Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Pagerank sculpting has changed - nofollow no longer saves link juice

Google have changed how they are handling the "nofollow" attribute on your outgoing links.

Matt Cutts from Google made a post describing the changes: http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/pagerank-sculpting/

Here is a good diagram and analysis explaining the difference between then and now: http://www.seomoz.org/blog/google-sa...-with-nofollow

Whether or not you think "PageRank" is even worth measuring any more, link juice certainly is, and PageRank correlates absolutely with link juice. You (the SEOer) should be bothered about it.
    » Kayako customer service software and live chat software- your customers deserve better than helpdesk

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Edwards View Post

Whether or not you think "PageRank" is even worth measuring any more, link juice certainly is, and PageRank correlates absolutely with link juice. You (the SEOer) should be bothered about it.
    You are welcome to your opinion but IMO there is no connection between the "ranking juice" (God how I hate that expression) of a link and PR.
    I plan to live forever - so far so good
    Expert SEO |Sash Windows London

How has no follow changed? There were those who believed that no follow links still used to influenced the serps. Whats supposed to happen now? I read somewhere that Google is handicapping sites that no follow their out going links because they are being miserly with their PR.

Quote Originally Posted by Melnel View Post
    You are welcome to your opinion but IMO there is no connection between the "ranking juice" (God how I hate that expression) of a link and PR.
    "Link juice" is a number of things passed through a link, PageRank is part of it

Quote Originally Posted by rainchild View Post
    How has no follow changed? There were those who believed that no follow links still used to influenced the serps. Whats supposed to happen now? I read somewhere that Google is handicapping sites that no follow their out going links because they are being miserly with their PR.
    It is all thoroughly explained here: http://www.seomoz.org/blog/google-sa...-with-nofollow

It was not so much a case of "some people believing", more like "this is how it is" - Matt Cutts is head of Google's web spam team and the information he posts has never been unreliable.

Why am I skeptical? He never commits to anything and speaks generally about nothing. Are you certain there is a real live Matt or could he not be a team of Psycho students just having fun? What did he say or what did he not say? Is it really that obtuse?

Actually I think Matt Cutts is a bit ambiguous on this one, read his blog and the comments, Im not the only one who thinks so!

Have never bothered. He cannot be anything other than ambiguous and its saves a whole lot of time if you just watch your serp's and fine tune as and when necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by thefandango View Post
    Actually I think Matt Cutts is a bit ambiguous on this one, read his blog and the comments, Im not the only one who thinks so!
    LOL MC is paid to be ambiguous and convoluted and ... whatever it takes to push a lot of fine sounding words out into the ether so long as he reveals nothing finite about Google's ago or how they work.

So no follow no longer no follows. Weird. Whatever will they come up with next?

Nofollow still passes linkjuice. Just FYI. The day you listen to Matt Cutts for SEO advice is the day that you have fell into the sheeple of SEO.
    Automated Tendencies - Brand Management Agency from Baltimore, Maryland.
    Reputation Management • Search Engine Optimization • Pay Per Click • Email Marketing

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Edwards View Post
    "Link juice" is a number of things passed through a link, PageRank is part of it
    If you do some serious study of the Google search engine you will soon come to the realization that rankings based on relevancy are 99% of how Google works, with a small dollop of PR added at the very end, sort of like a dollop of whipped cream on your milk shake.

If Google pretty well keeps Search Rankings and PageRank in separate bedrooms and only trots out PageRank for a bit of show, why should we worry about PageRank and how its passed about and calculated?

Interesting - That's the first attempt at a definition of one of the most ambiguous terms that I have seen.

Does no follow, follow or no? Do you see what I mean?

This is sounding very ambiguous .No follow always saves your pr from being passed.If it has stopped then all my blogs will lose their page rank.

Why worry? Or is that you stiock in trade?

Quote Originally Posted by ddwebguru View Post
    This is sounding very ambiguous .No follow always saves your pr from being passed.If it has stopped then all my blogs will lose their page rank.
    That is not what the article, or Matt Cutts is saying. It is talking about the weight of each link coming from your site
    » Kayako customer service software and live chat software- your customers deserve better than helpdesk

And what did he say precisely? Is there any consensus amongst those that know?

Before: As well as making sure that the sink link does not receive any of your 'link juice', links that were nofollow(ed) were not taking into consideration when calculating the weight of every other nofollow link coming out of your site.

If you had 10 outbound links, 5 of which were nofollow(ed), very crudely the link weight for each of the links that were not nofollow(ed) was distributed about 5 - the number of your regular links.

Now: When you nofollow a link, no 'link juice' will be passed. However, the link is still considered by the link weight calculation.

If you had 10 outbound links, 5 of which were nofollow(ed), very crudely the link weight for each of the links that were not nofollow(ed) is now distributed about 10 - the number of ALL of your links, regardless of whether or not they are nofollow(ed).

<<image attached>>
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails prandnofollow.jpg  
    Last edited by SoftWareRevue; 06-26-2009 at 09:37 AM. Reason: attach image

I've always preferred to push link juice around the site with smart linking, rather than stopping the flow of it with nofollow. So generally the change will have little effect, except on some forums where i've used a lot of nofollow on print versions, hybrid, showpost and the mass of fluff pages created by vB.

I have always had a hunch the treatment of nofollow would change, it's intended usage ended up going down a path that didn't quite work out for Google.

I assume that none of this has any affect on serp's and that by link juice you mean PR. If so why the concern? Where does the value, where does the rationale lie? Is it just prestige or does it have some monetary value I am battling to see?

I assume that none of this has any affect on serp's and that by link juice you mean PR. If so why the concern? Where does the value, where does the rationale lie? Is it just prestige or does it have some monetary value I am battling to see?
    It will affect SERPs. Link juice is a number of things, PageRank being one of them, and a minor factor at that.

If so why the concern? Where does the value, where does the rationale lie?
    The rationale, you have a blog post with 10 internal dofollow links and 10 external nofollow links due to comments. If 10 sites link to your article, 5 of those backlinks are of no worth to your site because onpage the nofollow attribute is negating their positive effect.

Using nofollow on your site is now akin to contacting a random sampling of the sites linking to you and getting the backlinks removed. Same effects, your PR, Authority, Equity, Juice call it what you will is negated.

Doesn't make much sense to me. I use three week old directories to get the home pages of my sites to rank and in context, rank well. I use blog posts and articles to deep link to my internal pages and I am not sure I understand this concept of "link juice". What's quality, authority or whatever? How does it affect me? Could I be getting better results than I am now, by doing something different? If so how?

Yippers, that stuff you are talking about is complicated. Five of this and five of that and here I am thinking that they introduced "no follow" to pluck the stuffing out of the artificial market that developed around the demand for PR. Silly me.

Doesn't make much sense to me. I use three week old directories to get the home pages of my sites to rank and in context, rank well. I use blog posts and articles to deep link to my internal pages and I am not sure I understand this concept of "link juice". What's quality, authority or whatever? How does it affect me? Could I be getting better results than I am now, by doing something different? If so how?

Yippers, that stuff you are talking about is complicated. Five of this and five of that and here I am thinking that they introduced "no follow" to pluck the stuffing out of the artificial market that developed around the demand for PR. Silly me.
    It's not complicated, it's simple math. However if that's your strategy and it's working for you then you probably have no need worry.

But as I said if it has no impact on ones serp's what else is there? What am I missing? What could I be doing better? What am I not doing? What's all the fuss about? How is it relevant?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast