Question Subdomains in CMS

Hello again,

What CMS do you think is more appropriate for multi-site deployment? I want to be able to produce subdomains that will be identical to the original site and customers can be able to edit/add the content as they want.

I am thinking to use Drupal for this reason. Do you think there is any better for the job I want the CMS for?

Thank you very much

Yes, Drupal has such feature. +1 for Drupal, its great
    YagHost - Fast Reliable Hosting Since 2009
    Managed VPS - NVMe DirectAdmin
    Web Hosting - NVMe SSD, AMD EPYC, 10 Gbps (US, Europe, Singapore)

There's always http://mu.wordpress.org/ too
    Afterburst - the best unmetered VPS - read why here!

Thanks guys.

About the wordpress, I must make clear that I do not want the multi site CMS for blogging, but for more professional use like e-shop etc.

My vote is for Wordpress MU

FYI nowadays Wordpress is not just about blogging, there are a lot of possibilities: CMS, eshop, job boards, social networking, etc

Cheers

Hello there

Thank you very much for the replies. Now I am a bit more confused. What other people think between these 2, Drupal and Wordpress MU?
    I have discovered that Modx and Typolight can do this as well.

Can you throw some light in here with your experience?

Thanks again

Wordpress wont be best choice as it can function as a blog only. But Drupal on the other hand can take care of all the needs. Also you never need to do multiple installations. You can use the same code for multiple site handling only by adding the settings.php corresponding to the sites section. There will be one default site under site folder once its installed. You can create multiple sites under sites directory with different settings.php

Quote Originally Posted by HivelocityDD View Post
    Wordpress wont be best choice as it can function as a blog only. But Drupal on the other hand can take care of all the needs. Also you never need to do multiple installations. You can use the same code for multiple site handling only by adding the settings.php corresponding to the sites section. There will be one default site under site folder once its installed. You can create multiple sites under sites directory with different settings.php
    Wordpress is indeed originaly made for blogs, but you would be suprised if you knew what you could do with a wordpress installation.

I am currently running two sites, that has nothing to do with a blog or even a blog on it by using wordpress and their extremly amazing functionality and endless of possibilities along with mods.

It's true, WordPress is a robust web backend that can be twisted and tweaked into just about anything. WordPress MU is great solution for multidomain blogs (individual and unique blogs on each subdomain) as the OP requested.

I don't know if I've missed the point of the thread, but I had a few customer sites that needed a CMS. I created one version of the site for public display, and one version of the site that was the CMS version.

This got to be quite a pain, as not all sites lend themselves to a CMS and I don't like the idea of making an application fit a design - it should be the other way around. Also, it was just unnecessarily time consuming.

So I created a version of the CMS that was branded to my business, not the customers - it has my logo, and the customers. This means that deployment is much easier, plus it gives the impression of an application that they are buying. All I have to do is change the customer logo on each deployment and a field in the database that shows their name in certain places.

If you want users to be able to create quick cms accounts for their own cms, then I also recommend WP MU - its not just for blogging. There are tons of resources including wordpress forum and social networking plugins now, and its infinitely scaleable (well up to your server limits!).