unix hosting in Europe, not UK

Hi!

I find an web hosting which servers are placed in Europe. The desirable country is Netherland or Belgium, but not the United Kingdom. Some ploblems with law may occur in UK, but no adult content need to be hosted. It can be the combined business such as LeaseWeb (NL and UK, but base and servers are in NL).

There are some mandatory requirements:
    1. Pay with VISA card. The opportunity to pay only for 1-3 months, not a whole yeah.
    2. The cost less than 10 euro.
    3. I need minimum 500 Mb on disk, and 10 Gb bandwith, and 5 domains, 5 MySQL databases. The managenent panel such a Plesk are wish.
    4. The oportunity to host the sites of any domain zone (not only .com, .biz or .nl)
    5. The english version of site, and english support.
    5. It would better that hosting company exist in market for a long time.

Thanks for you advices.
    May be you will recommend me a good catalog, i get tired with googling.

You should check the find a host section of this board.
    ~ Webair Managed Cloud Servers ~ Dedicated Servers ~ Advanced CDN Network ~ Enterprise / Managed Hosting ~ ICANN Accredited Registrar ~ Multiple Data Center Locations - New York, Amsterdam, LA, & Montreal ~
    ~ SKYPE/AIM: WebairGH - TWITTER - @WEBAIRINC - EMAIL: sales@webair.com

If Germany would suit you I know that 040Hosting has some servers in Germany.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

Find a host section contains very few hosting companies. Plus I can't query only the europe hosters.
    I Request a Web Hosting Quote but afraid I should get the new source of spam.

MikeDVB, 040Hosting looks good.

Any more advices?

Just for your information: some of the web hosting companies might have servers in the US but office and prices in the Europe and in euros

Thanks for the caution, SiberForum. I check the hosting companies and their servers with WhoIs service.

And I still look for the europe hosting.

Quote Originally Posted by SWin View Post
    I find an web hosting which servers are placed in Europe.
    I live in Belgium and years of hosting experience in Europe (BE en NL) I could describe as simply bad of plainly disastrous. I presume things have changed in the past years since I've moved with all my sites to the US, but I'm afraid not that dramatically.

Do you have any really compelling reason to host your site in Europe (and not in the US)?

sash
    kept alive by vertaalbureau

I would suggest you to search for German or Dutch web hosts. You can find a lot of them around and to try to find what site owners say about their services. Web Hosts section is not that big, there are plenty of offerings in Advertising forums.
    HostColor.com Edge Infrastructure - US Dedicated Servers & Europe Dedicated Hostingsince 2000
    In 50 U.S. Edge Data Centers & 80 POPs worldwide
    24/7 Support ★★ Support Tickets - LiveChat - Phone

HostColor, thanks for advice.

sash, the main reason is the ping time. If you follow the new trends of Internet such AJAX and would bring the pleasure to your users, you need a small ping time.
    I live near the Europe, don't inside, and ping time to the europe servers is about 80-100 ms. The US servers ping time is greater than 250 ms.

HostColor, thanks for advice.
    sash, the main reason is the ping time. If you follow the new trends of Internet such AJAX and would bring the pleasure to your users, you need a small ping time.
    I live near the Europe, don't inside, and ping time to the europe servers is about 80-100 ms. The US servers ping time is greater than 250 ms.
    I see. Ping time to my sites, located in the US, are under 100. Just out of curiosity, which time do you get pinging www.rmv.be from your location?

sash

The average ping time is 233 ms.

The average ping time is 233 ms.
    Wow, than that's probably too much for you indeed.

On the other hand, sites I've hosted in BE and NL have got extremely small ping time -- but were down way too often. I've found the reliability I need in the US. Of course things could have changed by now, I may have chosen wrong hosts in the past etc. etc.

sash

Quote Originally Posted by sash View Post
    Wow, than that's probably too much for you indeed.

On the other hand, sites I've hosted in BE and NL have got extremely small ping time -- but were down way too often. I've found the reliability I need in the US. Of course things could have changed by now, I may have chosen wrong hosts in the past etc. etc.

sash
    While i feel sorry you did have some bad experiences, i do believe you can have great hosting in Europe, also the prices are getting more on par with the US counterparts.

I agree that many European service providers can learn a lot about actually delivering services and act in that way as well. Unfortunately this seems to be a slow process but i am sure it improves by the day in a time where customers are getting important again

As for speeds; there is no way a US host is faster, the latency towards the US is at least 90ms from almost any location towards the east-coast, when the site is visited from eastern europe you can add quite some ms to it.

The OP will need to look mainly to his customer base and see what is acceptable for him; some sites will run quite okay in the US; but sites with many small files to be downloaded would benefit a lot more from a host locally.

Quote Originally Posted by 040Hosting View Post
    While i feel sorry you did have some bad experiences, i do believe you can have great hosting in Europe, also the prices are getting more on par with the US counterparts.
    I moved to the US definitely after my main site was down for 3 consecutive days (and that was the best hosting option I could find at those times). As it was a business site, it meant loss of money, reputation etc., etc. Even with the worst American hosting providers I never experienced that level of incompetence and arrogance as here at home. Yes, the ping time I used to have here was 15-20 ms (instead of around 90 now), but what would you do with this fantastic ping time when your site is down every single day and the tech support is worthless?

I moved to the US definitely after my main site was down for 3 consecutive days (and that was the best hosting option I could find at those times). As it was a business site, it meant loss of money, reputation etc., etc. Even with the worst American hosting providers I never experienced that level of incompetence and arrogance as here at home. Yes, the ping time I used to have here was 15-20 ms (instead of around 90 now), but what would you do with this fantastic ping time when your site is down every single day and the tech support is worthless?
    Sash, wow 3 days, that is just incredible. Guess you where with the many co-located hosts with no remote hands at a datacenter to fix issues. You see this a lot in Europe. (Seems they dont want to work 24h or have technical staff on site?)

But you are right a 20ms ping but regular downtime is indeed worthless. For most sites a 90ms ping time would be acceptable in those cases.

Sash, wow 3 days, that is just incredible. Guess you where with the many co-located hosts with no remote hands at a datacenter to fix issues. You see this a lot in Europe. (Seems they dont want to work 24h or have technical staff on site?)
    It was Hostway.nl ; they claimed to have their own DC. At the end of the day, I had to email Hostway UK for support, because these creeps at .nl didn't bother to answer.

It was Hostway.nl ; they claimed to have their own DC. At the end of the day, I had to email Hostway UK for support, because these creeps at .nl didn't bother to answer.
    I am not that surprised but glad you found a good host in the US which works for you.

but glad you found a good host in the US which works for you.
    Thanks!

One little example of their expertise. One evening I'm noticing that my site is down. No answer to tickets. OK. I call their support -- and till about 3-4 in the morning everyone I can get there is telling me everything is good on their end and the problems is most definitely on my side, most probably some issues with my network.

The next day -- 10-12 hours later, site is still down -- I'm getting an email to all customers with a .be domain, telling that the whole .be segment went yesterday down -- and they're working hard etc.

What a bunch of lamers.

Thanks!

One little example of their expertise. One evening I'm noticing that my site is down. No answer to tickets. OK. I call their support -- and till about 3-4 in the morning everyone I can get there is telling me everything is good on their end and the problems is most definitely on my side, most probably some issues with my network.

The next day -- 10-12 hours later, site is still down -- I'm getting an email to all customers with a .be domain, telling that the whole .be segment went yesterday down -- and they're working hard etc.

What a bunch of lamers.
    This getting a bit off topic but, Fair is Fair you did go from a budget host to a quality provider. BTW if you had such a bad experience with HW; why not move your domain away from there ?

This getting a bit off topic but, Fair is Fair you did go from a budget host to a quality provider. BTW if you had such a bad experience with HW; why not move your domain away from there ?
    Yes, sorry, last answer: you know how the Belgian DNS handles their domains. I can not transfer it by myself. It can not be done by, let say, GoDaddy. I have to find a local agent willing to contact them and Belgian DNS and take it over. Besides, I'm losing 10 years advance payment for this domain.

I've tried to move it to EuroDNS, but they failed to do that for some reason.

Another thing that bothers me is life expectancy of the local registrar: in which problem I'd find myself if the next local registrar will disappear overnight? With this clumsy Belgian DNS system... At Belgacom (which most certainly won't disappear overnight), one year costs 50 euro.

I wish it was that simple as with .com or any generic domain.

OK, sorry for the (semi) off-topic.

sash

Very intresting, sash! You get the useful information. I need to find a good hosting provider service.
    Also US hosting companies exposes to risk of closure due to abuses and breaking the law by hosting "bad" sites. For example I suffered using 3FN hosting company which was seemed to me a relative reliable and considerable one.

For example I suffered using 3FN hosting company
    Do you mean this horror — http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2009/06/3fn.shtm ? My condolences.

You can still find them on a few TOP-10 sites. One more reason not to use / believe these top-10 crap.

sash

PS — I’ve missed it completely, did the search here and found nothing; how come? Also of interest: http://voices.washingtonpost.com/sec...3fn_taked.html
    Last edited by sash; 06-24-2009 at 04:18 PM.

BTW if you had such a bad experience with HW; why not move your domain away from there ?
    Just to close this topic: I've moved this domain from hostway. This time it went smooth and fast. Thanks for reminding!

sash