cheapvps.co.uk support review

Hi,

Since the all their servers been hacked the cheapvps.co.uk support are so slow & not delivering the same support level as it was before.

I have 3 tickets which are 2 (CLG-850984 & CXR-651833) on hold since 09 Jun 2009 and 1 critical (KJV-379494) they can't fix.

1 critical ticket about: something happened over last night and all emails are stop working on my VPS.

Regards, Alex
    Last edited by web-project; 06-15-2009 at 05:43 PM.
    Low Cost Storage VPS plans at webprovps.com
    VPS Price Match Guarantee on: All our range of DDOS protected XEN HVM VPS
    == Contact us for any online solution development or managed / unmanaged vps hosting ==

Can you specify how long you have been with this company?

Is this a review or more of a "problems since the hack" thread?

I guess in my opinion the name of the company was cheap vps so can you see yourself how saving a few dollars off your monthly bill did also reduce the amount of support you should have been expecting?

Good luck in your next host bro

They have loads of support tickets, since they just got back up, and hypervm is down, so they have a lot of tickets to do, such as reboot, rebuild, etc.
    It is hard to get back to everyone fast, if they have so many customers opening a ticket every minute!

that's alright I have a 5 day old billing ticket that has had 0 updates.

I expected this so I have found a new host.
    USNYR Hosting

care to submit an IP to the mods so they can verify thats its with cheapvps?
    If you need help about anything to do with WHT, check out the Helpdesk

I believe cheapvps.co.uk is part of vaserv (formerly owned by Rus), now under PoundHost from another thread on WHT. Try contacting them and you should be able to resolve your issue.

Can you specify how long you have been with this company?
    only since 12th of November 2007.

Is this a review or more of a "problems since the hack" thread?
    No, this topic about how the cheapvps.co.uk is working after & don't care about the old clients...

They have loads of support tickets, since they just got back up
    Do they care about my business & my clients???? The answers is NO as they not responsible for anything... why I should wait for their unprofessional support? I paid in advanced for their service... I don't care about their security problems as the security audit of the servers service exists, no one stopping them to use these services and patch all the issues!

care to submit an IP to the mods so they can verify thats its with cheapvps?
    sure, no problem - 85.234.147.107 (main), 85.234.147.108 (second one), do you need others?
    == Contact us for any online solution development or managed / unmanaged vps hosting ==

Sorry to hear about the problems. Since you have been a long term customer, you will expect the same level of support as you were getting earlier. Any way they may have loads of ticket which is beyond their scope to manage quickly because of the recent problems. But it is not an explanation for your sufferings.

Alex I am sure a bunch of other people feel the same as you do. Fact is though however they are 100% overworked, and are unable to manage things currently (basing solely on the time its taking them to respond to tickets and the quality of responses you get when they DO get back with you).

Find a new provider. If your lively hood is at stake, now that the "hacking" is over, they need to stabilize them selfs and it doesn't seem as if its happening given these review threads that keep popping up. Trying to stabilize themeless, and actually doing it are two different things. I'm sure it must be tough, considering their huge client base, but there are no reasons to feel sorry for a provider when your lively hood is at stake.

Quote Originally Posted by alex-developer View Post
    only since 12th of November 2007.

No, this topic about how the cheapvps.co.uk is working after & don't care about the old clients...

Do they care about my business & my clients???? The answers is NO as they not responsible for anything... why I should wait for their unprofessional support? I paid in advanced for their service... I don't care about their security problems as the security audit of the servers service exists, no one stopping them to use these services and patch all the issues!

sure, no problem - 85.234.147.107 (main), 85.234.147.108 (second one), do you need others?
    Alex, did not mean to sound rude in my post earlier. I honestly thought this was another review flying in with the customer only being with the company for a few days. In this case I can definitely see your point and wish you the best!

cheapvps.co.uk is now lying about credit to account!!!!

The attached images are support/billing ticket & View Credit option in their account system the proof to my above words.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image2.jpg  

"Lying" is probably not what has occurred, Alex. They have publicly announced that they are giving ALL clients 1 month free service, 2 months for those who had data erased.

I suspect either you are seeing an oversight, or, as is more likely, they have not finished collating the list of clients that require 1 month / 2 month credits and simply haven't yet applied the credits to all accounts.
    “Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under
    considerable economic stress at this period in history.”

Quote Originally Posted by mwatkins View Post
    "Lying" is probably not what has occurred, Alex. They have publicly announced that they are giving ALL clients 1 month free service, 2 months for those who had data erased.

I suspect either you are seeing an oversight, or, as is more likely, they have not finished collating the list of clients that require 1 month / 2 month credits and simply haven't yet applied the credits to all accounts.
    where's the announcement regarding the free month, if you could link to it that would be just great. thanks

"Lying" is probably not what has occurred, Alex.
    Sorry, but the credit is not appeared on the account, simply to write something in ticket and never do, very strange way to deal with clients....

2 months for those who had data erased.
    Never had, as I lost another VPS & never was offered anything...

Let's not forget that some things may be taking longer since they no longer have hypervm (or so I read) and as such things will need to be done manually on any of the boxes running openvz and possibly not all staff will be able to do this.

On the new platform however they do/should have a backend and so should be fine.

I do think you need to give time to let the "takeover" properly complete and a transition but at the same time you still shouldn't be waiting that long for responses.
    Data Republic - UK Managed Servers - Server Management - Managed Backup/R1Soft
    Follow us on Twitter to get exclusive sales & updates.
    R1Soft Agents Monthly !

Quote Originally Posted by alex-developer View Post
    Sorry, but the credit is not appeared on the account
    Apparently you did not read my post very closely. I suggested it was less likely that they have *lied* (your words) to you and more likely that they have not yet got around to posting credits for thousands of customers.

Quote Originally Posted by dado
    where's the announcement regarding the free month, if you could link to it that would be just great. thanks
    Grant from the VAServ billing department came on-line here at WHT to confirm the 1 month / 2 month credit offer, and posted further instructions. Here's the message:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...57#post6225957

And the relevant snippet:

Quote Originally Posted by GrantUK
    - We'll be issuing clients who have experienced downtime in this instance with 1 months worth of credit
    - We'll be issuing clients who have experienced downtime and loss of data in this instance with 2 months worth of credit

I understand that both/either of these situations will be upsetting and frustrating for many. To activate these credits please submit a BILLING ticket entitled "SLA Request", or reply to our previous email. We would very much appreciate it if you could wait until a "Reason For Outage" has been announced and things have calmed down before submitting this.

Over the next few days as we settle back down the whole team will be working hard to ensure that you're receiving the service that you deserve. We're looking to come back from this experience better and stronger than ever.
    Emphasis is mine. Perhaps you should do that, just to be sure it is not overlooked.

You're looking in the wrong place for billing credit. Mine was simply added to my account which now, instead of expiring in august, will expire in october.

Also, all of my tickets, with the exception of an OS reload request when they were still reprovisioning, were responded to within a few hours. The OS reload took half a day.

(CheapVPS since last august, current IP 98.142.208.115)

lost everything i had, requested refund last week, still in waiting for it.. going to come down to paypal soon.
    Martyn

I can save you some time on a paypal dispute. Web hosting is considered by paypal to be a non-refundable purchase as it falls under intangible quality of a purchase which is not covered. Your only rights would be with a credit card company.

then Barclays will be getting a email if my money is not credited to my card by Monday.... think i may contact them see what they say, i guess they have insurance, have been told to sue them for lose of earnings, but i want to know if anyone else has done this approach?
    Martyn

Quote Originally Posted by MartynD View Post
    have been told to sue them for lose of earnings
    No doubt your costs in pursuing legal action would be greater than your "loss", and, in the end, any such legal action is likely to be fruitless.

I draw your attention to cheapvps.co.uk's Terms of Use:

The Supplier’s entire liability to you in respect of any breach of his contractual obligations, any breach of warranty, any representation, statement or tortious act or omission including negligence arising under or in connection with this agreement shall be limited to the charges levied for the provision of the services in the month in which the damage complained of arose.

The Supplier shall not be liable to you for any indirect or consequential loss that you may suffer even if the loss is reasonably foreseeable or you have informed the Supplier of the possibility of you incurring the same.
    Very standard contract terms for most any service business. Only will full negligence would be considered by a court as reason to award damages.

At best you might be able to claim a few dollars, or pounds, for a months hosting -- but that's it. It'll cost you thousands of pounds or dollars to try to secure more. Those are not very good odds.

But wait, your own responsibilities are laid out:

Backups
    The Supplier does not backup any dedicated servers. It is down to you to backup your information and accordingly the Supplier does not accept any liability for any of your data whether being lost due to your failure to backup your information.
    The intent is clear and it is repeated throughout their service documents. They provide an inexpensive platform; beyond that you are largely on your own.

I wish WHT would post a BIG sticky on the forum........... If it is important to you, BACK IT UP YOURSELF!

I don't care if you have a $1.00 a month server or a $1000.00 a month server. If it is important, if your site generates revenue, and if you can truly be harmed by lost data, then "never" rely on a host to do backups, even if they do nightly backups.

Hire someone to do it for you, a server management company... do it yourself, but for all the whining and moaning about people losing revenue (which I call bunk on for the most part) if you truly... truly have valuable data, then BACK IT UP YOURSELF!

and... always have a backup plan.

People here are going for peanut cost hosting, and then screaming when something goes amiss. It happens on all spectrums of hosting no matter if it Joe 6 pack running a server out of his basement, a reputable name in the server industry.... bad things happen. You minimize bad things, when you understand you don't completely rely on someone to protect "your" data.

I wish I could tack this to every thread in here where someone says they are:

A. Losing Money
    B. Lost Valuable Data
    C. Lost months of hard work

Sure, the hosting company should be held responsible to the extent that you agreed upon with them, but ultimately... it is your data, and they just hosted it. Once the mistake happens.... all the bitching in the world is not going to bring it back.

Always.... have a backup plan! you minimize losses that way.

Have a cheaper server sitting in the waiting in the event! Never host your domain with your host. There are many things you can do to prevent loss of cash flow, loss of valuable data, and loss of hard work. Put more energy to the before the fact, and you will spend less energy after the fact.

I am not pro host or pro customer here... I just here shaking my head at times with all the information on this site... and it is the same thing... over and over!

off of soap box now.
    Mike

Apparently you did not read my post very closely. I suggested it was less likely that they have *lied* (your words) to you and more likely that they have not yet got around to posting credits for thousands of customers.
    Very great company as it's impossible to get the Refund for service which I have paid in advance up to December 2009.
    They simply replied with following:
    Hello Alexander,

Thank you for getting in touch with us.

We are very disappointed with your recent experience with VAServ and understand that recent events caused by this 3rd party attack will have been very inconvenient and stressful. We would like to sincerely apologize for this.

In addition to this I am afraid that we are not offering refunds at this point, and as such we can either proceed with a termination or we can provision a fresh new VPS on our brand new platform and get you going with 2 months free of service, on top of what you have already paid.

I understand how recent outage has been stressful and annoying for you but still put my hopes to keep you as a customer.

In case of any further questions or comments, feel free to let us know. Thank you.
    -------
    Sincerely,
    Vladimir Neskovic
    and it's nothing in T&C regarding the Refunds....

For RUS Ticket number: CTV-488196, if he still bothered about his business.

I got the same canned crap from them. To hell with them. They lost all my respect.

They lied and lead us on that they'll "deal with refunds afterwards" to do what, change their mind and send out that crap?

Facts of the case very simple. You pay for something you are required to receive it. Otherwise it is FRAUD on the sellers part.

They have committed fraud and I have explained the facts to my credit card company. They issued an immediate charge back. (Charges were less then 3 weeks old).

VAServ/CheapVPS/FSCKVPS is a Rip off scheme who know they have a lousy product that they will not stand behind. I'm going to invoice them for my time dealing with my credit card company. Wonder how they'll respond to that ticket.
    USNYR Hosting

For RUS Ticket number: CTV-488196, if he still bothered about his business.
    No any more bothered, as from tomorrow it's not his business:

As tomorrow is the last official trading day of VAServe LTD UK enity
    before the new UK and US companies become the official companies we
    have cancelled active subscriptions. This is to ensure no accidental
    payments are made. The new LTD and LLC will have their own paypal
    account, details of which will be sent in the next few days. IF you
    have any due invoices please don't worry as we will not be suspended
    people for non payment

Rgds

Rus Foster
    VAServe LTD

I'm just going to post this to put things into context which was sent to all customers

Further to my recent emails, I wanted to update you on the state of play following the issues caused by the hacker attack two weeks ago.

As you know, we have worked hard alongside BlueSquare Data in conjunction with our US providers to rebuild customer servers and we are pleased to report that the vast majority are now back up and running. We very much appreciate your patience during such a difficult period of time.

It is also my pleasure to announce that, as of 1 July 2009, BlueSquare Data will acquire the customer contracts of VAServ.

I want to assure you that nothing will change from your perspective as a customer – even though the company name is changing, the VAServ pricing options and technical support platform will stay exactly as they are now. However, you will benefit from added infrastructure resilience as the VPS nodes migrate to a new higher specification platform based upon the input of myself and BlueSquare Data technical staff.

In addition, I am joining BlueSquare Data full-time and will remain very much involved with, and at the forefront of, the new business within BlueSquare Data.

Please be aware that neither BlueSquare Data nor PoundHost will be able to support technical or billing enquiries. Therefore you must continue to visit: http://support.vaserv.com in order to receive support. Please also note that we are using this opportunity to consolidate our support methods down to email and ticket only to permit a more efficient response to queries.

In terms of ongoing contracts, please note that:

* VAServ customers on UK-based servers will, from 1 July, contract with BlueSquare Data VPS Ltd (trading as VA Serv); and
    * Customers on US-based servers will, also from 1 July, contract with BlueSquare Data VPS (US) LLC (trading as VA Serv).
    * The payment receipts on credit cards and paypal will be reflected to update this.
    * All existing brands (fsckvps.com, Cheap VPS & a2b2.com) will be consolidated under the VAServ brand name starting on the 1 July 2009, though your billing will be handled by either the US or UK legal entity.

This change will enable us to respond as quickly as possible to any problems, and ensure the transition works as smoothly as possible for you. It will also permit us to better tailor future new products and new services to your geographic location.

Finally, I would like to emphasise again that:

* there is no change to support: please continue to go to: http://support.vaserv.com

* there is no change to pricing

* there is no change to the core team of people you know and have worked with.

Once again, may I take this opportunity to thank you for your patience over the past couple of weeks and I look forward to a continuing relationship in our new BlueSquare Data ‘home’. Please don’t hesitate to contact me personally if you have any questions or concerns.

Best regards,

Rus Foster

VAServ
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon

Quote Originally Posted by redmeds View Post
    I wish WHT would post a BIG sticky on the forum........... If it is important to you, BACK IT UP YOURSELF!

I don't care if you have a $1.00 a month server or a $1000.00 a month server. If it is important, if your site generates revenue, and if you can truly be harmed by lost data, then "never" rely on a host to do backups, even if they do nightly backups.

Hire someone to do it for you, a server management company... do it yourself, but for all the whining and moaning about people losing revenue (which I call bunk on for the most part) if you truly... truly have valuable data, then BACK IT UP YOURSELF!

and... always have a backup plan.

People here are going for peanut cost hosting, and then screaming when something goes amiss. It happens on all spectrums of hosting no matter if it Joe 6 pack running a server out of his basement, a reputable name in the server industry.... bad things happen. You minimize bad things, when you understand you don't completely rely on someone to protect "your" data.

I wish I could tack this to every thread in here where someone says they are:

A. Losing Money
    B. Lost Valuable Data
    C. Lost months of hard work

Sure, the hosting company should be held responsible to the extent that you agreed upon with them, but ultimately... it is your data, and they just hosted it. Once the mistake happens.... all the bitching in the world is not going to bring it back.

Always.... have a backup plan! you minimize losses that way.

Have a cheaper server sitting in the waiting in the event! Never host your domain with your host. There are many things you can do to prevent loss of cash flow, loss of valuable data, and loss of hard work. Put more energy to the before the fact, and you will spend less energy after the fact.

I am not pro host or pro customer here... I just here shaking my head at times with all the information on this site... and it is the same thing... over and over!

off of soap box now.
    Although I do agree with you - your little lecture means nothing to many.

I have deployed my backup plan - I was willing to stick it out but they failed to communicate with their customers. This is not an issue about losing. This is an issue about poor business practice.

This thread is about poor service not personal responsibility of the customer. Lets talk about personal responsibility of the business owner.

1. If you sell a product you cannot deliver - issue immediate refunds and apologizies!
    2. Don't lie to customers. Because they will find out the truth.
    3. Swallow your pride and do whats right.

VAServ needs loyal customers more then we need them. I have found an alternative. And many else on these forums have.
    USNYR Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by ZacUSNYR View Post

I have deployed my backup plan - I was willing to stick it out but they failed to communicate with their customers. This is not an issue about losing. This is an issue about poor business practice.

This thread is about poor service not personal responsibility of the customer. Lets talk about personal responsibility of the business owner.

1. If you sell a product you cannot deliver - issue immediate refunds and apologizies!

VAServ needs loyal customers more then we need them. I have found an alternative. And many else on these forums have.
    I totally agree with you, and I am sure that my rant will be lost on many. I just keep reading these threads where people are upset about losing their data, and are getting no where with their provider.

You are absolutely correct that companies have a responsibility, but also understanding the reality that if you lose data, then you have lost data... and if it is important to you, then a refund or a credit is not going to return that data.

My point is, and will always be. If your data means something to you, make a backup and have an alternative plan. If the company issues you a refund, then that is great. If the company credits your account for free service, then that is great. But... if a company loses your valuable data, and you did not make sure that your valuable data was secure.... well, you can blame the company all day, but you will more than likely never get it back.

Proactive! is does your data good.

Not a lecture... I promise, just making sure that people who read some of these threads take notice. It is a situation that sucks... almost as bad as not making a backup of your personal PC, thinking I will get to it the next day... and then Wham! it happens. It is a horrible feeling.
    Mike

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by ZacUSNYR View Post

100% agreed on every point. already found alternative - better provider, as for credit will use as backup plan, but how I can be confident about backup account, if some 13 years old kid will not hack their backup servers tomorrow? as they don't use any security hardening services or never do security audits.........

I've experienced terrible support from VAServ this week.

It looks like they moved my VPS to a new server, in doing so they managed to take it offline for 8 hours. When I got back on the xen modules were missing, iptables modules were missing, my RAM was cut in half and the time from the host was inaccurate.

I updated my support ticket but it seems nobody wanted to respond despite chasing, so I have cancelled.

To be fair to VAServ, before last month they were a decent provider (not to say just because they were hacked excuses the way the treat customers now). I hope they get back on their feet and provide the level of service we were used to.

I thank the hacker who took them. Teached me a lot.
    USNYR Hosting

^^ talk about learning the hard way :/