Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 64
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    650

    Question Rackster.com? Any reviews?

    I was looking around at DataCenterMap.com and I found rackster.com for colocation.

    I am just wondering, has anyone here ever used them or read reviews of them before?
    Tailored VPS offers fully customizable VPS Hosting
    Powered by OpenVZ | Servers located in the USA | 99.9% Uptime

  2. #2
    They're new but pretty solid. They have good investors and competent management. Network includes Bell Canada and Cogent with some other upstreams coming online soon (6-month horizon). Good cooling, Cisco-based routing environment... I don't know what you need to know exactly I'd suggest you put in a call to them.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    650
    I think I will give them a call tomorrow. Does anyone else have any other reviews of them?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    80

    Caution about Rackster

    Quote Originally Posted by WH-Coach View Post
    They're new but pretty solid. They have good investors and competent management. Network includes Bell Canada and Cogent with some other upstreams coming online soon (6-month horizon). Good cooling, Cisco-based routing environment... I don't know what you need to know exactly I'd suggest you put in a call to them.
    Rackster has some serious ongoing legal issues before the courts, mainly over ownership and control. One group of investors is seeking to possibly liquidate the company. You can imagine the nightmare scenario of having data and hardware at a co-location facility that may liquidate at any time.

    In a nutshell, the short-term furture of Rackster is completely uncertain, and the long term is not even worth speculating about. The best way to describe its current status is "legal limbo."

    For more details search BC Court Services Online or Canlii (keywork rackster).

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    650
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff_tanks View Post
    Rackster has some serious ongoing legal issues before the courts, mainly over ownership and control. One group of investors is seeking to possibly liquidate the company. You can imagine the nightmare scenario of having data and hardware at a co-location facility that may liquidate at any time.

    In a nutshell, the short-term furture of Rackster is completely uncertain, and the long term is not even worth speculating about. The best way to describe its current status is "legal limbo."

    For more details search BC Court Services Online or Canlii (keywork rackster).
    Thanks for the info. Just looked them up on Canlii and I will not be going with them until they get this cleared up.

    http://www.canlii.org/en/bc/bcsc/doc...08bcsc267.html

    Thanks again.
    Tailored VPS offers fully customizable VPS Hosting
    Powered by OpenVZ | Servers located in the USA | 99.9% Uptime

  6. #6
    Wow, that is epic. I am especially flabbergasted at sections [5] and [18]

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Ashburn VA, San Diego CA
    Posts
    4,484
    Not good...keep shopping.
    Fast Serv Networks, LLC | AS29889 | Fully Managed Cloud, Streaming, Dedicated Servers, Colo by-the-U
    Ashburn VA + San Diego CA Datacenters

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    238
    That CanLII doc is dated 03 March 2008. Is Rackster still occupying the property 15 months later ?

    Landlord/Tenant disputes happen. Some Landlords like to play games and when you catch them, they (landlords) are not very forgiving. The fun starts when you, as the tenant, have to deal with their cheap and very inexperienced lawyer.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by AHN-Jay View Post
    Thanks for the info. Just looked them up on Canlii and I will not be going with them until they get this cleared up.

    ...

    Thanks again.
    That is not the case I was referring to, see "O’Brien v. Tarasenko" on Canlii. Just use keyword "rackster" and it should pop right up (docket #78673). It appears there are two warring groups trying to take over the company, and if neither side is victorious it means liquidation city here we come...

  10. #10
    interesting - jeff_tanks...new user..two posts...both in this thread....

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    80
    WH-Coach: what I find interesting is that you made a favourable comment about this company yet you seem to be unaware of the serious legal difficulties the company is under. The problems are serious enough as to potentially destroy it.

    Yes, I have only made two posts... so what? I came across this forum and decided I had some relevant information to post so I registered and did, for the benefit of "AHN-Jay". I researched this company as a potential candidate to host a server cluster and what I learned about their legal issues eliminated them pretty quickly.

    A good bit of advice to anyone... if somebody is negative about an outfit and you don't think it's deserved or credible then go do your own research...

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    650
    I found the case you were referring to.
    http://www.canlii.org/en/bc/bcsc/doc...8bcsc1294.html

    I will definitely not be going with them now. Time to keep looking...
    Tailored VPS offers fully customizable VPS Hosting
    Powered by OpenVZ | Servers located in the USA | 99.9% Uptime

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Posts
    2,564
    Quote Originally Posted by WH-Coach View Post
    interesting - jeff_tanks...new user..two posts...both in this thread....
    Why not evaluate what he has to say first, before writing him off because he doesn't have a lot of posts?

    As far as can be seen, the points he has made have been valid. If you have evidence of the contrary, feel free to contribute it.

    Otherwise, if you have nothing to add to the discussion, refrain from commenting rather than denigrating others who actually have something to offer.
    ASTUTE HOSTING: Advanced, customized, and scalable solutions with AS54527 Premium Canadian Optimized Network
    MicroServers.io: Enterprise Dedicated Hardware with IPMI at VPS-like Prices with AS63213 Affordable Bandwidth in Canada and beyond
    Dedicated Hosting, Colo, Bandwidth, and Fiber out of Vancouver, Seattle, LA, Toronto, NYC, Miami, and London

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Austin Tx
    Posts
    1,990
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff_tanks View Post
    WH-Coach: what I find interesting is that you made a favourable comment about this company yet you seem to be unaware of the serious legal difficulties the company is under. The problems are serious enough as to potentially destroy it.

    Yes, I have only made two posts... so what? I came across this forum and decided I had some relevant information to post so I registered and did, for the benefit of "AHN-Jay". I researched this company as a potential candidate to host a server cluster and what I learned about their legal issues eliminated them pretty quickly.

    A good bit of advice to anyone... if somebody is negative about an outfit and you don't think it's deserved or credible then go do your own research...
    I agree, new poster or not, your info could very well have saved OP a waking nightmare.

    If anything, I would look slyward at WH-Coach's post painting them as very "solid". Not sure what the point of trying to call *you* out is. Given the documented legal facts concerning the company, I would say his post was very misleading, and taking into account the level of knowledge displayed about the company and equipment, one can only speculate....
    This is the best signature in the world....Tribute!
    (It is not the best signature in the world, no. This is just a tribute)

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Ashburn VA, San Diego CA
    Posts
    4,484
    Quote Originally Posted by mugo View Post
    I agree, new poster or not, your info could very well have saved OP a waking nightmare.

    If anything, I would look slyward at WH-Coach's post painting them as very "solid". Not sure what the point of trying to call *you* out is. Given the documented legal facts concerning the company, I would say his post was very misleading, and taking into account the level of knowledge displayed about the company and equipment, one can only speculate....
    I was wondering the same thing...
    Fast Serv Networks, LLC | AS29889 | Fully Managed Cloud, Streaming, Dedicated Servers, Colo by-the-U
    Ashburn VA + San Diego CA Datacenters

  16. #16
    Well, for one I'm a customer, I'm aware of the legal situation, and it frankly doesn't concern me because win or lose either side plans to continue operating the facility (not liquidate it as jeff_tanks says). A read of the documentation makes it clear that the battle is about ownership and falls into the space of securities law.

    It's not really my place to bring all their dirty laundry to light so I didn't do it. I think people would be very surprised how many companies have skeletons like this hiding in their closets.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by WH-Coach View Post
    Well, for one I'm a customer, I'm aware of the legal situation, and it frankly doesn't concern me because win or lose either side plans to continue operating the facility (not liquidate it as jeff_tanks says). A read of the documentation makes it clear that the battle is about ownership and falls into the space of securities law.

    It's not really my place to bring all their dirty laundry to light so I didn't do it. I think people would be very surprised how many companies have skeletons like this hiding in their closets.
    You can get the Statement of Claim for this case via BC Court Services Online for $6. Look under item 'M' where the plaintiff seeks a court order to dissolve and liquidate the company in the event one side fails to take over the other sides shares.

    I don't think $6 is much to spend to get the "dirty laundry", especially when considering a facility to host $20K+ worth of hardware...

    Why do you keep making such poorly informed comments, WH-Coach?

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Austin Tx
    Posts
    1,990
    "...They have good investors..."

    "...skeletons like this hiding in their closets..."
    Pretty public documentation to be considered " in the closet".
    Issues are one thing, on the verge of liquidation is another. Eluding to other companies having similar issues is strawman logic at best.

    As for the "good investors" claim, I'll just let that be. No comment needed there.

    Given their current position, they make an ill candidate for a stable hosting recommendation, IMHO.
    This is the best signature in the world....Tribute!
    (It is not the best signature in the world, no. This is just a tribute)

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    80
    Somebody complained that I have multiple accounts on this forum, I suspect WH-Coach may have gotten upset with me and did it. I've never registered an account on this forum before.

    Some people are such poor sports...

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by WH-Coach View Post
    Network includes Bell Canada and Cogent with some other upstreams coming online soon (6-month horizon).
    Forgot to point out that RACKSTER (AS40438) shows only a single peer network, "AS174 COGENT". That's according to robtex.com.

    A single upstream isn't a good detail for your clients to know when you are selling services based on "security" and "uptime" and "redundancy." When you have just "one" of something, how exactly does failover work?

    FYI: canhost (canhost.ca) is operated entirely from Rackster.

    Rackster goes down... canhost goes down.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    650
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff_tanks View Post
    Forgot to point out that RACKSTER (AS40438) shows only a single peer network, "AS174 COGENT". That's according to robtex.com.

    A single upstream isn't a good detail for your clients to know when you are selling services based on "security" and "uptime" and "redundancy." When you have just "one" of something, how exactly does failover work?

    FYI: canhost (canhost.ca) is operated entirely from Rackster.

    Rackster goes down... canhost goes down.
    I have decided to go with Neutral Data Centers Corp instead of Rackster. They seem much more reliable.
    http://www.neutraldata.com/
    Tailored VPS offers fully customizable VPS Hosting
    Powered by OpenVZ | Servers located in the USA | 99.9% Uptime

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    763
    I'm with rackster right now for basic colo needs, and have been for probably 8 months now. I've had no downtime outside of my own "ghetto" hardware kicking the bucket. The one thing that bugged me though is the connection is advertised as 10mbit and when I first got on there I was able to hit that no problem, but as time went on I started hitting caps of 5-6mbit. I later found out that the 10mbit actually gets shared between a couple people. I'm happy getting half that for the price I pay (low compared to everywhere) but I would have preferred being told this up front.
    || Higher Intellect || Half a million documents and climbing.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    NJ, USA
    Posts
    6,401
    My friend Davin used to work there, hah.

    Nice group of guys over (or i guess up and over) there.
    simplywww: directadmin and cpanel hosting that will rock your socks

    Need some work done in a datacenter in the NYC area? NYC Remote Hands can do it.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    763
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougy View Post
    My friend Davin used to work there, hah.

    Nice group of guys over (or i guess up and over) there.
    I used to work with Davin at RackForce, but at the time I was the midnight guy. Nick at Rackster is also a former RackForce employee. He's my point of contact for anything I need done.
    || Higher Intellect || Half a million documents and climbing.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by netfreak View Post
    I'm with rackster right now for basic colo needs, and have been for probably 8 months now. I've had no downtime outside of my own "ghetto" hardware kicking the bucket. The one thing that bugged me though is the connection is advertised as 10mbit and when I first got on there I was able to hit that no problem, but as time went on I started hitting caps of 5-6mbit. I later found out that the 10mbit actually gets shared between a couple people. I'm happy getting half that for the price I pay (low compared to everywhere) but I would have preferred being told this up front.
    Oversubscribed connectivity on bargain bin co-lo is to be expected... seriously, the assumption of the business model is that a customer will never actually try pumping 10mbit 24/7/365. If a customer does, they put enough gotchas in the AUP to make sure the service can be suspended for 'abuse'. As long as the collective usage for a class of service stays within economic parameters they usually don't get too upset.

    Unless you see 'guaranteed' beside the bandwidth rating, just take it with a grain of salt. It's just marketing gimmickery for people who number shop.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •