hosted by liquidweb


Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Domain Names : NetSol: Private Regristration - not so private
Reply

Forum Jump

NetSol: Private Regristration - not so private

Reply Post New Thread In Domain Names Subscription
 
Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-17-2009, 08:39 PM
Daniel257 Daniel257 is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 5
Angry

NetSol: Private Regristration - not so private


Hi everybody,


this is the first time I have bought a domain and web hosting package and I am already slightly frustrated.
I paid the 9 bucks for "Private Registration" but if I run a whois on my domain, it shows my name nonetheless.
Not my address or phone number but my name... why is this? And how do I change it?

I actually can't believe that I would have to do anything more than click the box and pay for the service.
I'm not allowed to simply change my name to Admin or something like that, so what do I do here?
I already checked my account manager, the privacy setting is switched on.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.



Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 06-17-2009, 09:21 PM
MikeDVB MikeDVB is offline
Web Host Extraordinaire!!!
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana USA
Posts: 15,033
My advice would be to not register domains through Network Solutions - Go with GoDaddy or NameCheap next time. NetSol is overpriced anyways.

  #3  
Old 06-17-2009, 09:22 PM
redmeds redmeds is offline
Web Hosting Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 517
I just briefly read over the privacy registration there. In a way, it seems like you did not read correctly, and on the end it is kind of slight of hand because most people assume "privacy" means all information.

This is in their privacy registration agreement:

Network Solutions' Private Registration provides customers with alternate contact information displayed in the public WHOIS database. A newly created e-mail address, postal address and phone number assigned to customers appear as the publicly-available contact information. This minimizes the amount of spam, junk mail, and telemarketing calls customers receive and protects against identity thieves and unauthorized attempts to transfer the domain name registration.

The other catch that you are in. Is that if you do ask for a refund, you are still stuck with your domain being there for x amount of days, so then all of your information would be displayed.

My advice, and if anyone else wishes to, please chime in:

Eat the $9.00.... wait out the time restriction that your domain can be transerred, transfer the domain to a registrar that give complete whois privacy and you gain the rest of your registration, plus 1 year to the gaining registrar that offers complete whois privacy, which should include your name as well.

I know it sucks for you, but your post is very important as far as other members gaining knowledge about who to avoid, especially if assumptions are made.

Again, not a criticism whatsoever on your part. You just made an assumption and hit the button without completely reading what it meant.

__________________
Mike

Sponsored Links
  #4  
Old 06-17-2009, 09:30 PM
stub stub is offline
Web Hosting Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 5,866
Transfer the domain to Name.com after 60 days. Privacy is free. Check out for a coupon code to reduce the price slightly.

__________________
Signature Under Construction.

  #5  
Old 06-17-2009, 09:40 PM
astutiumRob astutiumRob is offline
Will Host for Food
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 3,999
some "privacy" services only "hide" your postal and email addresses.

what is your issue about being shown as the owner of the the domain ?

__________________
Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
Buying Web Hosts and Domain Registrars Today @ hostacquisitions.co.uk
UK Web Hosting | UK VPS | UK Dedicated Servers | ADSL/FTTC | Backup/DR | Cloud
UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

  #6  
Old 06-17-2009, 09:42 PM
GCM GCM is offline
Cultivated in California
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 2,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
My advice would be to not register domains through Network Solutions - Go with GoDaddy or NameCheap next time. NetSol is overpriced anyways.
Fully agreed. Just move your domain after the 60 grace period. Also, GoDaddy and Name.com's Whois Privacy hides your name and all your other details.

  #7  
Old 06-17-2009, 09:46 PM
snicksnack snicksnack is offline
Temporarily Suspended
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 36
I would not recommend GoDaddy.com their service is lousy and once they get a complaint from the US about your domain, they will drop the whois protection in a second.

Also there are plenty for free whois protection services out there, which do not belong to a specific registrar.

  #8  
Old 06-17-2009, 09:48 PM
redmeds redmeds is offline
Web Hosting Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCM View Post
Fully agreed. Just move your domain after the 60 grace period. Also, GoDaddy and Name.com's Whois Privacy hides your name and all your other details.
name is free - great for single and multiple domains
godaddy is an extra fee - not great if you have a lot of domains
namecheap currently is free, but after a year is fee based - with multiple domains at a low price.

__________________
Mike

  #9  
Old 06-17-2009, 09:59 PM
Daniel257 Daniel257 is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
My advice would be to not register domains through Network Solutions - Go with GoDaddy or NameCheap next time. NetSol is overpriced anyways.
Yes, I probably should've done that. I don't want to go into the reasons why I chose NetSol, but I've heard a lot of bad stuff about Godaddy and NetSol both and I thought I had chosen the lesser evil. What I do need to know is how to get my name out of the whois. I know it's possible, I've seen the registrant just being credited as Administrator. And it's not like I didn't do any research at all. I just never read anything about NetSol's "Private Registration" not being private. So there must be a way for me the get my name out of there without getting in trouble.

I'm currently trying to change my administrative contact and technical contact in the whois. But that still leaves me as the registrant and therefore seems like an exercise in futility.

If anybody knows how to successfully do this, please help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmeds View Post
I just briefly read over the privacy registration there. In a way, it seems like you did not read correctly, and on the end it is kind of slight of hand because most people assume "privacy" means all information.


This is in their privacy registration agreement:

Network Solutions' Private Registration provides customers with alternate contact information displayed in the public WHOIS database. A newly created e-mail address, postal address and phone number assigned to customers appear as the publicly-available contact information. This minimizes the amount of spam, junk mail, and telemarketing calls customers receive and protects against identity thieves and unauthorized attempts to transfer the domain name registration.
I only read their sales pitch:

"Privacy - Alternate contact information will be used to keep your personal information private"

and not the exact description of their service, that is hidden three clicks into seemingly irrelevant information about why privacy is important. Kinda ironic.



Quote:
Originally Posted by redmeds View Post
The other catch that you are in. Is that if you do ask for a refund, you are still stuck with your domain being there for x amount of days, so then all of your information would be displayed.

My advice, and if anyone else wishes to, please chime in:

Eat the $9.00.... wait out the time restriction that your domain can be transerred, transfer the domain to a registrar that give complete whois privacy and you gain the rest of your registration, plus 1 year to the gaining registrar that offers complete whois privacy, which should include your name as well.
I'll do that if I don't manage get my name out of there by changing the contacts.



Quote:
Originally Posted by redmeds View Post
I know it sucks for you, but your post is very important as far as other members gaining knowledge about who to avoid, especially if assumptions are made.

Again, not a criticism whatsoever on your part. You just made an assumption and hit the button without completely reading what it meant.
That's perfectly fine, a bruised ego is the least of my concerns at the moment. I just wish there was a more immediate solution for this problem.

  #10  
Old 06-17-2009, 10:24 PM
Daniel257 Daniel257 is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by othellotech View Post
some "privacy" services only "hide" your postal and email addresses.

what is your issue about being shown as the owner of the the domain ?
I just don't want my real name on the internet, that's why I paid for privacy.


Quote:
Originally Posted by GCM View Post
Fully agreed. Just move your domain after the 60 grace period. Also, GoDaddy and Name.com's Whois Privacy hides your name and all your other details.
I won't register with Godaddy. I've heard too many horror stories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snicksnack View Post
I would not recommend GoDaddy.com their service is lousy and once they get a complaint from the US about your domain, they will drop the whois protection in a second.
...

Quote:
Originally Posted by snicksnack View Post
Also there are plenty for free whois protection services out there, which do not belong to a specific registrar.
Free whois protection? I've googled for something like that but didn't find anything. Are there offers for third party whois protection that don't require me to move my domain? Doesn't have to be free either, I wouldn't mind having to pay extra for two months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmeds View Post
name is free - great for single and multiple domains
godaddy is an extra fee - not great if you have a lot of domains
namecheap currently is free, but after a year is fee based - with multiple domains at a low price.
The thing is that I did compare hosts and NetSol's medium hosting package was pretty sweet since they've upgraded it. I'd actually prefer fixing the problem, if possible, over changing the host.

  #11  
Old 06-17-2009, 10:31 PM
GCM GCM is offline
Cultivated in California
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 2,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by redmeds View Post
name is free - great for single and multiple domains
godaddy is an extra fee - not great if you have a lot of domains
namecheap currently is free, but after a year is fee based - with multiple domains at a low price.
Yes. GoDaddy actually gives you Whois Privacy included with 5 domains. But, it looks like the OP will not be going with them.

  #12  
Old 06-17-2009, 10:55 PM
Daniel257 Daniel257 is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 5
I tried changing the admin contact but that didn't work because they just wanted another name. When I was looking for a suitable host I did a whois is lookup on a few message boards to see which host they used and one of them used NetSol and the name IS hidden. I just looked again, the only thing I can think of is that it's because it's registered as a company... should've looked better. Oh well, now it's too late.

One last question, if I do the money back thing within in the first 30 days... are they going to somehow keep my domain? They are going to keep my domain,... aren't they?

And someone said I should only change the registrar but not the host? Is that even possible with NetSol? And how much is that going to cost me, and how do I initiate that? Also, which registrar is the most trustworthy in terms of privacy and general reliability? I'm not asking for the cheapest here, I'm asking for the best. Although it almost seems like I should be asking for the cheapest one since they are most likely to provide the best service. Joking aside, the relatively steep price from NetSol was actually one reason why I didn't hesitate much and only skimmed over the faq... I thought I was buying quality service.

Help please.


Last edited by Daniel257; 06-17-2009 at 10:59 PM.
  #13  
Old 06-17-2009, 11:30 PM
redmeds redmeds is offline
Web Hosting Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel257 View Post

One last question, if I do the money back thing within in the first 30 days... are they going to somehow keep my domain? They are going to keep my domain,... aren't they?



Help please.
I would advise again. If you would like your information to be hidden, eat the $9.00 for privacy. Sure it may have your name, but unless your name is so unique at the moment, it is not that big of a deal for a 60 day wait.

You should be able to cancel privacy at anytime, but keep in mind you will not get that money back, as you agreed to their terms in the first place (I say that loosely as every company has it's own way of dealing with clients, so I could be very wrong).... and all of your information will be available from the time you registered, +60 days, + the time it takes to transfer.

One other thing, speak with someone at NetSol before cancelling anything, so that you fully understand what you are cancelling. There is a difference between cancelling services versus accounts, and since their wording already seems a little tricky, I would speak with someone and very clearly ask them questions so they understand your intentions.

The very best thing you can do is contact a person at NetSol and discuss your options.

Don't take our word in the forum for absolute truth, take it with knowledge and understanding when you are speaking with NetSol.

Speaking with them is the very best solution, and will answer more questions than we possibly can.

Hope this helps you!

__________________
Mike

  #14  
Old 06-18-2009, 12:29 AM
Dave_Z Dave_Z is offline
Web Hosting Master
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 4,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by redmeds View Post
The very best thing you can do is contact a person at NetSol and discuss your options.

Speaking with them is the very best solution, and will answer more questions than we possibly can.
Indeed the best solution around here.

  #15  
Old 06-18-2009, 01:15 AM
Jedito Jedito is offline
Web Hosting Master
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Paradise
Posts: 11,581
Search for a US2 (stargate) reseller, whois privacy is free there too.

__________________
Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Reply

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Cirrus Hosting Lets Users Create Virtual Private Networks within Public Cloud Web Hosting News 2014-05-02 12:40:36
iWeb Launches Microsoft-Based Private Cloud Service Web Hosting News 2014-01-30 12:00:10
EarthLink Launches Private Cloud Hosting Web Hosting News 2013-10-21 13:35:52
Hosted Private Cloud Spending to Reach $24B in 2016: IDC Report Web Hosting News 2013-02-28 11:54:51
New Certification Toolkit Validates Infrastructure for Rackspace Private Cloud Web Hosting News 2013-01-31 14:43:57


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Postbit Selector

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump
Login:
Log in with your username and password
Username:
Password:



Forgot Password?
Advertisement:
Web Hosting News:



 

X

Welcome to WebHostingTalk.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

WebHostingTalk.com is the largest, most influentual web hosting community on the Internet. Join us by filling in the form below.


(4 digit year)

Already a member?