So we agree that "get a niche" is...

not a proper response to, "How do I succeed at Hosting?", but what I would like to know is what are some actual niches people have found/created. BLOGS only? Real Estate sites only?

Curious and looking for possibilities, Dave

Hosting Niche's....
    - Musicians
    - Real Estate Agents
    - Non Profit organizations
    - Schools
    - Medical Institutions
    - Students
    - Lawyers
    - Small Businesses

List goes on and on...

clan gaming websites
    local area

There are plenty for clan gaming websites, a lot are hosts run by teenagers.

I cater to the motorcycle community. Picked up some shops and other riders personal businesses. I'm a rider myself and have ran a forum since 03 for riders in NY.
    USNYR Hosting

No one's going to tell you their specific niche as that would be self-defeating.

Basically find an area outside of webhosting that you know a lot about or have a good network with and market to that area.

Or look at your competitors and offer something different than they do or something better.

Nowadays, with so many hosts, it's very hard to differentiate.
    hostingDifferent---We're hostingDifferent.
    Premium, Managed and DIY WordPress hosting DONE RIGHT.
    Find out what SERVICE really means!--We're hostingDifferent.

Quote Originally Posted by powerMonster-Scott View Post
    No one's going to tell you their specific niche as that would be self-defeating.
    I second that.

But you can target a niche many ways:
    - geographical (NY, USA, hometown)
    - interest (music, hobby)
    - technology (reseller, VPS, colo)
    - business (corporate, self-serve, managed)
    - political (adult, gender, illegal)

It's not just about an industry..

and the list just goes on and on..

I believe our advice can be summed up as "don't make your niche oversold, cheap" because that's not a niche... that's just brain-dead..

So you become THE AUTHORITY in female, managed, reseller webhosting in Springfield, IL for motor-bike racing.. i bet you every one of that demographic would be your customer! Wow!

Lawrence
    Tired of Hosting? Let Us Buy You Out!

BUYOUT HOSTING - Where Buyers and Sellers meet!

Quote Originally Posted by maknet View Post
    So you become THE AUTHORITY in female, managed, reseller webhosting in Springfield, IL for motor-bike racing.. i bet you every one of that demographic would be your customer! Wow!

Lawrence
    Love it! He has an amazing point though. The more you narrow it down, the higher a % of that niche you'll be able to grab. If your niche is "webhosting", you'll prob grab 0.000001% of that niche. If your niche is what Lawrence mentioned, you're probably looking at an insanely higher percent.
    Imeanwebhosting.com - Shared cpanel hosting, 99.9% uptime.
    10 min average ticket responses, softaculous, rvsitebuilder, and more!
    Reliable, affordable shared hosting. I Mean Web Hosting!

Thanks. I have learned something, and that is always fun. I fail to see how mentioning a niche, as on motorcycle rider kindly did, would be self defeating.

Right now, my niche seems to be, "Any client I can get who's hosting needs I can meet"

Or since I have 2 each of massage therapists and Real Estate brokers, maybe my niche is masseuses and brokers

Dave

Because many have researched their niche to the point where they have been quite successful and to give that away would allow someone else to encroach upon their niche.
    hostingDifferent---We're hostingDifferent.
    Premium, Managed and DIY WordPress hosting DONE RIGHT.
    Find out what SERVICE really means!--We're hostingDifferent.

Quote Originally Posted by IMeanWebHosting View Post
    Love it! He has an amazing point though. The more you narrow it down, the higher a % of that niche you'll be able to grab. If your niche is "webhosting", you'll prob grab 0.000001% of that niche. If your niche is what Lawrence mentioned, you're probably looking at an insanely higher percent.
    It is a trade-off. The reason why you get a high % in one niche, is so that word-of-mouth from all the people in the niche will help you to sell.

Lawrence

Quote Originally Posted by Cape Dave View Post
    Or since I have 2 each of massage therapists and Real Estate brokers, maybe my niche is masseuses and brokers
    Well, it's less about "what you have now", although that is part of it. Maybe you had 2 relatives who were into real estate, so you have an inside-edge in the industry.

It is more about "what am i going to target now given what i have or what i know or who i know." That is the main point.

Lawrence

Quote Originally Posted by Cape Dave View Post
    I want to meet someone that is both combined. Pay a visit to your real estate broker, and get a free massage after.
    Imeanwebhosting.com - Shared cpanel hosting, 99.9% uptime.
    10 min average ticket responses, softaculous, rvsitebuilder, and more!
    Reliable, affordable shared hosting. I Mean Web Hosting!

niche is not all marketing (although that's an important part). some of it's about who can you best serve. if you have knowledge of a particular industry or client type, you can offer services tailored to their needs. they will choose you over someone who does not understand them as well.

gotta be win-win.