Reseller Hosting to Managed Dedicated Server - is it time for me?

Hi,

I am a freelance designer and I host about 20 client (few Joomla and osCommerce sites) - but all mainly html brochure type of web sites.

I have been on dotable reseller hosting for now 3 years and its a bit expensive almost $50/month now. I was thinking of getting my own managed dedicated server for only $100-150/month.

I have never owned/used a dedicated server, so I know if I am ready for one and what to expect.

1. Are there any things I should look out for while searching for a server?
    2. What are things to avoid?
    3. Are their main advantages or disadvantages versus VPS (reseller) hosting vs dedicated?

I just do not want to expect issues and constant monitoring since its a dedicated server, I don't want to worry about anything...

I forgot to ask:
    Does it matter what the CPU/memory specs? I see a lot of companies offering servers on AMD Athalon or Intel Celeron or even Pentium 4.
    Will these outdated CPU work just fine and be enough?

First, make sure it is managed and has control panel so you can easily manage your account.

2nd, make sure the network is stable and you are getting a good server. With good server, it means ram at least 2GB, Sata2 Drives, etc...
    Specially 4 You
    JoneSolutions.Com ( Jones.Solutions ) is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions and services since 2001

Quote Originally Posted by patrickarmen View Post
    Hi,

I am a freelance designer and I host about 20 client (few Joomla and osCommerce sites) - but all mainly html brochure type of web sites.

I have been on dotable reseller hosting for now 3 years and its a bit expensive almost $50/month now. I was thinking of getting my own managed dedicated server for only $100-150/month.

I have never owned/used a dedicated server, so I know if I am ready for one and what to expect.

3. Are their main advantages or disadvantages versus VPS (reseller) hosting vs dedicated?

I just do not want to expect issues and constant monitoring since its a dedicated server, I don't want to worry about anything...
    Add $20 or $30 to your budget and you can probably find a solid core2duo with management. I would stay away from the older hardware, there are much better options available.
    In regards to your questions:
    1. When contacting a provider, look for quick customer service, this is often indicative of their support response time. Look at reviews that others have posted.
    2. Since you want a fully managed solution, avoid providers that do not have people with hands on access to the server 24/7.
    3. The main disadvantage will be price, but the advantages even that out, performance and stability are big ones, and you can also use having your own server as a selling point to your clients.
    Chris Larkin
    Senior Hosting Consultant
    SingleHop Managed Dedicated Servers
    http://singlehop.com

Well if you are currently on reseller hosting and everything is working well, it is highly probable that a VPS will suit your needs, I don't think there is an immediate need for a dedicated server!

One of the biggest things when you go from a Reseller account that is backing up your data to a dedicated server is BACKUPS!! Off-server backups, if you get hacked or abused most likely your backups will be compromised, and you don't want that. Make sure you get proper Off server backups.
    Jay

I agree with Frankiee, you probably should be looking at vps providers right now. Just pick one with 512mb ram or more and spend $40 or better. Move only what you need there a little at a time and watch the loads, even if a single vps isnt enough your much better diversifying your client base on a couple vps than one dedicated server. Servers come into play when your volume is enough to need a new one about once a month, ie when a vps just wont keep up anymore.
    Greg Landis | Founder Jaguarpc - Keeping websites happy since 1998
    Managed IT Solutions - Business hosting | Virtual Private Servers | Cloud VPS Hosting | Dedicated servers | Backup service
    Follow us @ Facebook.com/Jaguarpc | Twitter: @JaguarPC | (888)-338-5261 | sales @ jaguarpc.com

Quote Originally Posted by jayglate View Post
    One of the biggest things when you go from a Reseller account that is backing up your data to a dedicated server is BACKUPS!! Off-server backups, if you get hacked or abused most likely your backups will be compromised, and you don't want that. Make sure you get proper Off server backups.
    Awww! Never though of that.

Regarding security- do managed servers cover this? Monitor and secure you servers- so I do not have to worry about getting hacked?

A fully managed VPS/server means you just focus on your websites/business. The vendor will need to take care all tasks on server side. They will need to know any trouble first, not waiting for your request for fixing.

Awww! Never though of that.

Regarding security- do managed servers cover this? Monitor and secure you servers- so I do not have to worry about getting hacked?
    There are many definitions "managed" in this industry, they may or may not include security features, so that is definitely something you should inquire about when talking to providers.
    Chris Larkin

Quote Originally Posted by jayglate View Post
    Most managed solutions will include a back-up option, and I think EVERYONE should have their own back-ups - one on a system and one on disk. It only makes sense!
    Last edited by superb-jay; 06-18-2009 at 04:28 PM. Reason: forgot to click 'quote msq'

I think you could do a dualcore processor 2GB of RAM 2x160GB SATA RAID 1 harddrives 5mbps bandwidth fully managed for around $200 per month. Be careful on the fully managed claim, some host say fully managed and give you a control panel and say good luck. Talk to the host on how they define fully managed.

Hi,

Since you're currently using a reseller account, have you thought about the possibility of taking a smaller step to a VPS? It could be more affordable for you to purchase a managed VPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Hesser View Post
    I think you could do a dualcore processor 2GB of RAM 2x160GB SATA RAID 1 harddrives 5mbps bandwidth fully managed for around $200 per month. Be careful on the fully managed claim, some host say fully managed and give you a control panel and say good luck. Talk to the host on how they define fully managed.
    I would say that is a little extreme, managed hosts will provide some type of support. Do you have any specific examples?
    Chris Larkin