hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Web Hosting : Internetseer a scam?

Forum Jump

Internetseer a scam?

Reply Post New Thread In Web Hosting Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old
Disabled

Internetseer a scam?

Hey hosting users and hosts - if you've been online more than a couple months then chances are you've gotten a spam from internetseer.com claiming that your web site was down.

Well it would appear they are a total scam as we recently received a few emails from them ourselves saying they could not access our web site, and even went so far as stating what error it was they received.

We have checked our log files and there have been NO errors what so ever to support their claim.

These jerks are making hosts look bad by telling their customers their site was down when in truth they have NO IDEA.

I'm curious - hosts, what would you do if one of your competitors just started emailing your clients saying "their web site was down" with nothing to back it up?

Sponsored Links
Old
Disabled

If you are so concerned about third party companies spamming your customers about their sites being offline, why don't you put out a notice to customers explaining the situation and filter internetseer.com emails before they're delivered?

Old
Disabled

uhh - because I don't have hosting customers. I just find it BS that they tell me my server went down when it did not go down.

Sponsored Links
Old
Disabled

Just filter it like every other piece of spam and call it a day.

Old
Web Hosting Master

also, if you notice in the internetseer emails you get, they advertise their hosting services.

total scam.

Old
Disabled

Yup - i know you are right cipher. I should not let anyone's spam get to me, otherwise I'm gonna live a short life.

Old
Web Hosting Guru

InternetSeer is evil. We have at least one client who uses their services for monitoring. There have been a few occasions when we have received a letter informing us of our downtime from this client, he always quotes the internetseer report. With the last one he received, we had rebooted the server.. the report was that we had over an hour and a half of downtime! Try explaining this to a mad client, of course internetseer IS accurate. I don't know where they come up with these reports, or how 3-5 minutes of actual downtime turns into an hour an half according to them. I wouldn't recommend this service to anyone, as far as I'm concerned it's a scam.

Old
ex-Aussie

I had an e-mail from them quite a while back telling me our site was down. I checked - not a problem. I then ran a trace to their domain and noticed things were pretty spotty at their end. I just figured they couldn't see our site because of problems at their end.

Greg Moore

Old
Disabled

Hmmm - that gives me an idea Tallon. I'm going to set up a site and subscribe to the service to test their accuracy. Let's find out if this is truly a monitoring service at all, or just a marketing service in sheeps clothing.

Old
Web Hosting Evangelist

Quote:
Originally posted by Tallon
I don't know where they come up with these reports, or how 3-5 minutes of actual downtime turns into an hour an half according to them.
It's because InternetSeer reports in 15 minutes increments so if the site was down when InternetSeer was checking for uptime it will report 1 instance of a 15 min. downtime block. Say you come back online for 12 minutes then you have to reboot again during another InterneetSeer check then it will report another 15 min. downtime block. It's all a timing issue.

Instantly deploy and scale your your apps with no code changes.

Old
Web Hosting Guru

If that's how it works, then the most that it should have reported would be 29 minutes rather than 1.5 hours.

Old
WHT Addict

InternetSeer

We have a client that uses their service and complained that the site was down, occasionally. Well the problem was that that client was on a firewall protected server. The firewall was blocking some of the port scanning that Internetseer does.

Old
Junior Guru Wannabe

InternetSeer reports in 1 hour increments, not 15 minute increments.

Old
Web Hosting Guru

Thanks Steve, I went and checked on it and you're correct. Thanks for the information, that helps to explain a lot.

Old
Disabled

Everyone should send an email to Chuck Lively, their sales contact at chuck.lively@internetseer.com and tell him you noticed his web site was down.

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Report Identifies Suspicious Bot that Could Help Explain Mt. Gox Bitcoin Scandal Web Hosting News 2014-05-27 09:39:51
Buyer Beware: Scammers Trick Mobile Users into Buying Fake Antivirus Apps Web Hosting News 2014-05-16 17:07:28
This Company is Reminding You to Renew Your Domain, But It's Not Your Registrar Blog 2014-03-13 14:00:42
Is the .XXX Domain the Playbook for a New Generic TLD Registry? Web Hosting News 2014-05-09 12:40:44
Fake Web Hosting Invoices Issued in BC, Canada Fraud Case Web Hosting News 2012-11-15 10:00:39