Hosts using vmware and licensing?

I've noticed a number of smaller vps hosts state that they use VMware for their virtualization, but wondering about how their handling licensing.

The VMware EULA for both VMware Server and ESX/ESXI don't allow trading/renting/leasing/selling on a per VM basis.

As far as I'm aware, I've only heard of two methods for legally using VMware in a hosting environment... when you buy a license, you work with VMware for a custom license agreement, or you sign up for the VSPP program and either hire a VCP or you/your staff get certified ($3k+passing the test).

There some other route I haven't heard of? I'd often considered the VCP requirement difficult for most hosts to meet, though a still see a number of smaller hosts stating they're using VMware. So I figure either there is some other licensing route I hadn't heard of, or they're using it illegally.
    Ken Robertson | Linked Labs | linkedlabs.com

VSPP is the way to go, we've gone through it and it's the best route.

If small hosts are using vmware, it's 'illegal' and they should be reported. That is unfair competition to the rest of us that have invested in the vmware platform and provide quality service, not just throwing something out there that is unsupported on the 'free' vmware platforms.

You're correct about the standard EULA.

VMware have just released a new hosting license program with a much lower entry commitment level (approx US$400pm). Here in the UK it's available from Insight.com (they act as distributor for the program, similar to Microsoft SPLA).
    Andrew Ogilvie | Xtraordinary Hosting | AS30827 | Member of LINX
    Dedicated Servers in Central London | Xen VPS Linux & Windows | Complex Hosting | London BGP4 Bandwidth

I just pinged an account rep at VMware earlier today about some of their current licensing programs. Mainly curious since I have been talking to Ingram Micro about the new Citrix SPLA and want to compare its requirements to VSPP.
    Ken Robertson | Linked Labs | linkedlabs.com

Citrix SPLA (CSP) is now available in the US and UK, this is basically the same as MS SPLA, licensed on a per subscriber per month basis. MS licensing is per authorised user for TS where as Citrix SPLA is licensed per peak number of users, this can be monitored using Edgesight which is included in the Platinum edition (which includes the CAG license too).

VMWare VSPP is also now widely available, the usage rights for traditional VMWare does not allow for 3rd party hosting so this is the only way to go in a shared environment. Once you are on the program the licensing is actually quite simple only requiring 2 line items per month...

You only need SPLA if you resell isolated VM's (VPS) if you install CENTOS and cPanel on virtual instances you qualify for the free editions.

Quote Originally Posted by Nazli Ozgur View Post
    You only need SPLA if you resell isolated VM's (VPS) if you install CENTOS and cPanel on virtual instances you qualify for the free editions.
    Where do you see this?
    South African Web Hosting - http://www.SoftDux.co.za || SA WebHostingTalk - http://www.webhostingtalk.co.za