Question Need recommendation for hosting, maybe a complex scenario

Hello,

At this moment I am hosted in a VPS, with 1GB ram, paying 35$/month. I'm happy with service and are very professional. But my problem is that I'm having slm memory limits and the situation is not practical in a long term.

So I suppose I have to upgrade to next plan, paying up to 50$/month, but maybe this is not going to solve the problem.

This is not reallistic for my budget, but my problem is that I have a specific scenario:

1. I have a magento store, low traffic, and no more than five sales per month (this is why my budget can't be high). Store is oriented to USA and Spain. I suppose the slm memory limits are due to Magento. Email traffic is high here also.

2. I offer hosting for my customers, as I'm a web designer. Also low traffic sites, joomla, wordpress, and self done php scripts. These sites are for spanish and latin-american customers.

So, with this scene, and after looking a lot in this forum and hosters provided I'm thinking of this situation:

a. Look for a Magento specialized hosting, the cheapest plan, as my store has less than 300 skus and no more than 100 uniques per day. After months of heavy headaches with Magento I'm considering Nexcess magento plans.

b. Look for a linux reseller account, with WHMCS and cPanel, fast, stable, preferably in Europe. Need own nameservers. Considering Innohosting.

Nexcess cost $24,95 and Innohosting $19,95. This is outside my budget, but I suppose I must be realistic with my situation.

I will lose SSH and root access, but I can't pay more than 50$ and what is more important, I'm not a hosting manager, I'm web designer and seo.

Can anybody suggest me any solution? I don't know really what to do... I'm extremely confused, and also sad for leaving my current host.

Thank you very much for your time.
    Last edited by ArtGoddess; 06-13-2009 at 05:31 AM. Reason: nameservers

Can't you host your own site with the reseller account?

I can't host a magento site in a reseller plan.

I'm not shure if I have understand your question....

Why not? Sorry, I've never used Magento but from it's requirements at http://www.magentocommerce.com/system-requirements I can't understand why it can't be hosted on a normal account (in this case a cPanel account under your reseller account)...

Question

Well I need innodb support and most reseller accounts don't offer that.

I was at Hostgator, and have to move to a VPS because I couldn't upgrade my store. Now they can handle innodb, but I'm considering another reseller companies.

But with 1GB guaranteed RAM in my VPS, I'm always consuming 100% of resources.

I would prefer to work with only one host, but I can't find any company that can handle a magento store in a reseller account, offering white label, private nameservers and whmcs.

If somebody can suggest me a solution I would be very grateful. I want to take the best decision, and move, If needed, for the last time.

Thank you.

Magento should work in many hosts, however, you have to take in mind that is a resources hog, really, it does it a lot of RAM and CPU.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Question

Exactly, should work doesn't mean It will work fine.

And if 1GB ram in my VPS it's not enough... will be enough a shared reseller account?

I need (including magento) 10 accounts, 9GB disk space and 60,000 MB bandwith.

I hope somebody can understand my situation and suggest me any idea. Thank you.

There are a lot of web hosting companies that offer Magento hosting on a shared platform, which may be a better solution for you instead of hitting those memory limits on the VPS and having the site spit back errors.

The issue may be with burst of ram, and you may be hitting those limits. You probably aren't using much consistently anyway.
    Kaumil P.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Kaumil View Post
    The issue may be with burst of ram, and you may be hitting those limits. You probably aren't using much consistently anyway.
    Sorry Kaumil, can you please explain?

I have checked several reseller plans and seems that can handle a magento host: Hostgator
    Aspirationhosting (a pity their servers are in Los Angeles, is far from me)
    Ihubnet (the same, in Los Angeles)
    Innohosting (no SSH and no Magento Connect, no idea of how I will be able to upgrade my store and maintain it).

Any suggestions of other magento owners, please?

I have or have had Magento installations with MDDHosting, Hawkhost, Dotable, Scarabweb, Downtownhost & Knownhost without problem.

Thank you for your suggestions.

I have realized I only need 4GB of space, so any small reseller plan will be fine, but, will support Magento?

Innohosting has confirmed that I must go for a VPS... and I'm in a VPS, doesn't make sense.

The same VPS I have now will cost me in KnownHost more than 60$ per month. I can't afford that.

So now I'm considering seriously Hawkhost, although don't offer WHMCS and HostNine, but it has very bad reviews in this forum.

Both have told me in a presale conversation that they support Magento.

Anybody has hosted Magento in reseller plans, please?

I have a reseller account with scarabweb and magento runs fine.
    Last edited by plal; 06-19-2009 at 12:27 PM.