• Ubuntu

13 12.04%
  • Debian

22 20.37%
  • Other

10 9.26%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What Liinux Do You Use?

Hello i would like to ask people what Linux do they use on your vps? and a little why. (i am trying to work out what one is the best to use)

I didn't cast a vote, but I am going to be using CentOS when i buy my VPS.

Sorry, can't answer the question. I use all of those three for various reasons on various VPSs.

It depends on what you want to do.

I am using CentOS on my cPanel hosting machines. I am testing a couple of control panels that seem to work best on Debian. I have an Ubuntu machine I am using as a remote desktop.

I don't know that there is one right answer. It all depends on what you want to accomplish.

I use CentOS primarily for effective cPanel support, however, I could see myself using any of the above depending on the specific application needed.

CentOS as its widely used and easy to learn....

Lol this question seems to get brought up about once a week lol

CentOS is by FAR the most widely used OS here from a webhostingtalk perspective, as well really in web hosting in general. Debian is also pretty good as well, however not as widely used. Fedora is like a "testing bed", and as such, isn't very stable and isn't recommended for a hosting perspective.

CentOS is mainly used for VPS nodes, cPanel/WHM servers, hosting servers, and much more.
    Debian/Ubuntu are great for people starting off, as I started off with Debian and Ubuntu, and found it relevantly easy to use and learn. However, not all programs are compatible with Debian/Ubuntu!

Gentoo Linux
    My Personal Sites:Oh !!!MIYU-GのDAYs
    http://www.1221.in
    MY LIFE IS COOL,SO IS MY VPS I WILL TELL YOU MORE ABOUT VPS

I use all of those, but most of the VPS/Dedicated servers I purchase tend to prefer Centos, so most of my hosted servers use that.

If you are a newbie, don't worry about stuff like "what linux". Whatever you learn will be more or less transferable to another Linux or BSD or Unix down the road.

CentOS is popular, that doesn't make it the best for a given task or the nicest to work with. It has a head of steam due to its origins and more to the point because some very popular control panels support it very well. Newcomers to all this are not following bad advice if they go with the flow and use what most people are using, but maybe you should ask some folks who uses these tools and exclaim "they are the best" why - see if they can formulate an answer. Maybe the answer will meet your needs, maybe not.

I've used HP/UX, DG/UX, SunOS, NextStep, Solaris, a bunch of Linuxes, and FreeBSD. Of the Linuxes I prefer Debian; of the Unix-based OS's I prefer FreeBSD for a bunch of reasons.

You'll find as a "guest" OS many different Linux "distros" but rarely a FreeBSD - but there are FreeBSD VPS providers out there, as well as "jail" providers which are similar in some ways to OpenVZ Linux-based VPS offerings.

In the end most applications one needs for web hosting and web application development are available on every Linux distro and BSD and Unix, so its not like you are cutting off options if you choose one over the other. The one area where you will find limitations in support for certain OS's is in the area of commodity hosting control panel software and for many that is the only reason they pick one OS over another.

Just find a reliable provider that meets your budget and go with the flow - use whatever they have.
    Last edited by mwatkins; 06-15-2009 at 12:28 AM.
    “Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under
    considerable economic stress at this period in history.”

For server - Debian/Ubuntu. (Solaris; not Linux.)
    For workstation - Arch Linux.
    SysAdmin.xyz
    Having severs with customer data on it without proper monitoring is like having one night stand without using protections - eventually, there will be an 'oh s**t!' moment.

CentOS if you install Cpanel, else Ubuntu. I choose Ubuntu because it just works

Cool thank you for your reply's.

What i will be doing with it is a web server for just me to host my product. (that calls back to my site to make sure there got a legal license) something i can compile/update php,mysql apache or even lighty my self thatls easy. and uses less recourse.

FreeBSD or OpenBSD, usually FBSD

If no other choice, latest Debian absolute minimal.

CentOS because WHM/cPanel comes with this package.
    Ezeelogin -
    The ultimate multiple server administration software.
    *Parallel shell *rm -rf protection *SSH logging*automated password changes*encrypted storage*
    AdMod.com -Delivering innovative web hosting solutions

CentOS, Ubuntu, Debian
    No mater, what distribution. But these three are main distributions in my servers.

As Aquaris said this is a regular question here. Anyway My vote is for CentOS.

I like centos..with the EPEL repo. Sometimes I use fedora too..
    HostWaves.com Managed Drupal e-Commerce Hosting/Web Development Service for SMB/SME/SMI.

I use gentoo Linux
    My Personal Sites:Oh !!!MIYU-GのDAYs
    http://www.1221.in
    MY LIFE IS COOL,SO IS MY VPS I WILL TELL YOU MORE ABOUT VPS

I use CentOS also.
    Learning...

CentOS on all of our servers.

I'm a CentOS fan. I would say a good 80% of our customers use CentOS, however we seem to have developed quite a large Debian following (approx 15%).

CentOS is designed for server usage, and is probably the most stable distro out there. (In my experience anyway!)
    WHSuite - Billing, Automation and Client Management Software.

Ubuntu on my computer and CentOS on my server.

Slackware. It is the only Linux distro which seems to make life easier rather than harder for people who manually edit config files.

Hi,

It depends upon your requirement. If you want to use with cpanel/WHM then go for CentOS. If you want to use without CP then go for Debian.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast