Question US Colo Recommendations?

G'day from Perth in Western Australia.

A community organisation I'm with is looking to colo 2 x 1RU servers in the US, so looking for suitable colo facilities.

We definitely want to buy, own and manage the servers ourselves, so we're after colo & bandwidth, not server rental.

As we're new to colo in the US, any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Servers will be 2 x quad core CPU, 8GB RAM, 2 x SAS HDDs, 1 x PSU, so we'll obviously need a facility able to provide the required power at a reasonable cost.

We'll need 4 network points, 2 for each server (1 Internet, 1 LOM).

Bandwidth wise, we're expecting to start with low demand, but grow steadily over the next two to three years.

Ideally we're after flat rate bandwidth in the order of 512Kbps - 2 Mbps, aggregated across the network points, with no excess usage charges.

95th percentile billing is also an option, but less preferred - we'd much rather know we have a fixed monthly OpEx, instead of the unpleasant surprise of a large excess bandwidth bill!

We're happy to look at other bandwidth options, so long as they provide a fixed monthly cost, and let us scale at a reasonable price, as we need it.

We'll like a /28 of IP space - 8-10 usable, but may be able to get away with a /29 if it's the make or break decision.

Budget wise, we'd prefer to keep it all under $200/mo, but have a little flexibility if it guarantees the fixed monthly bandwidth costs.

Any and all advice on the above appreciated.

Cheers,

prk.

do you know how much power you will need ?

you dont seem to need much bandwith

What would you like to know?

Do you have a geological preference?

Other than that, looks like what you need could be managed quite easily... Have you taken a look at the offer forums?
    FazeWire Web Services.
    || We have provided great prices and better support since 2006. Located in Seattle, WA!
    || -----------------
    || Shared Hosting - VPS - Dedicated Servers - Colocation - Software Licenses

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhouse View Post
    do you know how much power you will need ?

you dont seem to need much bandwith
    From the various sites power calculators, I'd estimate about 2.5A per server at 120V AC - but I don't know how accurate they are.

prk.

Quote Originally Posted by FazeWire View Post
    What would you like to know?

Do you have a geological preference?

Other than that, looks like what you need could be managed quite easily... Have you taken a look at the offer forums?
    The confirmation that we're not asking for the impossible is a good start!

Continental US is as far as we got with the geo preferences. I'd probably favour West Coast slightly, due to proximity to Australia, but the web apps aren't going to be latency sensitive, so Central or East Coast would also work fine.

Recommendations on colo facilities would be good, if anyone has any experience with similar requirements.

Thanks for the pointer to the offer forums - am looking through them atm.

prk.

You may also check out these sites:

http://www.colofind.net/
    http://www.quotecolo.com/

I know a few in Seattle, the only one we actually do business with is *******. They have been great, get in touch with their sales team over there.
    FazeWire Web Services.
    || We have provided great prices and better support since 2006. Located in Seattle, WA!
    || -----------------
    || Shared Hosting - VPS - Dedicated Servers - Colocation - Software Licenses

You can try colo4dallas.com, servercentral.net, gigenet.com, steadfast.net which are a few providers you can rely on.

Many places charge more then $40 per Amp

good luck with your search!

Contact Adam at Netriver.net. He will arrange a deal within your budget. One of the best networks I have seen for Asia - Pacific Rim area. We have some customers in Australia too, and none of them complain about the performance.

Quote Originally Posted by prky View Post
    G'day from Perth in Western Australia.

A community organisation I'm with is looking to colo 2 x 1RU servers in the US, so looking for suitable colo facilities.

We definitely want to buy, own and manage the servers ourselves, so we're after colo & bandwidth, not server rental.

As we're new to colo in the US, any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Servers will be 2 x quad core CPU, 8GB RAM, 2 x SAS HDDs, 1 x PSU, so we'll obviously need a facility able to provide the required power at a reasonable cost.

We'll need 4 network points, 2 for each server (1 Internet, 1 LOM).

Bandwidth wise, we're expecting to start with low demand, but grow steadily over the next two to three years.

Ideally we're after flat rate bandwidth in the order of 512Kbps - 2 Mbps, aggregated across the network points, with no excess usage charges.

95th percentile billing is also an option, but less preferred - we'd much rather know we have a fixed monthly OpEx, instead of the unpleasant surprise of a large excess bandwidth bill!

We're happy to look at other bandwidth options, so long as they provide a fixed monthly cost, and let us scale at a reasonable price, as we need it.

We'll like a /28 of IP space - 8-10 usable, but may be able to get away with a /29 if it's the make or break decision.

Budget wise, we'd prefer to keep it all under $200/mo, but have a little flexibility if it guarantees the fixed monthly bandwidth costs.

Any and all advice on the above appreciated.

Cheers,

prk.
    Unfortunately for you, I have never seen a US provider with Telstra, Optus or UECOMM service in their blend!

Are you looking for options like Remote Reboot ports, IP over KVM access, etc? As well, unless your servers are specifically low power (Xeons start w/ L), they'll likely use more than 2amps for dual proc quad core Harpertown/Clovertowns, so keep an eye out for those offering just 1-2amp with 1u. Your bandwidth requirements are very low as well so I think you could get quality 1u colo for under $150/month.

PCCW is pretty popular in Asia so it may be a good idea to pull a test file from some providers that have PCCW in their blend. You said however that latency may not be a huge deal since your applications are not time sensitive. I've had some of my coworkers pull test files from Sydney and Melbourne of different providers to get a good feel for speeds, you may want to try the same, although Perth is quite a good bit different as far as infrastructure than Sydney and Melbourne! You'll likely get backhauled to Sydney then to California, or up to Singapore then to the west coast. Some providers may even send you all the way through London to the east coast of the US (Not very common however).

Cheers!
    Last edited by RHServices; 06-14-2009 at 12:20 AM.
    Reliable Hosting Services, LLC
    Affordable Co-Location, Dedicated Servers and VPS Solutions
    http://www.reliablehostingservices.net
    (888) 693-8309

Second colo4Dallas here. Wish there was a comparable organization on the west coast. They have good support structure and reasonable rates.

If you look to colocate on the West coast, Los Angeles area would probably get you a lot of competitive bids but you will have to do considerably more due diligence.

I was in C4D year ago. Now I am in Netriver in Seattle area, so I have experience with both. If you are around there, schedule a datacenter tour with Netriver. I have nothing but good to say about Netriver. I know some other good shops in area, but my personal experience with Netriver is very positive.

Quote Originally Posted by johnbrown362003 View Post
    Second colo4Dallas here. Wish there was a comparable organization on the west coast. They have good support structure and reasonable rates.

Quote Originally Posted by RHServices View Post
    Unfortunately for you, I have never seen a US provider with Telstra, Optus or UECOMM service in their blend!
    Heh.

We're used to suboptimal routing in Australia - as long as we can reach it, it will be fine

Also, whilst the community organisation has some Australian members, it's much more global, with a high number of US and some European members too.

Are you looking for options like Remote Reboot ports, IP over KVM access, etc?
    We're planning to use an additional network port on each server for Lights Out Management - so we shouldn't really need the remote reboot / KVMoIP options.

As well, unless your servers are specifically low power (Xeons start w/ L), they'll likely use more than 2amps for dual proc quad core Harpertown/Clovertowns, so keep an eye out for those offering just 1-2amp with 1u.
    Yes - that's been a killer on a couple of the sites. We're definitely needing a data centre which will supply us a power outlet for each server without counting and measuring the amps.

Your bandwidth requirements are very low as well so I think you could get quality 1u colo for under $150/month.
    Groovy.

I've had some of my coworkers pull test files from Sydney and Melbourne of different providers to get a good feel for speeds, you may want to try the same, although Perth is quite a good bit different as far as infrastructure than Sydney and Melbourne! You'll likely get backhauled to Sydney then to California, or up to Singapore then to the west coast. Some providers may even send you all the way through London to the east coast of the US (Not very common however).
    Yeah, we tend to get the majority of US traffic from CA through to Sydney.

Thanks for your comments!

prk.

There are many, many options. NetRiver are a good choice, for the Pacific NW / West-Coast, but if you ever plan to grow outside of that region, then you will have to find another new vendor, as they are a one-site wonder today and more focused on growing their footprint locally. In the Bay Area, I like Peak Web Hosting, but regional as well. Carpathia may be a better choice if you need a national footprint. Further, if your network requirements are demanding, you might look for an Internap partner - by far the best performing ISP with a strong SLA, but you will pay a little more. You can also find many more choices via our website at www.wiredre.com/data-centers.

We use colo4dallas in the USA. Highly recommended.

Why don't you colocate in AUS though?

Hello Prky,

If you want to choose a DataCenter from another City/Country you really need to choose very well if you dosn't want to have headaches.

We are a hosting company in Colombia and we colo all our server in US. Is very important to us and I think same for you to have a very good remote hands support and staff that can help you when you have problems with your hardware. I recomend you to contact Reyner from GIPNetworks. He can give you all you need and give you very good prices. And if you can't drive to the Data Center you will always found a very good trained staff to assist you.

GIPNetworks have a very good facility and very stable/fast Network!

http://gipnetworks.com/
    Rener's email: rnatahamidjaja @ gipnetworks.com
    Last edited by jdbravo; 06-17-2009 at 03:16 PM.
    Jose David Bravo | jbravo[at]colombiahosting.com.co
    ColombiaHosting High Quality Hosting in Colombia
    www.colombiahosting.com.co

cololocker.com is worth a look

I've had good experiences with cololocker.com. Good pricing in a good facility, with people who know what they're doing.

Good luck!

While I also suggest looking for places in AUS, if you are going to go for the USA I suggest you look at USSHC they are a great provider, we have had 100% uptime with them, and in my opinion they have great prices!
    -Jacob
    iWF Hosting - 5 US datacenters offering shared, reseller, dedicated, VPS and Colo
    California | Oregon | Iowa | North Carolina | Nevada

Quote Originally Posted by FazeWire View Post
    You may also check out these sites:

http://www.colofind.net/
    http://www.quotecolo.com/

I know a few in Seattle, the only one we actually do business with is *******. They have been great, get in touch with their sales team over there.
    Hey! Thank you for the short review