Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

12k Website On Celeron?

We plan on sponsoring a clients website that gets 10k unique visitors a day. Around 100-200 people are on the site during their busiest time.

Celeron-L Conroe 1.6 Ghz 800mhz FSB
    OR AMD Athlon X2 4200+ (If celeron is too small)
    2GB ram
    250gb raid hard drives

I do understand these are optimally not large enough servers for a site this large however we do plan to get the most out of the server.

We have never hosted a user with such traffic to their site before with an alexa ranking of under 20,000 which is why we are turning to the community for opinions.

You must be joking if you plan to go with Celeron cpu. I should recommend you on Xeon cpu with 2Gb minimum ram.

Yea I figured I would get a response like that

Reason I put a celeron as one of the choices is because I ran a website once with 3000 uniques a day on a celeron just fine.

anything is possible... depends on what type of website (application type).

The Athlon X2 should work fine.
    478east
    High Bandwidth Servers
    Custom Hosting Solutions

Well the thing is Celeron can take up to 15,000 users per day and crash in 4 days. And Reboot will be required. If you want crash free server Xeon will be exceptional choice and stay clear from AMD too.

I suppose that people with such ammount of traffic do chose the sponsors at their own. So make sure the will agree on your proposition. Maybe that worth to offer something more solid to them?

Not a good thinking.

If the website is dataase driven than it is useless to use celeron server.

But in case the site is simple html/css i.e no login system etc then may be it is possible to use celeron.

Xeon would be your right choise. Maybe you can try with a core2quad.

What is your budget for this project?

We would like to not go over $100 a month for sponsoring them.

Get a minimum Core2Duo with at least 4 gigs ram. You're gonna be experiencing daily crashes and slowdowns on a celeron and the kind of traffic you get on your page.

It depenjds on site-type.. static pages can be served in the billions by an atom or celeron running nginx, whereas it'd crap its pants doing Wordpress..

What type of site is it? I've run a php (no sql) site getting 50k+ uniques on a $10 vps without a problem.

Celeron would be ok if you dont mind restarting it after 2 or 4 days. It can also take 15,000 users daily.

It's actually word press. What about the amd?

In the past AMD didnt do good of course it was also a 1.0ghz amd duron. If you do want amd then get amd Opteron.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan - HostATree View Post
    AMD's are great and are usually cheaper then Intel's getting the same preformance. The Athlon should be fine.

hardly possible on celeron (maybe with a LOT of tweaking), but above mentioned alternative AMD Athlon X2 4200+ should be fine for this.

Wow that's a popular word press site! I was expecting to hear "vBulletin" or "IPB".
    USNYR Hosting

I handled 250-333 thousand non-unique pageviews (not including images/js/css/etc) of dynamic MySQL-driven PHP per day on a Celeron 2.4GHz with 512MB RAM and an 80GB HDD.

It all depends on a variety of factors. How demanding the site itself is, what software you're using (Apache/Lighttpd/nginx/lightspeed/etc), how much they're willing to optimize, etc.

I spent a lot of time optimizing both the PHP and MySQL side of things. PHP accelerators help a lot, and I ended up doing all queries against a HEAP table that was periodically recreated when data was updated (which was rare). I could have also gone a lot further by doing more caching and not using Apache.

So, is it possible? Yes. Without careful attention and tweaking? Depends on the site. If it's static content, then you can do it without tweaking because static content is very easy.

EDIT: Wups, WordPress. I've never handled optimizing something like that (my case was my own code). I know there are various caching solutions for WordPress that turn it into something much more like static content...

I've hosted vBulletin or SMF forums, as well as wordpress blogs.

I must say that wordpress uses FAR MORE cpu than any forum software, and on that machine you will have quite many problems.

Wordpress is not worth being a sponsor of, really. Too much resources for too few pageviews.
    Fraud Record - Stop Fraud Clients, Report Abusive Customers.
    █ Combine your efforts to fight misbehaving clients.

HarzemDesign - Highest quality, well designed and carefully coded hosting designs. Not cheap though.
    █ Large and awesome portfolio, just visit and see!

We would like to not go over $100 a month for sponsoring them.
    Believe it or not you can get a core2quad or xeon for $99 a month if you are in the normal to lower bandwidth range per month (2000GB or so).

There's no point in buying older obsolete systems such as celerons anymore.
    GorillaServers Inc | Direct Unmetered Dedicated Servers

you can get a quad core cpu 2 the egg for 75 dollars.. or you can have rent a c2Q with 2gigs of ram with a 5Mbps pipe for about 100 dollars

Quote Originally Posted by elvis1 View Post
    you can get a quad core cpu 2 the egg for 75 dollars.. or you can have rent a c2Q with 2gigs of ram with a 5Mbps pipe for about 100 dollars
    i dont think a 5mbps pipe would be big enough for the amount if visitors daily
    Leader of the new anti sig spamming club.

WP-SuperCache would take a lot of the load off that server I'd imagine, and possibly even bring it into the range of being able to put it on a Celeron, depending on what kind of Celeron we're talking about.

Load it up with RAM and you might be able to swing it.
    I used to run the oldest commercial Mumble host.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast