Recommded Dedicated Server Specs??

Hello,

I runa website that receive and avergae of 1000 visits per day with this increasing to around 3000 around christmas.

I am looking at buying a server with the following specs:

Dual Core Intel Xeon 3040 1.86 GHz
    1 GB RAM
    4000 GB Bandwidth per month
    100Mbit Connection

My bandwidth usage is around 18,000 MB per month but over christams increases to around 35,000 MB for decemebr and november.

Do you think the above servr spec is sufficient enough?

Thanks

Bandwidth is enough but I recommend you to increase the ram to at least 2GB and make sure the drives are at aleast sata 2.

Specially 4 U
    Reseller Hosting: Boost Your Websites | Fully Managed KVM VPS: 3.20 - 5.00 Ghz, Pure Dedicated Power
    JoneSolutions.Com is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions, server management and services since 2001
    Debian|Ubuntu|cPanel|DirectAdmin|Enhance|Webuzo|Acronis|Estela|BitNinja|Nginx

That's enough!
    Your site will run fine.

Thanks for the updates so far. This has helped.

Yep that's fine, although get 2 GB of RAM - the OS will take up 512 MB (or thereabouts), and with cPanel it'll be close to 1 GB usage before you've began.

But yeah, make sure that MySQL and Apache are optimised and you'll be fine with that spec.
    Plagiarism Guard - Protect Against Content Theft
    Tristan Perry - Personal blog

That spec is overkill for such a small site. But like others said, maybe you need more ram and you'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by DH - Tristan Perry View Post
    Yep that's fine, although get 2 GB of RAM - the OS will take up 512 MB (or thereabouts), and with cPanel it'll be close to 1 GB usage before you've began.

But yeah, make sure that MySQL and Apache are optimised and you'll be fine with that spec.
    Uh, more like half of that.... a CentOS server with MySQL, Apache & PHP uses less than 200MB. A cPanel server can run a few websites with 512MB RAM.

I think the above server with 2 GB RAM should suffice for your requirements even when the number of visits per day increases during Christmas.
    Cloud Hosting - Intelligent, Auto-Scalable & Pay-Per-Use | Near Unlimited Resources
    Dedicated Servers - Fully Managed UK Dedicated Servers
    Complete, Fully Managed Web Hosting solutions at eUKhost.com!

A year ago I had a server with almost the same specs. I hosted around 200 sites on it with no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    Uh, more like half of that.... a CentOS server with MySQL, Apache & PHP uses less than 200MB. A cPanel server can run a few websites with 512MB RAM.
    Uses more than that for me, although there are some other software programs running in the background It also depends on whether it's a 32-bit or 64-bit OS, of course.

Although in my experiences a full dedicated server with cPanel, running on CentOS 64-bit uses more than 512 MB RAM - around 850 MB RAM for me.
    Plagiarism Guard - Protect Against Content Theft
    Tristan Perry - Personal blog

If you really want to take advantage of your dual cores, dual ranked RAM sticks (1GB each) wouldn't be a bad idea. And with how cheap RAM is now days, 2GB shouldn't cost you too much.

Alex

You definately need more RAM to improve performance. What drives are you using? I recommend getting RAID as a must. You wouldn't want a drive failure.

Thanks for all the replies. The company offerig this server have changed the processor to a Intel Pentium 4 3.0GHz, instead of the dual core earlier, does this matter much?

Thanks

It will be slower than the dual core.
    478east
    High Bandwidth Servers
    Custom Hosting Solutions

Noticeabley slower do you think?

Much of this depends on the type of site you're running.

Is the site CPU heavy? Does it make use of dynamic technologies like PHP? Does it use additional dynamic components (like a MySQL back-end)?

Or is it primarily a static site?

If it's primarily a static site, then 1GB RAM and a P4 should be just fine for you.

If it's a dynamic site then whether or not that system will work for you depends completely on the resource usage of your site. If it's computation heavy then you may need more CPU. If it uses a decent amount of memory then you'll need more RAM. If it's makes heavy use of disk I/O then you will want to consider RAID.
    Take 2 Hosting, Inc. - Hosting Done Right
    Fully automated setup - new servers in as little as 10 minutes
    http://www.take2hosting.com/

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php Even in synthetic tests, a model slightly faster than the 3040, the 3050 is more than twice as fast as a Pentium 4 at 3.0GHz. I think you might do better with a VPS if money is an issue, rather than using old hardware.
    478east
    High Bandwidth Servers
    Custom Hosting Solutions

Thanks for this. My site is actually a shopping site using X-cart if anyones know it?

Thanks

Intel Pentium 4 3.0GHz will do fine for streaming site.