GBServers DNS- name servers?

I got a basic VPS from gbservers and have Ubuntu 8 installed, updated and working. Iv also managed to get Webmin with Virtualmin installed. Its all running sweet so far.

But Im confused about how to set up the DNS and if it is even desirable for me to have my own nameservers or is there nameservers already associated with the IP addresses of my VPS that I can use?

When setting up the VPS there was no mention of name servers at all in the emails from gbservers and their knowledge base on mentions setting up DNS with WHM which i dont think is any use to me.

You should use your own nameservers that should be setup with your domain registrar. You then add those nameservers you created into WHM, as the domain should point to a nameserver.

The things is Im not even using WHM.

Contacted support and I will have to setup my own DNS servers....Oh geezzz lol

Hello,

Doing a quick google search, or even a search on wht, brings up information on how to setup nameservers with webmin, there is probably some documentation on there website as well.

In your domain registrar you need to create custom or child nameservers, if your not sure how to do this, contact your domain registrar.
    <<Please see rules for signature setup>>

thing is Im not sure if I have to run my own nameserver can I not just use a free service such as Godaddy to point the various records to my IP addresses?

Im not sure how this would affect the rest of the virtual servers, domains and subdomains ect

Hello Andy,

I have had a quick search and found the following (I believe you are using GoDaddy as our domain registrar? as you mentioned it in your previous post, if not, please let me know):

The thread below gives you instructions on how to register your own custom nameservers with your domain at GoDaddy:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=237604

This website then shows you how to configure your nameservers with webmin:

http://www.sambahosting.com/forums/showthread.php?p=222

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
    <<Please see rules for signature setup>>

cheers buddy