Fairly measuring bandwidth for colo customers

My network is setup with HP 29nn switches in the racks, directly connected to customer provided gear. Each of these edge switches connects back to a core switch, which is then connected to 2+ routers, which connect to my providers, I run MRTG + Cacti, and pull 95% stats on each port in the edge. If the customer has a full rack, I don't provide a switch, and just measure BW at the core. Those are easy to measure. The shared rack customers though, how can I measure ingress/egress BW, without getting all the port to pot traffic. The Switches are HP, and I see in the SNMP browser that each vlan I create for each customer looks like a trunk to snmp, but the ifOctetsIn and ifOctetsOut is always 0. Anyone have a better suggestiion to measure a customer's vlan BW vs. intra vlan traffic between the customer's own gear. I DO charge for inter vlan traffic ,as that is "real" BW, but traffic between a customer's gear is free.
    Last edited by nik martin; 06-14-2009 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Speeling in title
    Nik Martin
    nfina Technologies, Inc.
    +1.251.243.0043 x1003
    Server Hardware, Storage, and Turnkey systems for Service Providers

Trunk the vlan up to a device that is able to actually do counters on vlans ...
    Jay Sudowski // Handy Networks LLC // Co-Founder & CTO
    AS30475 - Level(3), HE, Telia, XO and Cogent. Noction optimized network.
    Offering Dedicated Server and Colocation Hosting from our SSAE 16 SOC 2, Type 2 Certified Data Center.
    Current specials here. Check them out.

Quote Originally Posted by nikko View Post
    My network is setup with HP 29nn switches in the racks, directly connected to customer provided gear. Each of these edge switches connects back to a core switch, which is then connected to 2+ routers, which connect to my providers, I run MRTG + Cacti, and pull 95% stats on each port in the edge. If the customer has a full rack, I don't provide a switch, and just measure BW at the core. Those are easy to measure. The shared rack customers though, how can I measure ingress/egress BW, without getting all the port to pot traffic. The Switches are HP, and I see in the SNMP browser that each vlan I create for each customer looks like a trunk to snmp, but the ifOctetsIn and ifOctetsOut is always 0. Anyone have a better suggestiion to measure a customer's vlan BW vs. intra vlan traffic between the customer's own gear. I DO charge for inter vlan traffic ,as that is "real" BW, but traffic between a customer's gear is free.

vlan traffic has to be measured at your routers, or wherever the point is that traffic flows IN or OUT of the vlan. The vlan snmp counters will only move when traffic passes in or out of the vlan now between machines in the vlan.

inter vlan traffic is "free" and you probably shouldn't charge for a customer talking to his own equipment.

With that said i'll remind you, you can't measure inter vlan traffic unless you monitor traffic on a per port basis but even then you have no idea whats what.
    Yellow Fiber Networks
    http://www.yellowfiber.net : Managed Solutions - Colocation - Network Services IPv4/IPv6
    Ashburn/Denver/NYC/Dallas/Chicago Markets Served zak@yellowfiber.net

Quote Originally Posted by Spudstr View Post
    vlan traffic has to be measured at your routers, or wherever the point is that traffic flows IN or OUT of the vlan.
    QFT

Vlan's are routed at layer 3 so I'm not surprised the switches report the BW as 0.

QFT??

Many lower spec switches do not support counters on layer 2 vlans or layer 3 vlans. That's more than likely the trouble here. The easiest way around this is to run the routing for the vlan on a switch that does support counters on vlans, and then poll the vlan interface for billing purposes. Traffic between servers will not be included.
    Jay Sudowski // Handy Networks LLC // Co-Founder & CTO
    AS30475 - Level(3), HE, Telia, XO and Cogent. Noction optimized network.
    Offering Dedicated Server and Colocation Hosting from our SSAE 16 SOC 2, Type 2 Certified Data Center.
    Current specials here. Check them out.