Vps or webhosting? which one is best for it?

I have a webhosting, good enough. maybe just because I don't have a lot of traffic.

One of my friends today asked me whether he needs a vps, actually I have no idea.

He is going to start a website currently, in the first year he expects 2000 to 3000 visiters per day, around 200 ips at the peak time of a day. no download, articles and images only.

Pls tell me somethng about that.

Thanks.

That sounds very doable on a shared hosting account, unless he is sharing a lot of large files.
    madgenius.com - Corp.
    Web Hosting, Cloud VPS, and Dedicated Solutions since 1998
    Offering Windows, and Linux OS's

3000 visiters per day, shared webhosting can work out?

shared would be possible. Unless you are intending to have scripts. simple static or flash websites should be sufficient.
    Jweeb Solutions
    Singapore Web Consulting & Solutions
    Web Consulting - Web Hosting - Web Design & Development and more...
    http://www.jweeb.com.sg - Making the Web Simple!

Hi,
    Shared hosting would be impossible, consider a medium-end VPS or a low-end dedicated server for that.

Quote Originally Posted by HL-Adam View Post
    Hi,
    Shared hosting would be impossible, consider a medium-end VPS or a low-end dedicated server for that.
    Impossible on a overloaded server perhaps, not saying that you as a provider overloads your servers

3000 visitors per day is 100% doable on shared hosting given that the website is fairly static (no php/basic php/not many mysql calls) and not a lot of images. A VPS could be considered if you need the additional isolation, or require a module that mosts hosts are not willing to put on their normal shared hosting environment (tomcat anyone? lol)

Quote Originally Posted by AquariusADMIN View Post
    Impossible on a overloaded server perhaps, not saying that you as a provider overloads your servers

3000 visitors per day is 100% doable on shared hosting given that the website is fairly static (no php/basic php/not many mysql calls) and not a lot of images. A VPS could be considered if you need the additional isolation, or require a module that mosts hosts are not willing to put on their normal shared hosting environment (tomcat anyone? lol)
    Thanks. I'm just saying most shared hosts would NOT prefer that, as it will probably use a lot of CPU, and good shared hosts have limits on CPU, to make the server a "shared" hosting environment.

Actually my very interactive wordpress blog/forum/gallery gets this daily.

Site Usage

Visits

Pageviews

Pages/Visit

* 31.47%
    Bounce Rate

* 00:08:45
    Avg. Time on Site

* 64.12%
    % New Visits

On shared hosting. With little load to the server.
    GetCloudHosting.com - Looking for HOT deals on cloud hosting services? We post 5 of the hottest deals every day! -> Click Here <-

wordpress only take a little server resource. If you use drupal, definitely the webhosting company will tick you out. But if you predict the visitor will grow, you should move ASAP.

You should be okay with a shared hosting plan as long as it's coming from a reliable host that doesn't oversell its shared hosting.

Any shared hosting account can handle that kind of traffic. However, if you think the site will grow in couple of months then I would suggest start looking for a good VPS provider from now. It is necessary to evaluate providers.

A VPS provides lots of benefits including security , application isolations and most imporantly scaling to a higher configuration without any downtime if the provider does provide that feature.

Also a VPS does give you lot of freedom in tweaking your application and server setting to optimize and customize the performance.
    Last edited by Odisha-Hosting; 06-15-2009 at 02:52 PM. Reason: incorrect message
    Managed Virtuozzo VPS | Reseller Hosting
    http://www.odishahosting.com [ USA Datacenter]
    http://www.odishahosting.in [ INDIA Datacetner]
    [email protected] | 1-732-253-0169 ( sales)

It's not really a matter of whether shared can handle this load. If your site is making money then move it to a vps / dedi straight away. Don't risk your business to the actions of others on a shared server.

all your posts are very knowledgeable.
    I would recommand him with shared hosting first, he may upgrade to vps after several months or one year.
    thanks.

I recommend getting a vps because it sounds like your going to be growing fast.