Thread: Germany?

Germany?

I was thinking of buying a German dedicated server to offer off-shore VPS hosting. However, I heard that they are starting to get tough with illegal content. Is that true?

Illegal content is illegal. So what's wrong with them getting tough?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    Illegal content is illegal. So what's wrong with them getting tough?
    That's ruining the point of an off-shore VPS.

There is also latency .

Yes spunkyasp,
    Due to the Rapidshare AG racket.. German Government is getting on track to find Piracy and put it to an end.
    Thats why I myself, have adopted to give Netherland VPS as an Offshore Option and the German VPS as an Onshore Option to clients on my site

Why do you think Germany is off-shore?

Germany has never had a relaxed attitude towards warez... that i know of...
    BotWars.io - Code the AI of your Battle Bot!

Quote Originally Posted by Spunkyasp View Post
    I was thinking of buying a German dedicated server to offer off-shore VPS hosting. However, I heard that they are starting to get tough with illegal content. Is that true?
    what do you consider to be illegal content?

Warez hosting is also illegal in the Netherlands. The Netherlands does not have a relaxed attitude towards hosting warez.
    Swiftway.net Your Business deserves our Quality - Experts on Hand since 2005. Europe & US locations, we operate our own network AS35017 Support response time <15 minutes 24/7
    Introducing our new Entry level server line ! Support response time <15 minutes 24/7. Technology Fast 50 & Fast 500 award winning for multiple years, Your Business deserves Swiftway Quality.

Quote Originally Posted by swiftnoc View Post
    Warez hosting is also illegal in the Netherlands. The Netherlands does not have a relaxed attitude towards hosting warez.
    Thanks for pointing that out. What i find even more disturbing is that offshore nowadays equals illegal.

Yes that's true.

A lot of clients are asking for "off-shore" which to them is "not US based" in order to host illegal content.

Not purely for geographical and speed reasons, but for other illegitimate reasons.

I'd suggest not hosting in other countries for the sake of harboring illegal content.
    StarkServers.com | Premium Quality Network and Servers
    StarkVPS | Automated and Complete Virtual Private Servers
    Locations | Los Angeles/Oregon (West Coast), Denver/Chicago (Central USA)

Quote Originally Posted by StarkServers View Post
    I'd suggest not hosting in other countries for the sake of harboring illegal content.
    Funny enough, these people will not get away with it, in the end. Most if not all countries cooperate with eachother to 'fight Internet crime'

I would not sleep well if i would be hosting illegal content 'offshore', the chance that they will find out about it (and about you hosting it) gets bigger everyday.
    And when they catch you, then you will not only face criminal court but probably also civilian court for damages caused, wich will eventually leave you totally broke for a large part of you life and maybe even jailed for several years.
    Swiftway.net Your Business deserves our Quality - Experts on Hand since 2005. Europe & US locations, we operate our own network AS35017 Support response time <15 minutes 24/7
    Introducing our new Entry level server line ! Support response time <15 minutes 24/7. Technology Fast 50 & Fast 500 award winning for multiple years, Your Business deserves Swiftway Quality.

Yes, it simply is not worth it.

Chances are the clients are involved with other legal activities and don't like being terminated either.

Most of the time they threaten DDOS attacks and what not.

It's not just the legal aspects but the clients you are targeting.
    StarkServers.com | Premium Quality Network and Servers
    StarkVPS | Automated and Complete Virtual Private Servers
    Locations | Los Angeles/Oregon (West Coast), Denver/Chicago (Central USA)

I agree with most replies here. Like to add that there is not such a big difference between the U.S. and Germany in this respect: if anyone complains than we as provider have to 'take care' of the issue, otherwise our block or blocks of IPs get blacklisted. The mechanisms and the hacking order that are at work are quite similar to those in the U.S.

Martin
    Serving the U.S. and Europe ••• BASIC Networks Corp.
    VPS • Dedicated Servers • Racks
    Hosting & Reseller Hosting
    eNom Domain Registration Reseller • WHMCS Domain Reseller Accounts

Quote Originally Posted by swiftnoc View Post
    Funny enough, these people will not get away with it, in the end. Most if not all countries cooperate with eachother to 'fight Internet crime'
    Most of it but not all since some countries to do not laws for internet yet especially some part in Asia.

Specially 4 U
    Reseller Hosting: Boost Your Websites | Fully Managed KVM VPS: 3.20 - 5.00 Ghz, Pure Dedicated Power
    JoneSolutions.Com is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions, server management and services since 2001
    Debian|Ubuntu|cPanel|DirectAdmin|Enhance|Webuzo|Acronis|Estela|BitNinja|Nginx

Hummm
    i have dedicated server in German copyright not allow
    German law
    Webgater.CoM - Cheap FullyManged Unmetered VPS , Master Reseller ,
    Reseller and Webhosting.
    Tomer A

Most things that are illegal in the U.S. are illegal in Germany as well. Your only "advantage" might be that it might be more difficult to go after you when your server is located in Germany, but the person/organization you're offending is located in the U.S. I wouldn't count on that, however.