cpanel site move strange resolving problem

Hi,

I moved a site between two cpanel server both of which are mine. The servers are ns1 and ns2. I moved the site from ns1 to ns2 2 days ago at which point the DNS had not been set to my servers yet. Last night the customer updated their DNS and pointed it to my servers. Some people are seeing the site on ns1 (just a temp page right now) and some on ns2. I re-sync'd the nameservers and did a DNS cleanup. I checked the entries on both server manually in /var/named/domain.org.db and they both are set to the correct IP address. Any idea why some people would still see the site resolving to ns1 at this point?

running host on the domain name from command line shows the correct IP as well.. strange that it would ever find ns1 at this point?

Cheers,
    TR

This is because of the DNS used by them during openning the site. Most people use their ISP's DNS. Only when the DNS of their ISP updates its record, the new location of the site will be reached.

It can be propagation or caching, but it can also be due to an error in the dns zone. Check the domain at a place like dnsreport and make sure it passes all tests. There may be a mismatch in the zone, nameservers, A records., etc that is causing it to still point to the old server.
    PlatinumServerManagement (also known as PSM)
    The OLDEST and LARGEST and MOST TRUSTED server management provider in the USA, with 15+ employees and growing!
    Providing quality support for OVER 18 years! Currently supporting over 3,000+ servers monthly!

www.PlatinumServerManagement.com Proud member of the NJ BBB & Chamber of Commerce & Authorized cPanel Partner.

Hi,

Thanks for the input, however it seems that Bind needed a restart to read the updated DB file. I have never had to restart Bind to make it see an update, but for some reason this time I needed to. It must have had something to do with using the cpanel account move function which did update the DNS records, however bind seemed to not recognize that change until restart.. ugh.

Thanks!