Godaddy - Let me tell you why I am leaving

I have defended godaddy at many levels on this forum, and truly believe they receive a lot of unwarranted criticism.

The thing that drives me crazy with them is the "canned" response e-mails. I look at this day and time, especially with the size of their company and wonder why they don't have 24 hour live chat. It drives me crazy that I get a response that it is not directly correlated to what I initially asked.

I don't expect the front line to always have the answers, but I would love to get some form of immediate response that let's me feel like my question is trying to be answered.

Of course, this may not fit into their business model, but surely at some point in time "Danika" is going to grow old and they will have to go back to roots of their business.

The extremely high cost of "whois privacy" is another thing that has been bugging me. Surely, they can at least be competitive in that arena.

I have nothing personal with godaddy. Many domains with them for years, but until they wake up and smell the coffee, I am going to take my domains elsewhere.

Whether it be namecheap or name... or just about anybody who can answer my question without asking a question in a canned e-mail, or a response that says, "I did not understand your question" can you provide details of your account, when my question had nothing do with my account.
    Mike

I not sure the other registrars are any better at that. Since the GoDaddy helpdesk is based in the US, at least you don't have the other issues found in support outsourced to foreign countries.

For both pricing breaks and another level of support you may want to consider a GoDaddy reseller.
    Collabora Hosting - Unlimited Windows and Linux Hosting
    Web Security - VPS - Dedicated Servers
    Cloud and Managed WordPress Hosting
    Read how we do Unlimited Hosting at the Unlimited FAQ

I also have domains with GoDaddy and pretty satisfied to see them as my registrar!

If you what whois privacy, then just ignore GODaddy.

To manage ur whois privacy renewals also we need to login to other website

Quote Originally Posted by raja314 View Post
    If you what whois privacy, then just ignore GODaddy.

To manage ur whois privacy renewals also we need to login to other website
    But GoDaddy offers whois privacy. Why people should ignore this company?

Yes, they do offer Privacy. I'm just telling i had to login to at someother place to renew Privacy for my domains. It would have been nice if there was some option to renew from their cpanel itself. This was months ago, not sure how the system for privacy works now.

Quote Originally Posted by Andreyfidrya View Post
    But GoDaddy offers whois privacy. Why people should ignore this company?

Quote Originally Posted by raja314 View Post
    Yes, they do offer Privacy. I'm just telling i had to login to at someother place to renew Privacy for my domains. It would have been nice if there was some option to renew from their cpanel itself. This was months ago, not sure how the system for privacy works now.
    So do you mean that it is impossible to renew privacy protection for GoDaddy domains?

Quote Originally Posted by redmeds View Post
    I have defended godaddy at many levels on this forum, and truly believe they receive a lot of unwarranted criticism.

The thing that drives me crazy with them is the "canned" response e-mails. I look at this day and time, especially with the size of their company and wonder why they don't have 24 hour live chat. It drives me crazy that I get a response that it is not directly correlated to what I initially asked.

I don't expect the front line to always have the answers, but I would love to get some form of immediate response that let's me feel like my question is trying to be answered.

Of course, this may not fit into their business model, but surely at some point in time "Danika" is going to grow old and they will have to go back to roots of their business.

The extremely high cost of "whois privacy" is another thing that has been bugging me. Surely, they can at least be competitive in that arena.

I have nothing personal with godaddy. Many domains with them for years, but until they wake up and smell the coffee, I am going to take my domains elsewhere.

Whether it be namecheap or name... or just about anybody who can answer my question without asking a question in a canned e-mail, or a response that says, "I did not understand your question" can you provide details of your account, when my question had nothing do with my account.
    It's really sad to hear about this i do understand your point of view,
    I really do think godaddy.com will be so much better in every way if they provided 24x7 live chat instead of those junky email's. Another alternative would of been to call the 24x7 phone support but i dont know how or if that work's for you. Godaddy i personally think is the best for domain's. Their hosting cp suck's but for domain's they are awesome. Also id recommend to put any adress on your domain if your worried about some one else getting it. Just provide an email that you can be reached at if ICANN does try to contact you regarding your domain which will prevent the domain from being messed with. Please keep us updated on who you decided to move with and im sorry once again to hear about this.
    〓〓 RackNerd LLC - Introducing Infrastructure Stability
    〓〓 Dedicated Servers, Private Cloud, DRaaS, Colocation, VPS, DDoS Mitigation, Shared & Reseller Hosting
    〓〓 www.linkedin.com/in/dustincisneros/
    〓〓 My fancy email dustin@racknerd.com

So do you mean that it is impossible to renew privacy protection for GoDaddy domains?
    Private registrations for GoDaddy domains are handled by Domains By Proxy. GoDaddy is an affiliate of Domains By Proxy. By adding privacy to your domain you are making Domains by Proxy the registrant. That's why their info gets into whois: they become the registrant while name holder retains management of domain.

During the process of adding/renewing privacy to the domain at GoDaddy you are asked if you have a Domains By Proxy account. If you do not, one is automatically created for you. If you do, you have the option of using that account or creating a new one. This is the 2nd login poster is referring to.

Thus you have the two logins because there are two separate entities involved (I don't think anyone would want their registrar to be the registrant too!). Fortunately the second login is usually done only once/year max and its integrated into the dns manager and the buy/renewal process.

I use GoDaddy as well. The largest downside is how slow the domain management system is. They also try to sell you so much junk when you are ordering a domain.
    Tailored VPS offers fully customizable VPS Hosting
    Powered by OpenVZ | Servers located in the USA | 99.9% Uptime

Quote Originally Posted by AHN-Jay View Post
    I use GoDaddy as well. The largest downside is how slow the domain management system is. They also try to sell you so much junk when you are ordering a domain.
    Yes, I agree with you, they offer a lot of different products during domain registration process. But personally I don't find it annoying. In addition to domain the company provides users with a splendid opportunity to get familiar with other services too.

Quote Originally Posted by AHN-Jay View Post
    I use GoDaddy as well.... They also try to sell you so much junk when you are ordering a domain.
    Yes, I agree with you, they offer a lot of different products during domain registration process. But personally I don't find it annoying....
    Yes, you can always scroll down and click on No thank you, continue to checkout.

Quote Originally Posted by Collabora View Post
    Yes, you can always scroll down and click on No thank you, continue to checkout.
    True... but it really is a pain having to go through all that fluff IMO
    Review Hell - Brutally Honest Web Hosting Reviews
    Helpful Web Hosting Advice
    Web Hosting Guide - Easy to Understand For Newbies

Quote Originally Posted by micksss View Post
    True... but it really is a pain having to go through all that fluff IMO
    Yes, it wreaks havoc on the index finger as the mouse wheel is nudged. Do it at work and maybe you can put in a disability claim.

If you want whois privacy, use Name.com. It's free and it works very well. You receive the emails.
    Signature Under Construction.

Quote Originally Posted by stub View Post
    If you want whois privacy, use Name.com. It's free and it works very well. You receive the emails.
    Is their whois privacy FREE for one year only?

Is their whois privacy FREE for one year only?
    No it's free every year. It's one of the many things I like about them.
    Sue

A generation which ignores history has no past — and no future. --Lazarus Long

Actually I have never registered domains with Name and always recommended my customers either Namecheap or GoDaddy. Ok, most likely I will try Name either.

Quote Originally Posted by BristolSue View Post
    No it's free every year. It's one of the many things I like about them.

Yes, simple control panel & GUI is the other good thing about them along with Google APPs.

I have already got used to Namecheap or GoDaddy, however, ok, I will consider Name as a good alternative in the future.

Godaddy is the biggest waste of time in the world. If you value your time at all, go with another registrar.

I recently did a lot of research and found name.com to be awesome.

Godaddy has a horrible interface, horrible support (keep in mind they DONT EVEN HAVE THEIR OWN SUPPORT TEAM! THEY LEASE SUPPORT WHICH IS SHARED WITH MANY OTHER COMPANIES.)

And don't even get me started on their barrage of up sells that makes purchasing anything on their site worse than chewing on tin foil.

I'll never do business with them again.

Did I mention that if you ever want to get a decent deal with that company you have to haggle and coupon hunt every time you
    want to purchase or renew an ssl certificate / domain.

Just stay away from them and you'll be happy that you did.

Side note: I havent used "namecheap" but comeon, they don't even have a number you can call in for support!

My 15 year old brother runs a web design company out of his parents house, and atleast he has a virtual 800 number through ring central you can call in if you have a problem.

With namecheap you HAVE to submit an online ticket. That's just silly. Go with name.com or some other company that can provide reliable service.

And as always, STAY AWAY FROM 1&1 (THEY ARE THE DEVIL!)

I go hot and cold with godaddy, and only recently have started paying close attention to my dealings with them.

I still have about 20 domains, transferred quite a few away this week, and I noticed something when I unlocked all of my domains with them. 2 of the domains seemed to go back to locked status, and one had a business registration attached to it.

I went to cancel the business registration, and it asked me if I wanted to cancel the account. Well, service and account are two different things so I called GD and spoke to a very wonderful lady who was very helpful. She pointed me to the proper section to just cancel the service. I asked her when did I purchase business registration, as I don't ever remember purchasing it... she told me back in 2007. I was in no position to argue, because apparently I paid in auto renew in 2008 as well.... my fault for not paying attention.

The moral of this story.... is always double check and triple check what you do with GD. I have so many domains with them, that when I received the e-mails for charges on this or that I just put them to the side and not really reading them.

I will tell anyone.... YOU ARE AT FAULT... for not reading everything, but fully sympathize with people, because someone who is generally watchful just completely missed being signed up for a service.

The perplexing question I had for her: How did two of my domains end up back in locked status when I recently unlocked them?

She asked, Why would you unlock them? I said, because I am about to transfer them. She said, "oh" well that makes sense.

She did not try to retain or upsell me, which I truly respect... and asked if there was anything else she could do for me.

I wish GD hired hundreds like her! Listen to your issue and give you an answer, and moderately inquire... and not talk about the why's of not leaving.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by wwwc21 View Post
    Side note: I havent used "namecheap" but comeon, they don't even have a number you can call in for support!

My 15 year old brother runs a web design company out of his parents house, and atleast he has a virtual 800 number through ring central you can call in if you have a problem.

With namecheap you HAVE to submit an online ticket. That's just silly. Go with name.com or some other company that can provide reliable service.

And as always, STAY AWAY FROM 1&1 (THEY ARE THE DEVIL!)

NC has 24/7 live chat. Anything outside of that realm gets referred to their support process

I also have 40 domains with name.com and they do not have an 800 number, nor or they 24/7 and I am equally happy with them. So, who are you gonna call at name.com at 11pm at night? What do you do with an issue at 11pm at night with name.com? submit an e-mail?
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by wwwc21 View Post
    Godaddy is the biggest waste of time in the world. If you value your time at all, go with another registrar.
    I have been dealing with GoDaddy for a long time and can see no reason to leave them. I have no problems either with their support or interface at all. The only fa ew problems I had were solved within several minutes. I haven't wasted time with Go Daddy at all
    Last edited by Andreyfidrya; 06-18-2009 at 05:22 AM.