getting hacked.
    Leader of the new anti sig spamming club.

It will be a pretty easy process if you choose the same control panel for your reseller and VPS server. For example, cpanel/whm to cpanel/whm transfers are fairly easy. If you go with a host that offers both reseller/vps solutions, they should be able to transfer your sites without any downtime.

i recommend that you take a reseller account with cpanel. when you feel its time to move on to a vps order it with cpanel at least 2 weeks before you plan to migrate, take time to secure it, there are plenty of tutorials on the web to talk you through it. It is possible to move sites to a new server WITH NO DOWNTIME. I am not going to go into it now, but it is possible. Once you have the new vps secured you can use cpanel move to put the stuff on the new vps, all will be sweet
    If you need help about anything to do with WHT, check out the Helpdesk

Assuming your reseller is using cPanel/WHM, get cPanel/WHM on the VPS, and use the WHM account copy feature to migrate the reseller to the VPS.

If you use the same control panel in Reselling and VPS, migrations can be done easily. In fact, if you get a semi-managed vps or managed vps, the provider would help you migrate (if its on the same control panel).

My suggestion, use cPanel/WHM or Directadmin.
    Jweeb Solutions
    Singapore Web Consulting & Solutions
    Web Consulting - Web Hosting - Web Design & Development and more...
    http://www.jweeb.com.sg - Making the Web Simple!

Just thinking about purchasing some reseller hosting. How difficult is it to upgrade this to a VPS after a while?
    Depending on who you select for your reseller account, a VPS or entry level Dedicated Server would be considered a *downgrade* not an upgrade - its all dependant on whether they oversell, allow you to oversell, overload their servers or not, limit both reseller numbers and resold account resources, the kind of machines they use ...

As to a migration from reseller to vps/ds, depending on the CP your reseller has, it can be anything from trivial to impossible, and many managed vps providers will assist or do it for you
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    Buying Web Hosts and Domain Registrars Today @ hostacquisitions.co.uk
    UK Web Hosting | UK VPS | UK Dedicated Servers | ADSL/FTTC | Backup/DR | Cloud
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

Your host should be able to take care of this for you. Clients go from Shared > VPS and VPS > Dedicated all the time so it's only natural your host would make this as painless as possible. If you're choosing a provider now then be sure to ask them about this in your pre-sales queries.

Mu suggestion is obviously Plesk with Virtuozzo.
    Laurence Flynn @ atOmicVPS LTD
    Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting Solutions Powered by OnApp
    Fully Managed [Shared][Reseller][Cloud VPS] [Dedicated]
    Featuring the atOmicSTACK ● Speed ● Performance ● Reliability

Quote Originally Posted by NexDog View Post
    Your host should be able to take care of this for you. Clients go from Shared > VPS and VPS > Dedicated all the time so it's only natural your host would make this as painless as possible. If you're choosing a provider now then be sure to ask them about this in your pre-sales queries.

Mu suggestion is obviously Plesk with Virtuozzo.
    Ok

@ The OP, I believe he should go with a cPanel reseller account, and then upgrade to the cPanel VPS once the time comes. I enjoy Plesk, I really do. I however personally don't get that same enjoyment out of working with Plesk. We get a lot more support requests from Plesk customers then we do cPanel considering the ratio we have of clients (much more cPanel clients, but the average Plesk user seems to run into more problems they cannot fix)

A cPanel reseller account to cPanel VPS is a relatively seamless process, especially if you stay with the same provider for your reseller hosting provider AND vps hosting provider.

Aw, we get absolutely no support requests from cPanel clients. Oh wait, we don't have any.
    Laurence Flynn @ atOmicVPS LTD
    Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting Solutions Powered by OnApp
    Fully Managed [Shared][Reseller][Cloud VPS] [Dedicated]
    Featuring the atOmicSTACK ● Speed ● Performance ● Reliability

If its cPanel to cPanel then it should be no trouble at all.

The DNS will have to be changed and there will be very little of any real downtime.

Regards

Once it's Cpanel > Cpanel it will only take a few hours depending on how much is being moved.

When you do plan to move make sure you have a few days left on the reseller account to avoid losing any files and it means there will be no downtime during the DNS update.