ConnectSwitch Review

The following is a review of ConnectSwitch based on my personal experiences and thoughts, as a customer.

I did 1 month review of ConnectSwitch 3 months ago, but there was some database problems and i cant find the review anymore, so i thought it would be good to give re-review of connectswitch with much longer timescale.

Pricing 10/10

I´m currently on their UK node, just had change from OpenVZ to Virtuozzo.

20gb HDD
    400gb Bandwidth
    384MB RAM
    1 IP
    Shared 100mbit

For under 5£/month.

Support 6/10

I have been contacting their customer support always when there have been some problem, and response times have been from 10 minutes to 12h.

However for 12h response time ticket their sales-guy told me that their technical support is overloaded at the moment.

"Hello,

Our technical staff is working hard on hypervm/openvz systems migration to virtuozzo,
    this migration is being done to ensure the quality of our services due to
    recent problems with Hypervm.

This is in the progress very sorry for the delay, queue of support tickets are much greater than normal. "

I really did like this update from them, considering that they are really trying to improve their support after the node crash about month ago when there wasnt any communication between customers and support for like one day.

Reliability 8/10

My VPS there have been running smoothly and without any slowings.

Had two downtimes, first when node crashed for like 18 hours( ) and second one when i did some wrong configures with my vps and all services died there. That was unfornately in the time when HyperVM were disabled(it is still disabled if im right) and Sam came to me asking if i would want to change to Virtuozzo, which i of course wanted to do as i needed some Control Panel to reboot my server.

Summary

As i use my vps just for playing with linux and hosting own websites, it suits for me perfectly. For business vps i wouldnt recommend it yet, but if they can promise with the Virtuozzo stability, why not.

Big thumbs up for their initiative to make the change from OpenVZ to Virtuozzo, even when cutting some of the profits of their own pockets. As i can see from these forums, many other hosts are still thinking what they should do, in the same time ConnectSwitch have migrated around 50%(just a guess) of their customers to Virtuozzo based servers.

Final note: I am very pleasant with the service provided by ConnectSwitch team.

Test ip for verification: dev.ihkuin.info

Big hugs for whole ConnectSwitch team, you deserve it in these times!

Thanks for the RandomCoder of this review layout, i did stole it from showthread.php?t=869637 hope you dont mind, hehe.

Nice review, I used to be with ConnectSwitch as a backup provider, I found their pricing very good too

Quote Originally Posted by laimi190 View Post
    Thanks for the RandomCoder of this review layout, i did stole it from showthread.php?t=869637 hope you dont mind, hehe.

Test ip for verification: dev.ihkuin.info
    Is this for your VPS or for a shared webhosting account you have in addition?

Quote Originally Posted by Shoel View Post
    Is this for your VPS or for a shared webhosting account you have in addition?
    dev. is for my VPS, of course. (node ip is 94.229.73.68)

Shared hosting is located in 'ihkuin.info' which is pointed to ip 193.33.186.228(shared.connectswitch.com server)

Thanks for the review, nice to see another satisfied customer as well as myself.

You are joking right?

well this couldn't be further from my experience, on a uk node.

They are a small outfit and are in way above their heads. If everything is going ok, then you are bound to find them ok. As soon as there is a problem with your VPS and it isn't a simple fix, bang, they are scr**ed.

Then, when they can't fix it, they bury their heads in the sand and completely ignore all correspondance.

I will give my 3 month review later today, my quick review is Stay Away, they are amateurs. There are many, many better outfits, give them your hard earned money, not this shower.

i had a windows VPS with connectswitch but it randomly went offline and i contacted suppport many times and they never got back to me

Quote Originally Posted by CTID View Post
    well this couldn't be further from my experience, on a uk node.

They are a small outfit and are in way above their heads. If everything is going ok, then you are bound to find them ok. As soon as there is a problem with your VPS and it isn't a simple fix, bang, they are scr**ed.

Then, when they can't fix it, they bury their heads in the sand and completely ignore all correspondance.

I will give my 3 month review later today, my quick review is Stay Away, they are amateurs. There are many, many better outfits, give them your hard earned money, not this shower.
    No, im not joking.

I agree with you, they are small outfit, but when there is not a problem, i find their support fast and friendly.

For the price we are paying for Virtuozzo hosting, i dont even dare to say rude things about the support, as i know that you get what you are paying. And i dont have problem with that.

(I don't want to drag your review down, but I feel a reply to the current discussion is needed)

when there is not a problem, i find their support fast and friendly.
    Yeah, it's not like support is handy when it's actually needed.

I have to disagree with your logic of it being cheap somehow exusing the apparent lack of customer care, though. To explain why, let me present you with a few quotes from their website:

ConnectSwitch are a UK based hosting company aiming to provide a premium level service at a fraction of the normal cost.
    (...) and should you encounter a problem, our knowledgable team of support techicians are ready to promptly respond.
    Now, when a business promisses premium level of service and promt response from a team of knowledgable technicians in case you ever encounter any problems - that is what they should keep, and you as a customer should not expect anything else.

Regardless of how low they choose to price their service, they still have to deliver what they promise. If they cannot do that, they either have to promise less or up their prices to cover it. It's really as simple as that. Any thing else is misleading advertising and.. well.. I'd go as far as saying a scam.

I'd go as far as saying a scam.
    No that is a bit far, I was scammed by Level3hosting, paid for a service then they ran off with the money leaving many people without service and money. In no way do I feel scammed by CS, mind you I seem to be lucky and have got good service from them so I won't complain. Sure some of you guys are pissed off with CS as they appear to have done you wrong, we get that. I got flamed for posting on a negative review of CS that I was happy with the service, which was way out of order. The OP is happy, good for him and this review will be read along with the other positive and negative reviews of connectswitch.

Connect switch (connectswitch?) may be fine when everything is working. They be fine when there is a routine fault and they can deal with it. But, give them anything serious and they can't handle it. As far as I can see there are two guys doing technical support. One of the guys, Sam, owns the company and it's him who emails people when they are late paying their bill ( yes, I was late one month!) So the owner, is technical support and billing / finance. I bet he makes the tea too!

I wouldn't go as far as to call them scammers, but they should certainly be sued under the trade descriptions act.

They are currently ignoring ALL my tickets and I have a serious fault. They obviously either don't know how to fix it or it is a significant problem across the node. I will do a screenshot to show them all and how they are ignoring them if you wish.

I'm sorry, but it is a small, tin pot company run by one man and his dog. I certainly wouldn't trust a business website on their VPS. AVOID!

i've been with cswitch for a few months now and find them to be great.

they are small i expect 2-3 people, but i've never had a problem with that (well, until now the hypervm/virtuozzo migration isn't going well for my node). i usually email instead of using the ticket system.

the prices are pretty cheap for unmanaged, i've even been offered some upgrades for free.

during this time with hypervm problems, i think its harsh to complain about lack of instant support, its got to be causing a lot of work and headaches, i expect a lot of hosting companies are just folding instead of dealing with it, so lets not cause more stress.

Quote Originally Posted by dennyjames View Post
    No that is a bit far (...) In no way do I feel scammed by CS, mind you I seem to be lucky and have got good service from them so I won't complain
    I merely said (as a general note) that promising to deliver something for a given sum of money and then knowingly not delivering that promise is in the same region as scam. Whatever way you bend it, it is still an intentional deception made for personal gain.

I got flamed for posting on a negative review of CS that I was happy with the service, which was way out of order. The OP is happy, good for him and this review will be read along with the other positive and negative reviews of connectswitch.
    This is getting off-topic, but if you are refering to my review - sina6002 merely asked you to stay on topic. No-one flamed you in any way.

Additionally I can repeat that my own intention by posting here is not to drag the review down in any sense. I merely made a valid and imo a fairly sensible comment on the ongoing discussion in this topic, something I feel I have every right to do.

CTID: Perhaps you should post your own review to give people your side of the story?

during this time with hypervm problems, i think its harsh to complain about lack of instant support
    That depends on how much time that passes before they get a reply. That you do not get a reply within the hour is fair enough - but going several days without one, like so many seem to experience (and not just in relation to the HyperVM issues), is critique worthy. Whether that should be discussed in this thread or not is a different matter though, so I'll leave it at that.
    Last edited by Shoel; 06-19-2009 at 08:14 AM.

I merely said (as a general note) that promising to deliver something for a given sum of money and then knowingly not delivering that promise is in the same region as scam. Whatever way you bend it, it is still an intentional deception made for personal gain.

This is getting off-topic, but if you are refering to my review - sina6002 merely asked you to stay on topic. No-one flamed you in any way.

Additionally I can repeat that my own intention by posting here is not to drag the review down in any sense. I merely made a valid and imo a fairly sensible comment on the ongoing discussion in this topic, something I feel I have every right to do.

CTID: Perhaps you should post your own review to give people your side of the story?

That depends on how much time that passes before they get a reply. That you do not get a reply within the hour is fair enough - but going several days without one, like so many seem to experience (and not just in relation to the HyperVM issues), is critique worthy. Whether that should be discussed in this thread or not is a different matter though, so I'll leave it at that.
    The thread I was referring to was not yours I don't think as there were other comments from other members also. I appreciate you have had a bad deal from CS and your opinion is as valid as anyone's. I merely disagree with the term "scam" in this case but you have your view on it and I have mine.

The thread I was referring to was not yours (...) I merely disagree with the term "scam" in this case but you have your view on it and I have mine.
    Fair enough. Wrt. scam, it's at best misleading and dishonest to knowingly continue down that path. Perhaps scam sounds a little harsh, but scam (or fraud) does not have to be theft (take the money and run sort of thing) - even though that's what most people associate with the word.

Misleading someone with the intention to earn more money ends up in the same area. What I was trying to say is that pricing low and promising everything between here and the moon without being able to deliver is not acceptable like laimi190 suggested in his/her's reply to CTID.

I think Shoel is angry and frustrated with connectswitch and their ineptness, hence the emotive scam comment. Had I posted a day or so ago I would have used far harsher words!! I would say they are amateurs, only offering customer support when it is straighforward.

He11, they even advised one customer to find themselves another provider!

I will definitely post my own appraisal today or tomorrow. Damn work keeps getting in the way!

I agree with you, they are small outfit, but when there is not a problem, i find their support fast and friendly.

For the price we are paying for Virtuozzo hosting, i dont even dare to say rude things about the support, as i know that you get what you are paying. And i dont have problem with that.
    fast if they can fix it. Non-existant if they can't - they just IGNORE you!!

So let me get this right, because it is cheap you would be happy when you have a serious problem (like MANY are having) they do absolutely nothing. I mean nothing, zilch, nada. But hey, they are cheap, so what the hell! I can't SSH to make changes, notta problem, I don't dare say anything, as they are cheap'.
    Come here, and give me a hug

I think Shoel is angry and frustrated with connectswitch and their ineptness, hence the emotive scam comment.
    No, absolutely not. Nothing I am posting here is out of anger (I am merely not happy with, and disagree with their [and others like them] way of doing business), and I believe I have provided a reasonabe explanation of why I used such a word and what it actually means. Why on earth you'd think it's an emotive comment is beyond me.

I've been ******y emotive, I can tell you!!!

So let me get this right, because it is cheap you would be happy when you have a serious problem (like MANY are having) they do absolutely nothing.
    They have done pretty much for me, Changed from OpenVZ to Virtuozzo for example(They didnt even had scheduled my nodes migration, and they still offered me that chance). And all this happened in the same time as their support was being a human control-panel. (HyperVM disabled)

Just a question, how many other "cheap hosts" are on virtuozzo/have migrated their customers to virtuozzo?

But i agree with someone who pasted quote from their website about Premium Support, it isnt Premium. For the profit they make, it cant be near to Premium.

They have done pretty much for me, Changed from OpenVZ to Virtuozzo for example(They didnt even had scheduled my nodes migration, and they still offered me that chance). And all this happened in the same time as their support was being a human control-panel. (HyperVM disabled)

Just a question, how many other "cheap hosts" are on virtuozzo/have migrated their customers to virtuozzo?

But i agree with someone who pasted quote from their website about Premium Support, it isnt Premium. For the profit they make, it cant be near to Premium.
    You can share your your honest experiences mate. Your best host may not be the best for the others. So there are various opinions based on each ones experiences. Thanks for your review. Hope your experience will stay the same in future also. Best of luck.

Mmmm.

My node, with CS, has been down since Thursday 12th June. Yup, that is over 8 days and counting!!

Still no joy from CS. Grrrrrrrrrrrr

And just in case anyone thinks I am joking, you can follow my story that was in this thread before said thread was closed.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=866784

Hello

Our VPS Servers are advertised as unmanaged now by no means am I trying to be smart here but maybe some of you need to re-look into what unmanaged actually means.

We have sucessfully migrated over 50% of our customers over to virtuozzo and the remaining ones have been intergrated to vdsmanager.

Here is my brief synopsis of what unmanaged means.

A host that provides unmanaged vps servers or even dedicated servers are only responsible for network uptime power SLA and hostnode uptime.

We have sucessfully moved over to new control panels far quicker than the majority of other hosts and there for have provided a service which meets what is advertised.

I have seen other reviews of the CS company on WHT regarding the majority of customers not happy. I would like to make a note that it is acutally the minority and those who think they are correct in their assumptions should actually check the WHT usernames to find who are constantly needing to voice an assumption or something that is far from the truth.

With this being said everyone is entitled to their opinion and free speech.

I realise things need to improve and now that we have sucessfully migrated over to virtuozzo or vdsmanager I shall being work on bringing service back to how it should be.

Sam

Sam, I am the minority that is not happy.

Not only is my node still down, 20 days later, I notice that as of yesterday, the IP address seems to have been allocated to another client.

What on earth is going on?