* should a dedicated host accept mass email clients

I have Dedicated hosting customer looking for 256 ip addresses for a Double Opt in Mass Email business. He claims the business is legit however I have concerns regarding the need for so many Ip's. Is it normal for a legit Mass Email marketer to use 256 IPs on one server? What are the issues for the Dedicated Hosting Provider(blacklist, etc)?

Quote Originally Posted by AlternativeHost View Post
    I have Dedicated hosting customer looking for 256 ip addresses for a Double Opt in Mass Email business. He claims the business is legit however I have concerns regarding the need for so many Ip's. Is it normal for a legit Mass Email marketer to use 256 IPs on one server? What are the issues for the Dedicated Hosting Provider(blacklist, etc)?
    Highly doubt it is a legit list. The customer is probably also trying to trick you with the "double opt-in" which needs to be clearly defined. Any method of collecting addresses which does not validate the actual ownership of the email address should not be considered legitimate in my opinion.

If the list is legit, there is no need that I know of for a full /24 other than to attempt to avoid blacklists.

Have the customer provide example records, and validate that they keep records that you are comfortable with for list verification. If you're not, don't allow it.

Hope this helps.

There's no way a legit mailer would need 256 IP's.

Since it's probably a spammer and I'm guessing he's new at it, you should inform him that you don't want his business, and netblocks get blacklisted, not just IP's.

Of course, I'd do the interesting thing and charge the straight fee for the box, and $10 per month for each IP and see if he bites. My guess would be that he'd walk away. If you're feeling generous you could charge $5 per IP and he still wouldn't pay.

Issues for the host? being added to the RBL, having your services TOS'd for hosting spammers and the possibility of hundreds or even thousands of spam complaints to handle and respond to.
    http://www.wpdirectorypro.com is a premium plugin to make a directory using WordPress
    http://www.pocketbikeforum.com racing, mods, sales, and general discussion of pocket bikes

be straight forward and ask him why he needs so many IPs?

10$ ip

10$ an ip sounds fair for the amount of complaints my abuse department would be getting. Thanks for the insight.