Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs down 50K Files Size Limit of Hostmonster

Does anyone here is aware of the Hostmonster.com 50K filesize limit?

I have 6 accounts with this host which i thought could provide me with a reliable hosting for my sites. Instead, one of my web portal about ghost and paranormals that currently have abt 3K users always got suspended due to exceeding the 50K filesize limit. This really pissed me off and would definately not recommend this host to anyone who is running a web portal. Can any web portal that continues to get new signups everyday stays beyond that 50K filesize limit?
    Why they make such a statemens in their ads

UNLIMITED Hosting Space
    UNLIMITED Site Bandwidth
    Host UNLIMITED Domains
    Unlimited Pop/Imap Email Accounts

Shouldn't they just let people know of ALL their LIMITS.
    And if they did, i would definately not get their hosting for all my accounts.

And this 50K Flesize Limit is not even stated in their Terms.

Quote Originally Posted by xXTReMEXx View Post

I have 6 accounts with this host which i thought could provide me with a reliable hosting for my sites. Instead, one of my web portal about ghost and paranormals that currently have abt 3K users always got suspended due to exceeding the 50K filesize limit. This really pissed me off and would definately not recommend this host to anyone who is running a web portal. Can any web portal that continues to get new signups everyday stays beyond that 50K filesize limit?

UNLIMITED Hosting Space
    UNLIMITED Site Bandwidth
    Host UNLIMITED Domains

This is a primary downside of going with an "unlimited" web host - you will run into such issues. If every web host was to list every limitation you would be wading through huge lists of things web hosts can't do instead of things they can do. It's better to find a host based upon whether it *can* do what you need instead of whether it cannot do a bunch of things you may or may not need to do.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

Hmm, can they do that legally?

What "Unlimited" means. HostMonster.Com does not set an arbitrary limit or cap on the amount of resources a single Subscriber can use. In good faith and subject to these Terms, HostMonster.Com makes every commercially reasonable effort to provide its Subscribers with all the storage and bandwidth resources needed to power their web sites successfully, as long as the Subscriber's use of the service complies with these Terms. By not setting limits on key resources, we are able to provide simple, consistent pricing to our Subscribers as they grow their websites. As a result, a typical website may experience periods of great popularity and resulting increased storage without experiencing any associated increase in hosting charges.
    FazeWire Web Services.
    || We have provided great prices and better support since 2006. Located in Seattle, WA!
    || -----------------
    || Shared Hosting - VPS - Dedicated Servers - Colocation - Software Licenses

50k file size limit or total number of files on your account? Almost all unlimited providers have a 50k limit on the total number of files that you can have on the account.

That's shady, they should at least have it stated in their TOS.

Some of the other accounts have an even lower limit on the number of files, they then ask you to upgrade or delete unwanted files.

I think this is the number of total files, as WN-Ali suggested.

If you can't work out a solution with HM support after talking to them, you should find another host that would be more suitable and go ahead and switch; you don't want your site to be down any more because of this. (Verify file limits before signing up, and look for a host with realistic plan stats and a good reputation.)

Then if you are locked into a longer-term contract, you might be able to put it to some other use, such as non-interactive sites, for the remainder of your time. However, in the Knowledgebase it indicates that you can receive a pro-rated refund when you cancel--that's even better. If you do cancel, switch to the new host beforehand to avoid downtime.
    WebHostingScene.com - Find a web host, read tips and commentary, and keep up with hosting deals and trends

SensibleHosts.com - Locate realistic hosting plans; avoid oversellers!

I believe you mean inodes limit.

With that amount of users, you shouldn't be looking at HostMonster kind of overselling shared host. Move on to a semi-dedicated or managed VPS.

UNLIMITED Hosting Space
    UNLIMITED Site Bandwidth
    Host UNLIMITED Domains
    But why did you believe them?

I'm sure that's in their ToS/AUP. As you had said, if they let others know the limits that obviously, people like you won't subscribe to their lies.

Taken from here. I believe even without stating that 50K inodes limit, what they stated there can be obvious enough.

"UNLIMITED" USAGE POLICIES AND DEFINITIONS
    1. What "Unlimited" means. HostMonster.Com does not set an arbitrary limit or cap on the amount of resources a single Subscriber can use. In good faith and subject to these Terms, HostMonster.Com makes every commercially reasonable effort to provide its Subscribers with all the storage and bandwidth resources needed to power their web sites successfully, as long as the Subscriber's use of the service complies with these Terms. By not setting limits on key resources, we are able to provide simple, consistent pricing to our Subscribers as they grow their websites. As a result, a typical website may experience periods of great popularity and resulting increased storage without experiencing any associated increase in hosting charges.
    2. What "Unlimited" DOES NOT mean. HostMonster.Com employs complex mechanisms to protect its Subscribers and systems from abuse. HostMonster.Com's offering of "unlimited" services is not intended to allow the actions of a single or few Subscribers to unfairly or adversely impact the experience of other Subscribers.

HostMonster.Com's service is a shared hosting service, which means that multiple Subscriber web sites are hosted from the same server and share server resources. HostMonster.Com's service is designed to meet the typical needs of small business and home business website Subscribers in the United States. It is NOT intended to support the sustained demand of large enterprises, internationally based businesses, or non-typical applications better suited to a dedicated server.

HostMonster.Com will make every commercially reasonable effort to provide additional resources to Subscribers who are using their website(s) consistent with these Terms, including moving Subscribers to newer and bigger shared servers as necessary. However, in order to ensure a consistent and quality experience for all Subscribers, HostMonster.Com does place automated safeguards to protect against any one site growing too quickly and adversely impacting the system until HostMonster.Com can evaluate said sites resource needs.
    3. Unlimited Hosting Space. HostMonster.Com does not set arbitrary limits on the amount of disk space a Subscriber can use for the Subscriber's website, nor does HostMonster.Com charge additional fees based on an increased amount of storage used, provided the Subscriber's use of storage complies with these Terms. Please note, however, that the HostMonster.Com service is designed to host websites . HostMonster.Com does NOT provide unlimited space for online storage, backups, or archiving of electronic files, documents, log files, etc., and any such prohibited use of the Services will result in the termination of Subscriber's account, with or without notice.
    4. Unlimited File Transfer. HostMonster.Com does not set arbitrary limits on the amount of visitor traffic a web site can receive or on the amount of content a Subscriber can upload to his/her/its website in a given month, nor does HostMonster.Com charge additional fees based on increased use of bandwidth, as long as the Subscriber's use of the Services complies with these Terms. In most cases, a Subscriber's web site will be able to support as much traffic as the Subscriber can legitimately acquire. However, HostMonster.Com reserves the right to limit processor time, bandwidth, or processes in cases where it is necessary to prevent negatively impacting other Subscribers.
    5. Unlimited Domain Hosting. HostMonster.Com does not set arbitrary limits on the number of domain names a Subscriber can associate with the Subscriber's web hosting account.
    LIMENEX WEB HOSTING
    Affordable High Performance Web Hosting in United States & United Kingdom
    Web Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Managed VPS | Managed Dedicated Servers | Cheap SSL Certificates

As rule unlimited offers are used to attract you not to provide that to you.

UNLIMITED Hosting Space
    UNLIMITED Site Bandwidth
    Host UNLIMITED Domains

Stop going with UNLIMITED space and bandwidth providers. You take "unlimited" to literal.

With the resources you're using, it seems as if you need a VPS. I think its about time to upgrade.

I agree and what you can do now is placing the requirements you have to the FIND a HOST section and you will see what people can offer for you and compare with what you have right now

I don't 100% understand what file limitation is being enforced. Does he mean no 1 file can be above 50 kilobites? Or does he mean you cannot have more than 50,000 files?
    Imeanwebhosting.com - Shared cpanel hosting, 99.9% uptime.
    10 min average ticket responses, softaculous, rvsitebuilder, and more!
    Reliable, affordable shared hosting. I Mean Web Hosting!

Well I there its near to impossible for Unlimited Space unless, your Host would just keep Adding HDD to the Server to provide you with non stop space.
    Unlimited Bandwidth is possible in some extent. Still...
    ===
    O.O Host Monster has done this for many time before...
    I think they should increase it 100,000 files. That would be good

try bluehost. :p

There is no such thing like unlimited. try innohosting

Or does he mean you cannot have more than 50,000 files?
    That one. Essentially, you can run about 10 or so CMS based websites, assuming you don't allow users to upload/attach files.

I think they should increase it 100,000 files. That would be good
    The actual limit is of no importance. What is important is that it should be communicated prior to signing up, as it is crucial to defining the service. Applying such limitations to old customers should be done with special care. As a courtesy, they could be given some time to sort the situation out.
    Last edited by ldcdc; 06-13-2009 at 07:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc View Post
    The actual limit is of no importance. What is important is that it should be communicated prior to signing up, as it is crucial to defining the service. Applying such limitations to old customers should be done with special care. As a courtesy, they could be given some time to sort the situation out.
    50k files is a lot, considering their target customer are small businesses and small websites in general. I agree that it should have been communicated, but there are a million things that can or cannot happen with a web hosting company and you simply can't list everything. Question is, did the customer ask them whether he could upload 50k worth of files?

If not, its the customers own fault.
    Kaumil P.

Any web host that offers unlimited space or traffic allowance IMHO is shady, I would advice anyone going to such companies to make sure they read the terms and conditions and even contact thier support before ordering anything from them.

Quote Originally Posted by ProHostGold View Post
    Any web host that offers unlimited space or traffic allowance IMHO is shady
    How is it that these companies have hundreds of thousands of satisfied customers that continue to renew their accounts year after year if "unlimited" companies are shady?
    Kaumil P.

Because they use false advertising, a vast number of people don't have a clue how they are being duped buy those web hosts.

Because they use false advertising, a vast number of people don't have a clue how they are being duped buy those web hosts.
    I don't consider it false advertising. It's unlimited, they don't limit the use of disk space and transfer -- and most if not all "unlimited" hosts, don't.

The "vast number of people" never come close to 1GB of disk space, which is nothing in the grand scheme of things. They are getting what they pay for -- no limits on their disk space.

Those who are trying to put 500GB of files and transfer 3000GB of transfer on a $3.95-$7.95/month host, well, it's their own stupidity for thinking they can.
    Kaumil P.

If they are offered unlimited why should they not do it? there is simply no such thing as unlimited, all things have limits.

No matter which way you try to spin it it's false advertising.

Quote Originally Posted by Curry View Post
    (Verify file limits before signing up...)
    The 50000 inode limit is a new policy that Bluehost and Hostmonster are forcing on existing customers which are presently over the 50000 inode limit. So in the past it was acceptable to have over 50000 inodes on a Bluehost or Hostmonster account but apparently not now.

Quote Originally Posted by psychicBOY View Post
    Bluehost and Hostmonster are run by the same people at the same location with the same policies.

Quote Originally Posted by psychicBOY View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyPenguin View Post
    Bluehost and Hostmonster are run by the same people at the same location with the same policies.
    Definitely true, I doubt you'd have any more luck with BlueHost than HostMonster.

Question is, did the customer ask them whether he could upload 50k worth of files?

If not, its the customers own fault.
    I fail to see how that can be true. There are millions of questions a customer would have to ask a provider before signing up, for a million possible scenarios and limitations. The onus is on the provider to describe the service properly, if not on the package, then at least in the contract. If I sell you a pot in a sealed box, and then it turns out that it has no bottom, would it be your fault that you didn't ask if it had one?

If I offer "customer support" but then it turns out that you can only ask 3 questions per month, would it be your fault? etc.

50k files is a lot
    Maybe, but it is quite arguably less than the customer could reasonably expect when he signed up and there was no limit mentioned.
    Last edited by ldcdc; 06-13-2009 at 01:47 PM.

I *love* the examples ldcdc, better than all of the ones I was able to come up with for sure.

UNLIMITED Hosting Space
    UNLIMITED Site Bandwidth
    Host UNLIMITED Domains

Its very simple really. On a shared server

1) Unlimited = no quota
    2) Unlimited does not = substitute for dedicated or virtual server

Unlimited is like 99% fat free, it don't exists.

web portal about ghost and paranormals
    Could you please post or PM me the URL? It seems interesting

Unlimited is like 99% fat free, it don't exists.
    Especially those plans that offer

Unlimited Email Accounts
    Unlimited Databases
    Unlimited Domains

On a few mb of disk space

Quote Originally Posted by Collabora View Post
    Especially those plans that offer

Unlimited Email Accounts
    Unlimited Databases
    Unlimited Domains

On a few mb of disk space
    That's a fair point.

owm
    ()
    Life's what you make it.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by IMeanWebHosting View Post
    I don't 100% understand what file limitation is being enforced. Does he mean no 1 file can be above 50 kilobites? Or does he mean you cannot have more than 50,000 files?
    what they meant is 50,000 files... isn't that radiculous??? instead of monitoring the disk space, they are monitoring the amount of files..
    and the space so far i've been using is only abt 20Gig.
    How can i stay within that range for a community portal??

Quote Originally Posted by IMeanWebHosting View Post
    they mean that you cannot have no. of files above 50,000. not kilobytes or megabytes. Crazy isn't it? when asked why was it not stated in the TOC, they said it's their new policy.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyPenguin View Post
    oh really? i shud take note of that too coz i'm switching host sooner or later and all my 6 accounts will be moved to another host 1 by 1.
    Will keep far far away from them 4 good.

what they meant is 50,000 files... isn't that radiculous??? instead of monitoring the disk space, they are monitoring the amount of files..
    and the space so far i've been using is only abt 20Gig.
    How can i stay within that range for a community portal??
    Maybe I should start advertising "unlimited number of files!" since I don't limit that and hostgator does.
    Imeanwebhosting.com - Shared cpanel hosting, 99.9% uptime.
    10 min average ticket responses, softaculous, rvsitebuilder, and more!
    Reliable, affordable shared hosting. I Mean Web Hosting!

Options

I think that sometimes people expect more out of the big companies then they do from the small ones, but in reality the big companies have more to deal with then the smaller ones, thus support sometimes is lacked, or limits on more things are more enforced since it restrict many clients unlike smaller host's. If your current provider wont work something out with you then im sure other host's will, maybe you can also look at other newer providers who would love to have new clients and be able to custom work out a package with you before ordereing, that's what i would do after running into this issue.

I can't tell you how many threads I've read of BlueHost/Hostmonster forcing upgrades on people with low resources without proof of their usage or direct statements within their TOS to back it up.

I'd honestly have to say that both of those companies are about as shady as you can get without being called scammers. They are literally scamming people into upgrading to large, more expensive packages with no proof or substance to back-up their allegations.

I'd recommend backing up your data and finding a host that is going to respect you enough to at least give you all of the info on the front-end and not wait until you're settled to try and take more of your money.

/end rant

Sorry!
    FiberPeer.Com | | REAL DDoS Protection | Cloud Hosting | VPS | Dedicated Servers | High Bandwidth Hosting | 1Gbps-10Gbps Unmetered
    FiberPeer DDoS Mitigation | ethProxy Upgraded! | 14-Years Experience | Emergency 24/7 Support
    Visit us @ www.fiberpeer.com

Other host were moaning at me the other the for day for saying I would never go with a host offering unlimted gb space. You read this and it good example why I said this.I know it a way of getting customer for the host who do it.

Thumbs up new host

oh really? i shud take note of that too coz i'm switching host sooner or later and all my 6 accounts will be moved to another host 1 by 1.
    Will keep far far away from them 4 good.

Hope you find good host this time I can recommend aspirationhosting very good company.

Best Of Luck !

50,000 files is quite a number of files for a personal or small biz site intended for a shared web server. Contrary to what some others have mentioned HM was probably justified in asking you to upgrade off of their shared server.

If you want to enjoy continued success and growth of your site I would also recommend an upgrade. If you plan on stagnation perhaps you can find new smaller host that is willing to put anyting on their shared server in order to gain a customer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast