Home directory naming - Hawk Host -

Hi,

As some of you may have noticed I have just signed up with Hawk Host. I had a question about the way the name your home directory. Lets say my full name is Chad Hawk. They have named my home directory /home/chadhaw . Is it normal for them to leave out the last letter of my last name or is that a typo. Or for that matter does it matter at all.

Regards

Chad

Well I'd assume that they take the domain name of the account and cPanel creates a username out of that usually being the min number of characters, hence why a letter may be missing.
    Data Republic - UK Managed Servers - Server Management - Managed Backup/R1Soft
    Follow us on Twitter to get exclusive sales & updates.
    R1Soft Agents Monthly !

Quote Originally Posted by FHH - Tim View Post
    Well I'd assume that they take the domain name of the account and cPanel creates a username out of that usually being the min number of characters, hence why a letter may be missing.
    I actually just got the answer from a tech person there. It happens to be the first 8 letters of the domain name. It just so happens it is my name.

Regards

Chad

Yep that's what I said

Glad you got the answer though.
    Data Republic - UK Managed Servers - Server Management - Managed Backup/R1Soft
    Follow us on Twitter to get exclusive sales & updates.
    R1Soft Agents Monthly !

Yeah, I wish cPanel would allow more than 8 characters for an account home directory. I mean it is 2009!!!
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

Quote Originally Posted by chadsxe View Post
    Hi,

As some of you may have noticed I have just signed up with Hawk Host. I had a question about the way the name your home directory. Lets say my full name is Chad Hawk. They have named my home directory /home/chadhaw . Is it normal for them to leave out the last letter of my last name or is that a typo. Or for that matter does it matter at all.

Regards

Chad
    Is it so important for you chad? No one but only you will see that... I suppose that there is nothing to worry about at all

Have them change the username for you, they can do that with ease.

Joey
    http://www.realwebhost.net
    http://www.realwebhost.net/vps.php
    ICQ 120397604 |MSN : hotmail.com | AIM : rwhsupport | Yahoo: rwhmax

Quote Originally Posted by chadsxe View Post
    Hi,

Regards

Chad
    It's actually automatically generated via the domain used with the account. If needed we can change it quickly, though you will be the only one who see's it .

**EDIT** I somehow missed the fact that someone else already addressed this perfectly. Excuse moi!

One thing to add - the 8 character limit is handy in my opinion. After you reach a certain amount of domains you tend to run into duplicates!
    Cody R.
    Hawk Host Inc. Proudly Serving websites since 2004.
    Official Let's Encrypt Sponsor

I'd prefer myself to be able to have a 12 or 16 character limit
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

I love Plesk and how it names the directory as domain.com. Just....so....logical.
    Laurence Flynn @ HostNEXUS.com
    Managed WordPress Hosting Solutions
    Focused on speed. Obsessed with security.