Thread: RapidVPS Review

RapidVPS Review

First and foremost, this is not a VPS review. I have their lowest level of shared hosting currently.

Ok so I've been hosted at www.rapidvps.com for 9 months now; from september last year. This has been my first paid host and has been absolutely phenomenal. This is the longest I've stayed on any one host, and understandable given that before I was using free hosts.
    1. Monthly payments. None of that crap where they show you the price for a 3 years advance payment. In fact, they don’t even offer whole year sales (But actually, at the time of writing, they’re trying to fill up some shared hosting space so they are, but they’re still keeping the monthly payment an option!). I don’t want to pay for a year + at a time. What if something happens at that host? I don’t want to have wasted hundreds of dollars paying for all that surplus hosting when the host turns out to be a flop and I want to move.
    2. Fast servers. Oh yeah, paid hosting is a ton faster than free hosting, even on a shared plan.
    3. Features. Pretty much everything I could ever ask for. MySQL (unlimited), web based email, auto responders, unlimited domains, PHP, server status page, and a whole lot more
    4. Support. Honestly, their support is absolutely astounding. I think I've submitted only 5-6 tickets over the past 9 months, and the majority of them have been answered within a single hour and those that weren't were answered within 24 hours. It seems like whenever anyone employed by Rick (owner of RVPS) has spare time, he goes to checkout the support center because it seems I've gotten 5 different people by now, and I don't think their sole job will be customer support because it seems like it's a smallish company. Recently, the server was giving me random 5-30 second page loads, and the guys actually moved me onto a new shared server (NO downtime, NOTHING wrong, all that was necessary was a change of DNS servers, and that's easy ). The load on the server has only spiked high twice (see below for screenshot), and the servers really can take a beating. Also those RVPS guys are just fantastic about fixing server load. Usually within a half hour of the guy recognizing the problem, the server's load is down to at least 20 (which is still high), and within an hour it's down to normal. PM me if you'd like some other examples of their fantastic support, I don't feel like spending the time writing up on more examples right now
    5. Not oversold! That means they offer each account what they can handle. While this may be a turn off because of a relatively low amount of bandwidth, it adds up to better performance, and it's shared hosting anyway so chances are if you're using that much bandwidth it's time for you to move onto better hosting services. Just to let you know that one free host I was on was offering > 200gb bandwidth, >3gb space free, and would shove 11,000 or more accounts onto each server. Their community is nice so I stick around their forums, and ha, they have a server down nearly every day and HDD crashes are commonplace.
    6. Their account system is epic. I mean, really epic. With 1 set of login info, I can manage accounts across different servers with their own unique hosting plans. If I want to say, have a website running on a dedicated server and also have a backup server hosted at RVPS, I can simply login and restart both within a few clicks, or restart 1 and change the login details of the other. It’s super easy, but I have yet to actually purchase two simultaneous packages (Oh, and most options in that control panel are not available to shared hosting; like restarts. That'd be stupid). Their account system also allows for you to seemlessly upgrade and downgrade to nearly any hosting package. You can go from shared hosting to a level 2 VPS without any site downtime. You can also add multiple credit cards through this system, and I'm not sure, but it would make sense if you could pay different invoices with different credit cards (meaning, client management. Use their credit cards (It also blocks out the card number with X's so don't worry).
    7. Physical Access. They own their equipment, they don’t rent it out. They buy datacenter rackspace and have people working physically with the servers. Rick, owner of RVPS, even posts pictures of himself, other staff, and the servers. Rick is proud of what he does and rightly so. I don’t know of any other host (so far) that is willing to post pictures of themselves and their setup. Scroll to the bottom and click the link to visit their homepage; Rick recently posted up pretty much the entire RVPS server setup at a new datacenter. I can tell you, I really think this is part of what makes the support so fast. Basically, they can get your ticket, ssh into the server or just walk over to it and restart it if need be.
    Also, check out this screenshot I managed to capture:
    http://i43.tinypic.com/2j2t75h.png

I don't know a whole lot about the unix/linux load system, and I know it can be affected by the number of processes, but the fact that this server was still up and serving pages (albeit quite slowly ) amazed me. They have some beast servers, and after contacting support the load was immediately down and back down to 3 in an hour. Note: This is the highest the load got. It died after at least 15 minutes of being at 500 load, cause I walked off to eat. The load had been climbing for a good hour or two, serving pages the whole time. I really don't know how it got to 500 and was serving pages until it's crashing breath heh

For those curious; the server I was hosted on for the last 8 months had 2 quad cores in it, and the one I've just recently been moved onto has 1 quad core. There's a lot of hosts I know that don't want exact specifics given out (and they don't seem to list the shared server specs; understandably so because it varied between the two I've been on), so although I know some exact specs I won't share them.

Don't forget, there's a speed test button on their homepage. Here's a link to my speed: http://i41.tinypic.com/14j682a.png
    And yeah, I do have cable internet (**over wireless , but using things like speedtest.net I can get up to 6 over wireless no problem.

Also note: Even RVPS knows their prices can be high, but I have to say, their support is epic. If you're willing to spend some extra coin just to know that you have great support, I'd highly recommend this site.

<snipped>
    Last edited by ldcdc; 06-17-2009 at 11:54 PM. Reason: affiliate link

Nah it's not an ad, I just love the host that much (And I read this was where reviews were to be posted.. there's a place to post advertisements so why would I post an ad here? xD would be silly). I need to go find some more host review places. If you check out RVPS's forums you'll see that I'm just not like any of the staff hah. Don't care much if you do think it's an ad, but I can definitely see why you would think that haha. I posted a mini version of this on my blog a while back too, but I think I'll just post a link to it later in the proper section.

My lack of posts / time a registered user is also kind of weird, eh? Well it's probably because I haven't been looking for a host on these forums for 9 months hehe.

(Anyway, thought I might as well put up my aff. link in the first post while I was there, extra cash isn't bad but it really was a very very modest amount. And now I can't edit my first post anymore (Lol weird), so oh well it'll just stay there with a reference to it . Too lazy to read rules sometimes *Facepalm*)

(Note to mod: Since I for no reason can't edit my first post (or lack the ability to figure out how), will you at least be so kind as to put the link to rapidvps.com back in it? I mean, when I first wrote the post I gave a referral and non referral link, no need to remove both too hastily now)
    Last edited by daz07; 06-17-2009 at 11:04 PM. Reason: I can edit this post! :O

Could you post a domain you have hosted with them, or put it here:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/report.php?p=6243787

Thanks! Just want to make sure this is for real. Sounds like a good review though, glad you are happy!
    FazeWire Web Services.
    || We have provided great prices and better support since 2006. Located in Seattle, WA!
    || -----------------
    || Shared Hosting - VPS - Dedicated Servers - Colocation - Software Licenses

Kinda weird, reporting a post with a link to my domain? Odd. Anyway, my lovely personal site (You know, heavily underdeveloped but has my blog with an old, shorter version of the above review) is http://matt-shaffer.com. It's hosted on RVPS along with 2 other live sites I own. The link posted averages 1.5 seconds to load all images & content for the first time. (Figured out time from some random site I found browsing these forums, webslug.info) Yahoo takes 5 seconds to load the first time. *Also, I'm unsure what kind of connection that site that measures speed has or how many concurrent tests it's running; so it's quite possible it'll load fully for you faster . If you'd like other examples of my sites, PM me. RVPS is too cool for me to own it heh.

This review is definitely for real. (Again). Although, don't know of a way to prove how long I've been hosted with them, so you'll either have to take my word for it or learn to trust my word over time .

(Haha, posting a link to my own site better not be against the rules xD I'll be on my way to reading them now, but you posted fast enough for me to notice and reply before reading them. I blame you if I get in trouble :p trusting a premium member.)

Verified!

Name Server: SUN1.RAPIDVPS.COM
    Name Server: SUN2.RAPIDVPS.COM

Thanks, and glad to see you are happy with them. And no, posting a link to your site is just fine, especially for verifying a domain. Now if you go spamming and posting it everywhere.... I am not responsible for that.
    FazeWire Web Services.
    || We have provided great prices and better support since 2006. Located in Seattle, WA!
    || -----------------
    || Shared Hosting - VPS - Dedicated Servers - Colocation - Software Licenses

Always nice to see excellent reviews. There are so many bad threads about hosts so great job RapidVPS. Their admin center sounds quite intriguing.
    Laurence Flynn @ atOmicVPS LTD
    Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting Solutions Powered by OnApp
    Fully Managed [Shared][Reseller][Cloud VPS] [Dedicated]
    Featuring the atOmicSTACK ● Speed ● Performance ● Reliability

Thanks for sharing your domain and providing such a nicely formatted, well written review.

Quote Originally Posted by NexDog View Post
    Always nice to see excellent reviews. There are so many bad threads about hosts so great job RapidVPS. Their admin center sounds quite intriguing.
    Nah, it's not too intriguing. Simplistic and functional: http://i39.tinypic.com/1zgw36b.png

Some notes on the photo:
    • Under "activate account" it has a listbox of the services (vps/dedi/shared/backup/ETC)
    • Most of the account panel is worthless to shared hosting ; Rebooting, root password, resource usage. Most stuff you need is in CPanel which is free on shared hosting
    I suppose I could post more pics of it if interested, it's nothing super fantastic to look at- but the functionality of it is.

Oh and yeah, I figure I like well written, easy to follow reviews so I made mine nice and smooth, bolding what I that was good to make it stand out

10. hmm, this is the most enthuastic positive review I have read here in WHT. Even for for a negative review a screenshot is a rarity.

Quote Originally Posted by HostingMonitor View Post
    hmm, this is the most enthuastic positive review I have read here in WHT. Even for for a negative review a screenshot is a rarity.
    Happy customers make happy reviews ^^. I'm also surprised I managed to pick such a great host for my first paid host , reading all of those horror stories makes me realize both
    1. How lucky I am ('Cause face it, luck can still play a factor) and
    2. How well researching pays off. While there weren't a whole lot of reviews of this company when I bought my paid hosting I did not find a single negative one, and the info on the site was already enough to impress me. They have support forums (Slow, but hey they have them), their sales support was speedy, knowledgeable, and polite (heck, after hosting there that's how those guys always are), there were already some pics and info about Rick's setup of RVPS, and they had the option to pay monthly.

So yeah even if RVPS isn't for you, do some research. I'm not even kidding, when I was planning on switching to paid hosting, I spent 2 weeks throwing around all of the billions of hosts until I found the perfect one for me.

[random] I encourage you to go check out their website and go to the Services link at the top. Then click "details" on any of 'em and read the sidebars. You might not realize how true some of those are; and on the dedicated page here's the quote I referred to somewhere above about them knowing their higher price: "Our dedicated hosting products are not competiting with price. You can lease the same hardware from many large datacenters for 20-30% less. 90% of our dedicated hosting clients upgrade from a lower priced VPS package as their company grows and technical requirements change. Despite the 30% price difference of our dedicated options vs. massive datacenter offerings, the extra features and competent support our clients receive make our dedicated hosting options an obvious choice over lower priced competitors.
    " (
    That's a snippet of the sidebar)

And seriously, I love their support ^^

Thanks for a nicely written review. I can see the real satisfaction from your words. You are too satisfied as a customer I think . Any way hope your experience will stay the same in future too. Keep us updated again.

24/7 Support as of 05/29/2013

My dedicated server with them is down, and no one is manning their 24/7 support. Cannot get a hold of anyone. Sent emergency support ticket, no response. Tried online chat, nothing. Phone system says to call during business hours. I've been a long time customer and their support appears to be going downhill fast. When I first started with them it was perfect. This is not an opinion, actions speak louder than words. I sure wish I could get my websites back up, as I have websites that get international traffic. Been dealing with hardware crashes, that they have not figured out yet. I'm not a noob and have a lot of experience in the website site hosting arena. I'm very dissatisfied right now with their customer support. Don't advertise 24/7 support if someone isn't actually manning it.