Results 1 to 26 of 26
  1. #1

    VPS Provider With Best Quality Hardware?

    hi everyone,
    i am currently on a shared grid hosting plan at media temple. I'll be needing a VPS soon and i want the best quality out there. My resource requirements are 1TB bandwidth, 50 GB hard disk, 512mb ram minimum. i am happy with media temple's grid hosting and i have also seen their dv(vps) option. Still wanted to check out if there is any other high quality host out there with class A equipment like media temple. They use HP.
    stats like bandwidth, hard disk and RAM serve no purpose if they are not on a very high quality equipment delivering optimum performance round the clock.(for people looking for very high quality stuff). Found this community and can see this is the best community as far as web hosting goes. I would like to see any other high quality hosts out there which provide VPS.
    Thanks for reading and please share your valuable knowledge.
    Kind Regards,
    Farhan.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NJ, USA
    Posts
    258
    Welcome to WHT!
    You will indeed discover that there are many quality hosts that hang around on this forum. What kind of budget do you have? Once you let us know, we can help guide you to a reputable host.


  3. #3
    $50-100 per month

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NJ, USA
    Posts
    258
    You should be able to find something that suits your needs with that budget. I would recommend checking out the VPS hosting offers of this forum to find your perfect host. However, a few quality VPS hosts that come to mind are: futurehosting and sharkspace.

    Are you looking for a managed or unmanaged solution?


  5. #5
    hi OH-Bill,
    thanks for the warm welcome and all the help. I require an unmanaged VPS. Other quality providers i have heard good reviews about are liquidweb, wired tree and the planet. Will look into the two you mentioned. Do recommend anyone else you have in mind. I am flexible on the budget but not on quality.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NJ, USA
    Posts
    258
    Liquid web and wired tree definitely have great reputations here. Among the providers we have mentioned, I think you should chose the one that uses the virtualization software that you need. Are you looking for xen/openvz or parallels technology?


  7. #7
    Just as an FYI, having HP, IBM or Dell written on your servers' case doesn't mean much; the equipment inside the case is what makes the difference, when you have a proper Adaptec raid controller as opposed to onboard RAID, RE3 drives, instead of the cheaper desktop-grade HDDs, ECC memory, and so on.

    For your bandwidth requirement you might need to buy a plan with more resources, as packages generally scale up with RAM.
    478east
    High Bandwidth Servers
    Custom Hosting Solutions

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    534

    Lightbulb

    Quote Originally Posted by cristibighea View Post
    Just as an FYI, having HP, IBM or Dell written on your servers' case doesn't mean much; the equipment inside the case is what makes the difference, when you have a proper Adaptec raid controller as opposed to onboard RAID, RE3 drives, instead of the cheaper desktop-grade HDDs, ECC memory, and so on.

    For your bandwidth requirement you might need to buy a plan with more resources, as packages generally scale up with RAM.
    The OP is asking about VPS hosts with HP hardware. By having the name HP on the case of the server, he's assured that ALL of the equipment inside is a quality system. A Supermicro box can be purchased by anyone and a Silicon Image RAID controller stuck in it. Real people do not know what specific internal equipment are quality, and that's why he's asking for HP. He wants a good server, and knows that HP would not have such low quality gear giving them piece of mind that service will be reliable and online at all times.

    I look forward to hearing about other VPS providers hosting with HP equipment as well.

    --Chris
    The Object Zone - Your Windows Server Specialists for more than twelve years - http://www.object-zone.net/
    Services: Contract Server Management, Desktop Support Services, IT/VoIP Consulting, Cloud Migration, and Custom ASP.net and Mobile Application Development

  9. #9
    Finding a hosting provider that is reliable, uses 100% HP systems (quality systems?), and will allow you to use 1TB worth of DB, and 50GB of hard drive space is going to be hard to come back. I get the feeling you're either going to need to lower your space and bandwidth usage, or consider a dedicated server.

    WiredTree is however looked upon as a quality provider, and does have a 80GB/1TB bandwidth plan which is within your budget, and can be found here:
    http://www.wiredtree.com/managedvps/

    Fact is, that I'm actually concerned how much CPU/IO you're using if you're actually using that much bandwidth. A VPS provider may even get you for abusing "shared CPU" plans, simply for using to much CPU, if you're actually using that many resources. Are you really even using near 1TB of data and 50GB worth of disk space?

    512MB of RAM is fine, and is nothing abnormal.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,521
    Quote Originally Posted by farhan713 View Post
    hi everyone,
    i am currently on a shared grid hosting plan at media temple. I'll be needing a VPS soon and i want the best quality out there. My resource requirements are 1TB bandwidth, 50 GB hard disk, 512mb ram minimum. i am happy with media temple's grid hosting and i have also seen their dv(vps) option. Still wanted to check out if there is any other high quality host out there with class A equipment like media temple. They use HP.
    stats like bandwidth, hard disk and RAM serve no purpose if they are not on a very high quality equipment delivering optimum performance round the clock.(for people looking for very high quality stuff). Found this community and can see this is the best community as far as web hosting goes. I would like to see any other high quality hosts out there which provide VPS.
    Thanks for reading and please share your valuable knowledge.
    Kind Regards,
    Farhan.
    Quote Originally Posted by farhan713 View Post
    $50-100 per month
    There are many companies out there who uses SuperMicro rackmount servers with server grade parts are also pretty decent. It is not only HP servers which are good, but mainly who are the ones managing it and the hardware inside the box, not the branding outside it.

    With your budget, you should be able to get what you want. However, 1TB bandwidth, are you REALLY going to use it all? Where would you like your VPS to be located at?
    Quote Originally Posted by farhan713 View Post
    hi OH-Bill,
    thanks for the warm welcome and all the help. I require an unmanaged VPS. Other quality providers i have heard good reviews about are liquidweb, wired tree and the planet. Will look into the two you mentioned. Do recommend anyone else you have in mind. I am flexible on the budget but not on quality.
    AFAIK, The Planet does not deal with VPS.
    LIMENEX WEB HOSTING
    Affordable High Performance Web Hosting in United States & United Kingdom
    Web Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Managed VPS | Managed Dedicated Servers | Cheap SSL Certificates

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by OH-Bill View Post
    Liquid web and wired tree definitely have great reputations here. Among the providers we have mentioned, I think you should chose the one that uses the virtualization software that you need. Are you looking for xen/openvz or parallels technology?
    I am comfortable with the parallel technology but open to using any equivalent quality one.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by cristibighea View Post
    Just as an FYI, having HP, IBM or Dell written on your servers' case doesn't mean much; the equipment inside the case is what makes the difference, when you have a proper Adaptec raid controller as opposed to onboard RAID, RE3 drives, instead of the cheaper desktop-grade HDDs, ECC memory, and so on.

    For your bandwidth requirement you might need to buy a plan with more resources, as packages generally scale up with RAM.
    thats y i want a host reputable enough to keep the same quality of resources as much as they have on their case

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by ObjectZone View Post
    The OP is asking about VPS hosts with HP hardware. By having the name HP on the case of the server, he's assured that ALL of the equipment inside is a quality system. A Supermicro box can be purchased by anyone and a Silicon Image RAID controller stuck in it. Real people do not know what specific internal equipment are quality, and that's why he's asking for HP. He wants a good server, and knows that HP would not have such low quality gear giving them piece of mind that service will be reliable and online at all times.

    I look forward to hearing about other VPS providers hosting with HP equipment as well.

    --Chris
    perfect u got my point

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by AquariusADMIN View Post
    Finding a hosting provider that is reliable, uses 100% HP systems (quality systems?), and will allow you to use 1TB worth of DB, and 50GB of hard drive space is going to be hard to come back. I get the feeling you're either going to need to lower your space and bandwidth usage, or consider a dedicated server.

    WiredTree is however looked upon as a quality provider, and does have a 80GB/1TB bandwidth plan which is within your budget, and can be found here:
    http://www.wiredtree.com/managedvps/

    Fact is, that I'm actually concerned how much CPU/IO you're using if you're actually using that much bandwidth. A VPS provider may even get you for abusing "shared CPU" plans, simply for using to much CPU, if you're actually using that many resources. Are you really even using near 1TB of data and 50GB worth of disk space?

    512MB of RAM is fine, and is nothing abnormal.
    thanks for the link. but i am looking for unmanaged or semi managed

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by LaptopFreak View Post
    There are many companies out there who uses SuperMicro rackmount servers with server grade parts are also pretty decent. It is not only HP servers which are good, but mainly who are the ones managing it and the hardware inside the box, not the branding outside it.

    With your budget, you should be able to get what you want. However, 1TB bandwidth, are you REALLY going to use it all? Where would you like your VPS to be located at?
    AFAIK, The Planet does not deal with VPS.
    located in the US.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    73
    Did You Check KnownHost.com?? Their Support is really Good

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,512
    You can check out Steadcom, I believe they have quality parts that fit your budget.
    Psychz Networks - Dedicated Servers, Co-location | GigePipe - High Bandwidth Servers | PhotonVPS - SSD Cloud
    True Layer 7 DDoS Mitigation | BGP Optimized by Noction Intelligent Routing | Asia-Pacific Low Latency Routes
    Los Angeles, CA (US West) | Dallas, TX (US East) | Ashburn, VA (US East)

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    London
    Posts
    227
    Quote Originally Posted by cristibighea View Post
    Just as an FYI, having HP, IBM or Dell written on your servers' case doesn't mean much; the equipment inside the case is what makes the difference, when you have a proper Adaptec raid controller as opposed to onboard RAID, RE3 drives, instead of the cheaper desktop-grade HDDs, ECC memory, and so on.
    While I agree with your sentiment I think the design and build quality of some higher end branded equipment - for example an HP DL380 G5 - does exceed what you see from servers in unbranded rackmount cases.
    Andrew Ogilvie | Xtraordinary Hosting | AS30827 | Member of LINX
    Dedicated Servers in Central London | Xen VPS Linux & Windows | Complex Hosting | London BGP4 Bandwidth

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    395
    Quote Originally Posted by farhan713 View Post
    thanks for the link. but i am looking for unmanaged or semi managed
    Sounds like you are looking for top-quality hardware, specifically HP. May I suggest you look at ServInt. They don't use HP, but they use DELL rackmount servers (not desktop towers).

    They offer more resources than MediaTemple and better support. They are a managed provider... but you can use them as much or as little as you need (so basically unmanaged/semi-managed as requested).

    Check them out and email them with any questions your may have. I think you would be very happy with them.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,404
    if you find a VPS provider that has an infrastructure build to eliminate single points of hardware failure your request for high end hardware is less important.

    Guys like Slicehost, Linode etc comes to mind.


    D
    Ditlev Bredahl. CEO,
    OnApp.com & SolusVM.com + Cloud.net & CDN.net

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    395
    Quote Originally Posted by eming View Post
    Guys like Slicehost, Linode etc comes to mind.
    And vps.net of course. I have a small vps w/ vps.net and it is fairly impressive. Nice job.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,404
    Quote Originally Posted by mainpipe View Post
    And vps.net of course. I have a small vps w/ vps.net and it is fairly impressive. Nice job.
    thanks!


    D
    Ditlev Bredahl. CEO,
    OnApp.com & SolusVM.com + Cloud.net & CDN.net

  23. #23
    OS virtualization in an excellent choice when it comes to web services including VPS. You have 2 options to sign up with someone who offers OpenVZ, Virtuozzo, BSD Jails, Linux-VServer based VPS. There are also a few other technologies, but OpenVZ and Virtuozzo are the most popular.

    But you should probably go back to classic hosting from a Clustered/Cloud hosting... I didn't see web hosts that provide HA OS virtualization, even I'm sure someone do.
    Host Color Cloud Servers & Dedicated Hosting & European Infrastructure Hosting
    U.S. Data center 90 miles from Chicago
    Network ★ AS46873 Level 3, Cogent, Hurricane Electric, Retn.net, Midwest Peering
    24/7 Support 1-574-367-2393; Skype: HostColor

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    76
    I'm a fan of Geekstorage.com

    Good hardware, bandwidth, and customer service.

  25. #25
    mediatemple's hard ware is good but i really think it's control panel is hard to use,you have to spend to muchtime when you delete or upload files
    the control panel is very silly and you can't deleted a directory and slect files to delete you have to delete single files one by one or delete them via ftp.
    i install a zencart,then i spend 30 minutes to deleted it,i deleted zencart in 2 minutes in other hosting even free hosting.
    then if you want to upload your scripts such magento,prestshop.joomla.you only can upload via ftp programme,and can;t upload a zip file then unzip it via cpanel,it's a waste of time to upload files if you upload,backup your site.
    if you want to install modxcms,you have to switch your php version to php5,and then change many things ,and their mysql datebase is really hard to understand .
    they offer one click install for drupal ,wordpress,zencart,but if you want to install other cms or shopping cart.
    everything is hard to use and you have to spend too much time to run a simple script like joomla,modxcms,i have install many php scripts joomla,wordpress,modxcms,magento,zencart,prestashop.cscart and so on, on many hosting ,but i never seen so hard to install .

    with hundreds of dollars they really not worth it.
    i have asked them to refund

  26. #26
    thanks everyone for the input. Narrowed down to WiredTree and MediaTemple. It is really tough deciding between the two.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •