Question Continue With Streamline.net Or Use Different Host?

Hi I have an account with streamline.net, I am about to upload my site to it but am wondering if i should choose a different host before getting all set up as streamline.net has had a few complaints on this forum. I will be running an e-commerce and resource website that will include a phpbb forum so an alternative host would have to be capable of running this, however i dont really want to pay much more than streamline around 4.99 a month.

I also believe streamline can conflict with some php database scripts etc. What are your opinions on this, can you recommend any alternative hosts for same price range?

thanks

p.s. will need to be windows based

Please try enom.com or namecheap.com (they are resselers of Enom). I used them for domains and they were good. Hope, that web-hosting will be good too.

Quote Originally Posted by globad View Post
    Please try enom.com or namecheap.com (they are resselers of Enom). I used them for domains and they were good. Hope, that web-hosting will be good too.
    Your posts are very odd today, what's up?

Don't recommend hosts that you haven't used before.
    StableHost .:. Unlimited web hosting done right. Experience the unlimited difference.
    PingThat .:. Is your website down? Find out now with our QuickChecker technology.

I would recommend you not to pay attention to complaints and simply continue with Streamline. It should be noted that almost all hosts have ever had complaints at this forum. It is almost impossible to avoid complaints and problems in web hosting business. Do they provide trial period? If yes, just test their services during this period of time and if you are not satisfied with service simply switch to another host. It is solely my opinion.

I used CrystalTech.com in the past for Windows hosting and *loved* the service and support. You may want to give them a look if you do decide to change hosts.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

I recommend you do analyze and research complaints on this board to include if/when the complaint was resolved, how professional the host was when dealing with a complaint, and if complaints are an ongoing issue with a particular host. We all realize problems do occur. How the host handles problems/issues with customers often speaks volumes. WHT is a great resource for social proof in hosting. Use it.

Is there a reason you specially need windows web hosting? From your request, it sounds like linux web hosting will work fine. Remember, the operating system you run on your computer has NO IMPACT on the type of operating system you can host your site on. It's dependent in the scripting languages used, and if it is PHP, then it will work fine in linux, which is usually cheaper.

cant find prices on crystal tech, dont like websites when you cant see the prices straight away, i might of just missed it though. Not sure why windows over linux, its just have never used linux before i guess, does everything just work the same if i used a linux based host?

As long as you don't need ASP support Linux hosting would be just as easy to use as windows hosting.

Quote Originally Posted by agentscarn View Post
    I recommend you do analyze and research complaints on this board to include if/when the complaint was resolved, how professional the host was when dealing with a complaint, and if complaints are an ongoing issue with a particular host.
    You see, agentscarn, almost all hosting providers have compliants at this forum periodically. Yes, you are right it is better to analyze all reviews and the way the company solves the problems of their customers.

thanks guys, and thanks for the prices link. Sorry to be a noob but what actually is ASP? Also is it best to get a UK host as the site/users will be mainly from UK or does it not make much difference?

I have my eye on hawkhost, crystaltech, hostgator and streamline who i already have an account with.

Does anyone here run/have runned a phpBB forum on streamline? this is my main concern as i have heard people have had problems installing the forum, just wondering if anyone has actually managed to install a forum with them ok?

cheers

Sorry to be a noob but what actually is ASP?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASP.NET

If you're running a phpbb forum, you don't need it. I thought you were after windows hosting, as crystaltech has a bit of a reputation for that.

I see that streamline offers both Linux and Windows based hosting. I really can't imagine phpbb not working in their Linux environment. It's a pretty basic requirement, even under Windows.

as i have heard people have had problems installing the forum
    It's not always the host's fault. "People" are not perfect either.

Quote Originally Posted by budo View Post
    I will be running an e-commerce and resource website
    4.99 a month.
    You'll want to re-evaluate either your budget or your intended use
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    Buying Web Hosts and Domain Registrars Today @ hostacquisitions.co.uk
    UK Web Hosting | UK VPS | UK Dedicated Servers | ADSL/FTTC | Backup/DR | Cloud
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

Come now, Dan, ASP and .NET are not teh same animal but I won't press it.

@budo, did you make your site or buy it? Maybe you're using Windows technologies without knowing it. Windows tech also includes databases such as SQL Server and Access.
    Laurence Flynn @ atOmicVPS LTD
    Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting Solutions Powered by OnApp
    Fully Managed [Shared][Reseller][Cloud VPS] [Dedicated]
    Featuring the atOmicSTACK ● Speed ● Performance ● Reliability

Come now, Dan, ASP and .NET are not teh same animal but I won't press it.
    The packages I linked to earlier were .NET. I thought that would be the actual intent of his question. Not that I have much of a grasp of either, but I know they're not the same thing.

18. I would avoid streamline like the plague, I have had terrible experience with them (one or other of my website, SQL or email is pretty much down all the time) and am locked into 2 yr contract. I use Linex server.

Quote Originally Posted by DeepUnderground View Post
    I would avoid streamline like the plague, I have had terrible experience with them (one or other of my website, SQL or email is pretty much down all the time) and am locked into 2 yr contract. I use Linex server.
    Just because your in a contract, doesn't mean you can't actually move

You may just have to take a small hit financially, but if your website is important to you - the hit won't be as bad

20. that's true but its a non profit website (well it's new but hopefully one day I might be able to at least pay for hosting costs). I'm working very hard to drive traffic to the website (with very good success considering I'm sandboxed).

Shouldn't really be forced to take a financial hit when your paying for a service that your not receiving. Consumer rights and such like

How long ago did you signup?

22. signed up 2 months ago :/

Not sure of your payment method, but could you not contact your card vendor and ask if you are covered for a chargeback as you aren't getting what you paid for?