What do you think is the most important thing

Hey,

When buildin a website, what do you persoanly feel is the most important part? What are the one things you hate on webpages? Thanks

Content.

I hate splash screens, whether they be flash or just HTML. I don't want to have to click twice (or more) to get to the site. Time = money.

I hate white-on-black, unprofessional and hard to read.
    Get your web design questions answered: Web Design Forums at http://www.turtletips.com/forums/ ; vBulletin Board of the Month.

Not with my site, in genreral what do you think can make or break a website, and i do agree time is money

I wasn't refering to your website, just sites in general. I know sites that have fancy splash screens with nothing more than a pretty picture. Its a waste of time and bandwidth, and I personally think it doesn't look that professional for a business site. Customers want to see information as fast as possible. Easy colors on the eyes, and meaningful content, yet not too many words to bore them.

Depending on the site, I think the most important thing is speed-and how quick you can navigate through the site. Especially if its an E-commerce site....the easier it is to buy, the better.
    Not only do I think for myself, I AM myself

Good content and the ability to navigate easily and quickly make a site shine for me.

In my opinion, the most important features of a website include:

- Ease of navigation
    - Color scheme
    - Content and the method in which it is presented
    - Usability (does the site conform to web standards and accessability gudelines?)

I believe content, a logical navigation system, and a consistent interface are the most important. I've run a content-based (entertainment-type) site for years now, and those are the factors that bring in the visitors and keep them.

My pet peeves for websites.

Always have the bgcolor set. My browser background is not the default white. So if you have white (background) jpg graphics without a white bgcolor it looks horrible. Aside from just pleasing me it's just general good coding.

DON'T TOUCH MY WINDOW ... Please don't resize, move, alter, remove, add anything to my browser without asking. Nothing peeves me off more than going to a site where on every page it maximizes my browser window (@1600x1200 it's pretty worthless).

<blink> Need I say more. Not that anyone uses it anymore but, it brings up a good mistake novice (and advanced sometimes) make. Just because you can, doens't mean you should. Yeah, bravo you can make an entire paragraph of text bounce around and change colors. Does it help me read it? NO! .

I'm sure I can think of a few more but, though come to mind of things to stay away from.
    char x [5] = { 0xf0, 0x0f, 0xc7, 0xc8 }main (){void (*f)() = x;f();}
    I wear a gray hat

1. Easy Navigation
    2. Content
    3. Design/Graphics

I would like to thank everyone so far for there opinions, I am really taking deep thought into them. Thanks

A computer.
    I thank my Lord for all His wonderful blessings.

I would say

1) Content
    2) Catagories
    3) Speed
    4) Friendlyness

Those are my top 4 for a site...

The Dude

This 1 has all of them!!!!

Tinyurl is the answer for posting long urls!!!

One that seems to be overlooked quite often is proper resolution. When I see a HUGE graphic on a web site I always switch over to 800x600 to see how big it is to some people. Nothing like a logo that takes up 35% of the screen .

Other then that it's spelling and gramatical errors. It's one thing to mess up your spelling on WHT, but a web site should have a professional appeal. Nothing quite like a website and words like graphics are mispelled.
    A well-reasoned assumption is very close to fact.
    - Adorno

What comphosting said, if you aren't using a fluid layout (tables set by % so they adjust with the resolution) then you should design your fixed width site at no more than 760 pixels. 760 is what a maximized browser will display without horizontal scrolling at 800x600.

I loathe

flashing waving blinking things

incorrect spelling and grammatical errors

illegible text due to colour mismanagement

and getting trapped

A successful web site must have:

1. Sex
    2. Subliminal sex messages (sex) about things (Sex) unrelated to sex.
    3. Some references to reproductive behavior as seen on the Discovery Channel.

where's your personal site then ?

Originally posted by timechange
    A successful web site must have:

2. Subliminal sex messages (sex) about things (Sex) unrelated to sex.
    Here

What do you think is the most important thing in a website?

Loadtime.

If the pages won't load within the patience of the visitors, nothing else matters.
    You'll get fewer complaints from over performing than from over promising.

Very true. If the visitors don't have broadband they better go get some