MDDhosting vs VectorLevel

ive read that these two hosts are really of some quality despite being small companies, so which one would you vote for, and why? share your views,

I would vote mddhosting. mike the owner is the nicest guy I have ever talk to. and they have shared then semi dedicated then vps so its easy to upgrade everything.
    Leader of the new anti sig spamming club.

Quote Originally Posted by darkeden View Post
    I would vote mddhosting. mike the owner is the nicest guy I have ever talk to. and they have shared then semi dedicated then vps so its easy to upgrade everything.
    Actually if I am not mistaken MDD had stopped their VPS range due to the HyperVM fiasco. I do agree that Mike is a great guy.
    Aspiration Hosting [US UK SG AU] - Cloud Web Hosting | Managed Cloud Server
    LiteMage / LiteSpeed Cache for Magento, WordPress, Joomla, Drupal & XenForo

Web Development Support Unmetered Bandwidth Aspiration CDN Magento Optimized

Quote Originally Posted by JLHC View Post
    Actually if I am not mistaken MDD had stopped their VPS range due to the HyperVM fiasco. I do agree that Mike is a great guy.
    i can go to the vps plans and even order

From what I have read in the forums here, both provide very good services and you can consider going for one which suits best for your requirements and budget. For quick review, you can use search feature to search for customer reviews of both the companies here:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/search.php

- Rick
    ██ Softsys Hosting ██ - 9 Years In Business - 24/7 In-House Support - Enterprise DDoS Protection Available!

Enterprise Dedicated Servers - WHT Exclusive Windows & Linux VPS (US/UK/Singapore) - Failover Ready Cloud VM's

I've chatted back and forth with Orien from VectorLevel and followed quite a few of his posts here at WHT and he seems like a pretty stand-up guy. VL may not offer *huge* resources, in terms of what seems to be industry standard, but I can pretty much guarantee you'll get exactly what you pay for .

I don't have experience with either company, this is just based on my past and current experience with the owner of VL.

I second this. Mike is always there incase I happen to make one of our poor servers kernels panic. Thank you Mike, going above and beyond .

I recommend mddhosting.

Quote Originally Posted by AquariusADMIN View Post
    I second this. Mike is always there incase I happen to make one of our poor servers kernels panic. Thank you Mike, going above and beyond .

I recommend mddhosting.
    Agreed with Ryan. Both are great guys, but I've noticed Mike to be a bit more friendly and be online more to chat. MDD!

Quote Originally Posted by GCM View Post
    Agreed with Ryan. Both are great guys, but I've noticed Mike to be a bit more friendly and be online more to chat. MDD!
    I'll vote the same. I don't really see you going wrong with either company though.
    Imeanwebhosting.com - Shared cpanel hosting, 99.9% uptime.
    10 min average ticket responses, softaculous, rvsitebuilder, and more!
    Reliable, affordable shared hosting. I Mean Web Hosting!

Just laying out some differences

MDDhosting = Cpanel, 30% more expensive, more storage & bandwidth, upgrade options to semi-dedicated dedicated etc

Vectorlevel = Directadmin, cheaper , less storage & bandwidth, no upgrade options

I would go for whichever is cheaper (for your hosting needs) as both of them seem to be in the same ballpark in terms of quality. The other thing I noticed is that mddhosting's server load is significantly higher than vectorlevel's on average, though they may be using a much more powerful server.

Well this is what is stated by Mike in this post:-
    http://www.webhostingboard.net/showthread.php?t=530

They may have forgotten to remove the order page for their VPS plans but I believe it should be removed soon.
    Aspiration Hosting [US UK SG AU] - Cloud Web Hosting | Managed Cloud Server
    LiteMage / LiteSpeed Cache for Magento, WordPress, Joomla, Drupal & XenForo

Web Development Support Unmetered Bandwidth Aspiration CDN Magento Optimized

The other thing I noticed is that mddhosting's server load is significantly higher than vectorlevel's on average
    Where do you see this info? Are/were you a customer?

Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc View Post
    From their respective server status pages. I won't link them but you can find it easily if you visit their site.
    Before I was looking for a new host, and was constantly checking their server loads throughout the day.

That said, as long as the sites load fine, the server load is a moot point.

and was constantly checking their server loads throughout the day.
    You're thorough I see. Did Vectorlevel have some other type of stats? I see uptime records but not server load stuff.
    Last edited by ldcdc; 06-14-2009 at 10:26 AM.

You can't go wrong with either of these hosts - it's not about who is the most active in the community but rather what service levels they achieve.

I don't see a lot of MediaLayer posts here, but they are still great to choose.

I would recommend you contact them and see how professional they are.
    http://www.rskeens.com
    A casual blog mainly about the web hosting industry

seems like MDD would me my choice. any last opinions before i purchase my hosting plan with them? thanks.

another vote for MDDHosting here from a present customer.

Yes, we do need to disable that for the time being. We are not stopping VPSs indefinitely however we are no longer comfortable with HyperVM - if such a major issue is going to be ignored until it causes an un-recoverable problem for a provider then I don't feel we can trust in their ability to keep their control panel secure and trouble free. I could handle the occasional security issue being patched quickly but not one being reported a month or more before it causes an issue and it not being fixed until after it actually causes an issue. You can do research on this.

We are working with all of our VPS clients to either move them to another product (such as sharing a dedicated server with other clients) or even going so far as to helping in whatever way we can to move them to another provider.

Quote Originally Posted by JLHC View Post
    Well this is what is stated by Mike in this post:-
    http://www.webhostingboard.net/showthread.php?t=530

They may have forgotten to remove the order page for their VPS plans but I believe it should be removed soon.
    It's not forgotten, it's definitely on the to-do list.

Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc View Post
    We make our server information available at http://www.mddhosting.com/support/serverstatus.php for anybody to see as we have nothing to hide. During peak times our shared/reseller servers usually bounce between 1 and 2 and our semi-dedicated is usually between 2 and 4 however the service is still ultra-responsive and speedy as we don't load our servers based upon load by by performance. We actually just ordered a new shared/reseller server and moved some accounts off of the previous one to insure that we maintain a high level of performance.

Orien is a great guy and VectorLevel would certainly take care of you as well - ultimately you should do what *you* feel is best as there is no best hosting company but perhaps one that is best to fit your needs.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    Yes, we do need to disable that for the time being. We are not stopping VPSs indefinitely however we are no longer comfortable with HyperVM - if such a major issue is going to be ignored until it causes an un-recoverable problem for a provider then I don't feel we can trust in their ability to keep their control panel secure and trouble free. I could handle the occasional security issue being patched quickly but not one being reported a month or more before it causes an issue and it not being fixed until after it actually causes an issue. You can do research on this.

We are working with all of our VPS clients to either move them to another product (such as sharing a dedicated server with other clients) or even going so far as to helping in whatever way we can to move them to another provider.
    have you guys thought about giving people links to different hypervm versions and or doing manual reloads and reboots for people on a monthly limit of some sort?

HyperVM is actually what manages the Virtual Machines (VPSs) on the server and if it is vulnerable like it was then it will give full and total access to the attacker on the server. The attacker very well could have exploited this by creating their own VPSs on the nodes or doing many other bad things but they opted to just wipe data from the servers.

We run R1Soft backups on our VPS nodes so if an attacker did get in and wipe the server or do other damage we would very well have been able to rebuild the data but we would prefer to avoid this type of issue all together. It is truly sad that the leading control panel for virtual private servers among budget providers would experience such a major issue.

What it simply comes down to is that I wouldn't trust my own data on a HyperVM server and thus I won't put anybody else's data at risk even if it would benefit us to continue offering HyperVM VPSs. We are currently developing an in-house VPS control panel and we hope to begin offering Virtual Private Servers once again within 2 to 4 weeks.

There are reports that the issue that was at the root of the exploit and allowed it to happen had been reported more than a month before what happend at fsckVPS, vaserv, and a2b2 however LxLabs failed to take the issue seriously and patch their software.

Every software has exploits. The failure to fix them is where the issue lies.
    hostingDifferent---We're hostingDifferent.
    Premium, Managed and DIY WordPress hosting DONE RIGHT.
    Find out what SERVICE really means!--We're hostingDifferent.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    HyperVM is actually what manages the Virtual Machines (VPSs) on the server and if it is vulnerable like it was then it will give full and total access to the attacker on the server. The attacker very well could have exploited this by creating their own VPSs on the nodes or doing many other bad things but they opted to just wipe data from the servers.

We run R1Soft backups on our VPS nodes so if an attacker did get in and wipe the server or do other damage we would very well have been able to rebuild the data but we would prefer to avoid this type of issue all together. It is truly sad that the leading control panel for virtual private servers among budget providers would experience such a major issue.

What it simply comes down to is that I wouldn't trust my own data on a HyperVM server and thus I won't put anybody else's data at risk even if it would benefit us to continue offering HyperVM VPSs. We are currently developing an in-house VPS control panel and we hope to begin offering Virtual Private Servers once again within 2 to 4 weeks.

There are reports that the issue that was at the root of the exploit and allowed it to happen had been reported more than a month before what happend at fsckVPS, vaserv, and a2b2 however LxLabs failed to take the issue seriously and patch their software.
    glad to see your going to use a in house control panel. other companys are doing this also. maybe you could sell licenses to other companys and be the new hypervm lol

Quote Originally Posted by GCM View Post
    I've known them both for quite a whole and I think they're both nice guys. I really can't see one of them being any more friendly than the other.

glad to see your going to use a in house control panel. other companys are doing this also. maybe you could sell licenses to other companys and be the new hypervm lol
    We provide hosting, we don't really have an interest in licensing software at this point however it is something that is conceivable in the future although it would be under a different brand