Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My own VPS?

My own VPS?

Okay so i have a computer i am not using, could it be used as a VPS?

Specs:

110GB Hard Drive
    Windows XP 32 bit, SP3
    1 GB RAM

**Sorry for the dumb question, i am just wondering.**

Also how would i aquire CentOS 5?

you would not be able to get much performance out of it. what exactly do you plan on doing. for 10 dollars a month you could get the same specs besides hardrive
    Leader of the new anti sig spamming club.

A VPS is essentially just a server with virtualization software running on the host OS. With only 1 GB of RAM, I would recommend just building your own dedicated server (i.e. forget running multiple OS's concurrently on the box).

Where are you going to host this server? Home? Work? Co-location? If you intend to do it at home, be sure you understand your ISPs TOS -- many will prohibit you from running certain types of servers (they may even block important ports on their firewall) and you will almost always not be permitted to sell services from servers hosted on your ISP account (unless you subscribe to a business account). If you run it from your business or co-location, this is not an issue.

While I have run servers like this at home for testing, I generally prefer to use an existing VPS/Dedicated server provider because:

1) The VPS/box is usually in a data center with tons of bandwidth from various providers

2) They worry about power redundancy -- UPS, generators, etc.

3) They ensure temperature control

4) They replace hardware when it fails

5) It's a ton cheaper to subscribe to their service than it is to upgrade my residential internet account to a business account (which is still magnitudes slower than what the data center offers)

So basically, if you're doing it for personal reasons for fun/nothing important, give it whirl.

For all other reasons, I recommend letting the pros help you.

And C5 is hxxp://mirror.centos.org/centos/5/isos/

@Darkeden: I am planning on getting a VPS.

@zekez: Thanks for the info. I was just wondering what it would take to run my own server. Also is centOS 5 free?

Why not just install CentOS on the computer and run it as a LAMP box?

You COULD get VMWare Server, it is free.
    madgenius.com - Corp.
    Web Hosting, Cloud VPS, and Dedicated Solutions since 1998
    Offering Windows, and Linux OS's

Quote Originally Posted by archey View Post
    Also is centOS 5 free?
    Yes, it is free. The primary site for Centos is centos.org -- it or Google can easily answer questions you have about it.

Good luck!

You can use your personal computer as VPS but for me it would be not a good idea in case you are using it for some profesional use.

Quote Originally Posted by vivithemage View Post
    Why not just install CentOS on the computer and run it as a LAMP box?

You COULD get VMWare Server, it is free.
    LAMP Box, VMWare?

Oh and yeah, i am looking to learn linux VPS, as i plan on running my own web hosting company later on.

Also when i go to mirror.centos.org/centos/5/isos/ which folder do i navigate into, then while link do i click?
    Last edited by archey; 06-14-2009 at 12:43 AM.

Why do you want to turn such a un-powerful machine into a virtual private server? Why not just install CentOS 5.3 on it and just run it as a stand alone. No need to turn it into a VPS. You can run CentOS without turning the computer into a virtual machine node.

I'd recommend if you do attempt turning it into a VPS node, don't offer to host anyone on it. Use it solely for testing purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by AquariusADMIN View Post
    Why do you want to turn such a un-powerful machine into a virtual private server? Why not just install CentOS 5.3 on it and just run it as a stand alone. No need to turn it into a VPS. You can run CentOS without turning the computer into a virtual machine node.

I'd recommend if you do attempt turning it into a VPS node, don't offer to host anyone on it. Use it solely for testing purposes.
    I meant like a server type thing, but i was just wondering if it would be able to.

I guess a better question would be why?
    What type of web host do you plan to be later?
    You don't turn a server into a VPS, you turn a server into a VPS node for the purpose of hosting multiple VPS on one server. I guess you could host only one VPS on a server and use it for testing.. This would of course allow you to rebuild the server much quicker than popping in that linux disc
    | | i write code

I plan on using a VPS for Web Hosting for my clients i will design/develop for.

I plan on using a VPS for Web Hosting for my clients i will design/develop for.
    Ok, so you're going to offer VPS hosting, or you're going to use a VPS to offer shared hosting?
    | | i write code

I wouldn't suggest you to get Windows VPS. It would be more expensive and you will need more resources. Otherwise your old server could host 2 VPS accounts but it will cost you more on maintenance and licenses... unless you would use any free version on Windows server + hyper-v... but I doubt you would get one.
    Host Color Cloud Servers & Dedicated Hosting & European Infrastructure Hosting
    U.S. Data center 90 miles from Chicago
    Network ★ AS46873 Level 3, Cogent, Hurricane Electric, Retn.net, Midwest Peering
    24/7 Support 1-574-367-2393; Skype: HostColor

Quote Originally Posted by siforek View Post
    Ok, so you're going to offer VPS hosting, or you're going to use a VPS to offer shared hosting?
    Shared hosting

Also vivithemage what is VMWare, and LAMP box?

Shared hosting

Also vivithemage what is VMWare, and LAMP box?
    Ok, here's my suggestion.. Install CentOS on that PC you've got. No windows at all! Just CentOS, then look into control panels that suite your needs.. Maybe install Webmin and Virtualmin and play withv them a bit, get to know what you're doing.. Trust me, if you don't vknow what a lamp box is you have a long way to go before you can charge people for your services. Don't worry, we've all been there before at some point

If after you've sucessfully managed your own server and have a good understanding of how things work you want to sell web hosting I'd suggest purchasing a VPS(check the offers forum).. You can pay anywhere from $10 to $100/month just depending on your needs. cPanel will run you $10-15/month for a VPS and will make your life much easier and provide your customers with many features they'll thank you for.

Or you can just skip all that and get a reseller account from someone.. This will allow you to offer hosting and have some level of control but not enough that you can screw up the server

If you're serious about this you need a business plan, but that's a different topic entirely. Best of luck!
    | | i write code

Ok, here's my suggestion.. Install CentOS on that PC you've got. No windows at all! Just CentOS, then look into control panels that suite your needs.. Maybe install Webmin and Virtualmin and play withv them a bit, get to know what you're doing.. Trust me, if you don't vknow what a lamp box is you have a long way to go before you can charge people for your services. Don't worry, we've all been there before at some point

If after you've sucessfully managed your own server and have a good understanding of how things work you want to sell web hosting I'd suggest purchasing a VPS(check the offers forum).. You can pay anywhere from $10 to $100/month just depending on your needs. cPanel will run you $10-15/month for a VPS and will make your life much easier and provide your customers with many features they'll thank you for.

Or you can just skip all that and get a reseller account from someone.. This will allow you to offer hosting and have some level of control but not enough that you can screw up the server

If you're serious about this you need a business plan, but that's a different topic entirely. Best of luck!
    Yeah, I'm aware that i don't know alot. 'Tis why i want to have a free, low end VPS to elarn on, not the one i was asking about. Would be awesome if someone could give me one free.

Thanks for the tips though.

Set up a personal computer of your own to run Linux or one of the BSD's such as FreeBSD.

That's "free". Don't have a spare? Dedicate your primary computer to the task - unload Windows and run *niux all the time [1]. You'll learn a ton in the process and develop useful, marketable, skills.

Don't want to go there? Why? Lazy? Games won't play on it? Fear of the unknown?

Then you are not properly motivated.

Follow that path and you'll end up like so many of the me-too barely know enough to get by folks who are already in a huge line up ahead of you selling me-too barely enough to get buy services.

Why bother?

[1] Or find an old clunker to learn on. You can find one free on Craigslist any day of the week.
    “Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under
    considerable economic stress at this period in history.”

Quote Originally Posted by mwatkins View Post
    Set up a personal computer of your own to run Linux or one of the BSD's such as FreeBSD.

That's "free". Don't have a spare? Dedicate your primary computer to the task - unload Windows and run *niux all the time [1]. You'll learn a ton in the process and develop useful, marketable, skills.

Don't want to go there? Why? Lazy? Games won't play on it? Fear of the unknown?

Then you are not properly motivated.

Follow that path and you'll end up like so many of the me-too barely know enough to get by folks who are already in a huge line up ahead of you selling me-too barely enough to get buy services.

Why bother?

[1] Or find an old clunker to learn on. You can find one free on Craigslist any day of the week.
    Have you read the other posts?

I will install CentOS on my old computer,or try and get a realy low end free VPS, and also, at the link for CentOS, which folder do i navigate to download it, then which link.

Also how do i get openVZ?

Have you read the other posts?

I will install CentOS on my old computer,or try and get a realy low end free VPS, and also, at the link for CentOS, which folder do i navigate to download it, then which link.

Also how do i get openVZ?
    I find it easiest to download centOS via bit torrent. As for openVZ: http://wiki.openvz.org/Quick_installation
    | | i write code

Of if you want an easier way, allow me to suggest debian over centos

download the iso

http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/re...-i386-CD-1.iso

burn to a cd, boot and install, and then follow this tutorial:

http://www.howtoforge.com/installing...an-lenny-amd64

and very quickly and easily you'll have a full-blown debian openvz platform.

(i'm not trying to bring up the old red hat vs debian debate, but there are other options you might consider).
    RAM Host -- Premium & Budget Linux Hosting From The USA & EU
    █ Featuring Powerful cPanel CloudLinux Shared Hosting
    █ & Cheap Premium Virtual Dedicated Servers
    Follow us on Twitter

install CentOS on the hardware...
    madgenius.com - Corp.
    Web Hosting, Cloud VPS, and Dedicated Solutions since 1998
    Offering Windows, and Linux OS's

Quote Originally Posted by vivithemage View Post
    install CentOS on the hardware...
    and what is the point of saying that? sig spam?

it is wise to give the op all possible alternatives and let him decide what is best.

I said i didn't want a rpm vs deb or similar debate, but if you insist...i think red hat systems haven't got any better since last century (except of course for "yum" - and i'll take aptitude over yum anyday

The only thing centos has going for it is all the pre-installed software - and if the op wants to run a vps box on low end hardware like that, then he will need to remove all that extra fluff centos brings pre-installed - and i don't think doing so will be easy.

all the centos fluff consumes 150 mb ram just on it's own - outragious.
    Follow us on Twitter

I find it easiest to download centOS via bit torrent. As for openVZ: http://wiki.openvz.org/Quick_installation
    Isn't that illegal? BTW i bookmarked that link, i'll take a look.

Again, which folder/links do i click?
    and how big is centOS?

@Ramnet: How would i uninstall all this "fluff"?

Isn't that illegal? BTW i bookmarked that link, i'll take a look.

Again, which folder/links do i click?
    and how big is centOS?

@Ramnet: How would i uninstall all this "fluff"?
    no it's not illegal to use bittorrent - people think it is because it's used to download lot's of illegal stuff - but using bittorrent to download legal stuff is well...legal!

as for all the fluff, it comes with httpd, a mail server (postfix i think), and a few other heavy things. Being rusty on rpm distros i could only tell you yum uninstall httpd (replace uninstall with remove if that doesn't work). that would be a good start.

as for downloading...i think you need several cd images to install centos (2 or 3 - debian only needs one to get a base system up so i don't remember)

perhaps some of the centos promoters can tell you how to uninstall the fluff - surely someone knows how that mess works

people like to flock to centos because of red hat and cpanel, but that is not a good enough reason i think.
    Last edited by ramnet; 06-14-2009 at 06:36 PM.
    Follow us on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by ramnet View Post
    no it's not illegal to use bittorrent - people think it is because it's used to download lot's of illegal stuff - but using bittorrent to download legal stuff is well...legal!

as for all the fluff, it comes with httpd, a mail server (postfix i think), and a few other heavy things. Being rusty on rpm distros i could only tell you yum uninstall httpd (replace uninstall with remove if that doesn't work). that would be a good start.

perhaps some of the centos promoters can tell you how that mess works
    Okay thanks, Do you know where to ge bittorrent, and where to get centos with bittorrent? also do you know how big of a download is it?

PM me if you have to

after looking around centos.org it looks like they have a netinstall image

just download and burn this:

http://mirrors.xmission.com/centos/5...netinstall.iso

and it will download all the stuff it needs during the installation.
    Follow us on Twitter

after looking around centos.org it looks like they have a netinstall image

just download and burn this:

http://mirrors.xmission.com/centos/5...netinstall.iso

and it will download all the stuff it needs during the installation.

Okay bookmarked that. Now after i burn it, how would i install it on my old computer?

Okay bookmarked that. Now after i burn it, how would i install it on my old computer?
    just pop in into the cd drive and reboot.

if that doesn't work you'll need to enter bios/cmos and change the boot order so the cdrom boots b4 the hard disk.

there are plenty of centos install tutorials around the web - search for them!

we're entering ultra n00b territory now so i'm off.
    Follow us on Twitter

just pop in into the cd drive and reboot.

if that doesn't work you'll need to enter bios/cmos and change the boot order so the cdrom boots b4 the hard disk.

there are plenty of centos install tutorials around the web - search for them!

Lol, i know that i ahve to put it in, maybe i wasn't clear.

I have windows XP on the old computer, should i take that+all the other file/user accounts off, then pop in the disk?

Lol, i know that i ahve to put it in, maybe i wasn't clear.

I have windows XP on the old computer, should i take that+all the other file/user accounts off, then pop in the disk?
    of course!!! if you have anything on your computer now that you still want to keep back it up now!

when you install a new os all your old files on that computer will be gone! forever!
    Follow us on Twitter

of course!!! if you have anything on your computer now that you still want to keep back it up now!

when you install a new os all your old files on that computer will be gone! forever!
    Okay I see, i thought i would have to manually wipe that computer, and i'm pretty sure i don't have any files on it that i would need ot backup, ill take a look though.

Yeah, the net install works well too, just takes a bit longer depending on packages.

As far as Debvian vs CentOS, that's a completely separate discussion, and while they both have their pros/cons, I don't think the OP is in a position to seri9ously understand the differences and which is best for him. Think he's just trying to get something that works for the moment
    | | i write code

haha! Yeah not to be rude, but I think the OP is better off taking what we've given him at this point and using google to fill the rest of the gaps..
    | | i write code

haha! Yeah not to be rude, but I think the OP is better off taking what we've given him at this point and using google to fill the rest of the gaps..
    Yes.. Well i am a noob so some point with some things, aren't we all?

Yes.. Well i am a noob so some point with some things, aren't we all?
    We all are or have been. Although over the years I've learned much on forums google is your best friend
    | | i write code

We all are or have been. Although over the years I've learned much on forums google is your best friend
    Yeah i know, i google alot of things.

Okay I see, i thought i would have to manually wipe that computer, and i'm pretty sure i don't have any files on it that i would need ot backup, ill take a look though.
    you could always partition your hardrive and do a dual boot with xp and centos
    Leader of the new anti sig spamming club.

Quote Originally Posted by darkeden View Post
    you could always partition your hardrive and do a dual boot with xp and centos
    Yeah, just have to figure out how to make another partition. I won't be using this for a server, since my bro wants to use it to play wow, but ill put linux on one partition, and XP on the other, just gotta do a fresh re-install of XP.

But again, i ask:
    at hxxp://mirror.centos.org/centos/5/isos/ which folder do i go into? i386 or x86_64 then which link do i click to download?

Yeah, just have to figure out how to make another partition. I won't be using this for a server, since my bro wants to use it to play wow, but ill put linux on one partition, and XP on the other, just gotta do a fresh re-install of XP.

But again, i ask:
    at hxxp://mirror.centos.org/centos/5/isos/ which folder do i go into? i386 or x86_64 then which link do i click to download?
    Depends on what your CPU supports: 32/64bit?
    | | i write code

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast