Thread: Custom Fonts

Custom Fonts

Hey,

I am designing a website for someone and they have a specific font they want to use, the font is a .otf

Can I add this font to the website?

Dan
    Streama - Your WordPress Friend
    http://www.streama.co.uk

Any font you use on a website needs to be on the visitor's computer for it to be viewable, either by it already being installed or embedded (which downloads it). When we're asked to include a special font for headings, we typically explain that, and if they insist we make them images.

..moved from programming, as it isn't...
    Having problems, or maybe questions about WHT? Head over to the help desk!

Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    Any font you use on a website needs to be on the visitor's computer for it to be viewable, either by it already being installed or embedded (which downloads it). When we're asked to include a special font for headings, we typically explain that, and if they insist we make them images.

..moved from programming, as it isn't...
    Yep-I found this problem too, but solved it using your same technique-Images are so convenient nowadays, ... Well, maybe 'cept DOS or when you're infected with Conficker. Lol.

Images on their own aren't a good idea for creating semantic markup, or I'd imagine SEO purposes (e.g. using an image for a H1 tag).

You can get around this by using CSS to set the background image of a H1 tag to an image of the font and not displaying the text itself - though I don't know if this would be considered some sort of SEO black hat technique.

You can try sIFR.

Its a javascript/css thingie that replaces text with flash movie with your text. If visitor doesn't have flash, he'll see a default font.