Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

cPanel install time?

I have a VPS on FSCKVPS, and I just purchased a cPanel license.

It's got 1024mb of memory, however it's been installing for 8-9 hours now.

It's just at the part where it does "......." every second or so.

How long should cPanel take to install?

It shouldn't take that long, something's very wrong there. It usually takes 70-80 minutes at the most (often closer to 45). cPanel "DNS Only" on my FSCKVPS took 20.3 minutes, and a full cPanel install on a dedicated server took me 65.3 minutes. (It writes the install time to the bottom of the log file)

Open another SSH connection and run tail -n100 -f /var/log/cpanel-install-thread0.log, see what's at the bottom of its install log (this will show the last 100 lines, and follow the log, so that new stuff will automatically appear in that console and you can watch it. Press Ctrl+C to exit it. Do not press Ctrl+C in the install window, that will kill the install!).
    Last edited by Daniel15; 06-12-2009 at 10:49 PM.

Yeah I was trying to, when I try to initialize another SSH connection it just drops immediately, however I can telnet to the port.. not quite sure.

I just Ctrl-C'd it.. Is there anything I need to clean up before I run the script again?

when I try to initialize another SSH connection it just drops immediately
    Sounds like you might be having the fsckvps "memory problem" everyone seems to be having on their new VPSes - Even though "free -m" says there's lots of free memory, some things still say "Out of memory". If so, open a support ticket, they should be able to fix it.

Is there anything I need to clean up before I run the script again?
    I don't think so, I believe the install script is smart enough to deal with it.

Before you start the install again, open a new SSH connection. As soon as it starts, run the "tail" command to watch the log file

Yeah, I did that. I'm gonna give it a quick reboot first just in case though.

It really depends on how much bandwidth speed is being used by the other users on the same VPS node as you, as one or a few might be hogging up a lot of bandwidth on the node. The fastest speed I experienced was about 1 hour on a 100mbit port. it can take longer depending on many different factors, regarding bandwidth.
    Try rebuilding to centos-5 plain, and try installing cPanel again.

Can't really rebuild easily, no administration panel installed. Would have to request FSCK to do that for me.

Going to have to wait now, the server is not responding to ping or anything anymore.

Try rebuilding to centos-5 plain
    FsckVPS were using HyperVM, which has now been removed due to the security issues. They haven't put a replacement panel in just yet, so there's no easy way to rebuild without a support ticket. vect0r, perhaps request a rebuild with a plain CentOS5 image, like HL-Adam was saying

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel15 View Post
    FsckVPS were using HyperVM, which has now been removed due to the security issues. They haven't put a replacement panel in just yet, so there's no easy way to rebuild without a support ticket. vect0r, perhaps request a rebuild with a plain CentOS5 image, like HL-Adam was saying
    Yeah, just submit a support ticket.

cPanel installs perform code rebuilds / compiles for many programs so it's CPU intensive. I bet your VPS has few CPU cycles to spare for this task so the cPanel install takes forever to complete.

Regards
    UNIXy - Fully Managed Servers and Clusters - Established in 2006
    [ cPanel Varnish Nginx Plugin ] - Enhance LiteSpeed and Apache Performance
    www.unixy.net - Los Angeles | Houston | Atlanta | Rotterdam
    Love to help pro bono (time permitting). joe > unixy.net

I've seen the cpanel installation sometimes take hours but 8-9 hours doesn't sound like something went right.

I've had the Cpanel VPS take up to 5 hours, but most of the time one hour tops.

cPanel can take ages on some systems, I normally just leave it going overnight or use a premade image.
    Did you format first?
    - Buying up websites, side-projects and companies - PM Me! -

Can you post the content of /proc/cpuinfo?

Regards

Good luck solving your problem, seems as if you probably have something wrong.

It shouldn't take that long. Its estimated 3-4 hours with those configs. Why dont you screen the install?
    screen
    cd /home
    wget http://layer1.cpanel.net/latest
    sh latest

and if you get disconnected

screen -R

Can't do much of anything atm, currently when I'm logged in I get:

-bash: fork: Cannot allocate memory
    -bash-3.2# /proc/cpuinfo

Have a ticket open waiting for this to be resolved (I think I should just reimage it at this point) - But I do see all of cPanel's stuff running in the background. So not sure if maybe I just don't have the resources for it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by vect0r View Post
    Can't do much of anything atm, currently when I'm logged in I get:

-bash: fork: Cannot allocate memory
    -bash-3.2# /proc/cpuinfo

Have a ticket open waiting for this to be resolved (I think I should just reimage it at this point) - But I do see all of cPanel's stuff running in the background. So not sure if maybe I just don't have the resources for it or not.
    It looks like you either ran out of memory or maxed the number of running processes. Cat /proc/user_beancounters will definitely give some clues if you an openvz VPS. you'll probably hit the same problem even if you reimage. You need to upgrade memory and possibly other resources.

Best
    Last edited by UNIXy; 06-13-2009 at 03:58 PM.

I asked them to reimage it for now. Not able to do much anymore, still waiting for a reply from FSCKVPS.

I understand they're going through hard times right now, but I'm losing a lot of time with the lack of response on tickets. Might have to look somewhere else for a VPS unfortunately.

What does this show:
    cat /proc/cpuinfo

You might want to check to see if they have a cPanel image to install from. cPanel install are very resource intensive that is why we have a cPanel template. With it, a cPanel install only takes a few minutes.

I can't even connect to it anymore.

By the way, is the 1GB memory dedicated or burst? If it's burst, that would be an issue as it would imply the node is oversold. If it's dedicated and you're still getting the "cannot allocate memory" error, it means either CPU Hertz is too low or you've reached a hard set limit on the number of running processes.

Good luck with your VPS and keep us posted on progress.

Best

I can't even connect to it anymore.
    I feel for you
    I had a few VPS with them, all had cPanel. I actually had very similar problems as you.. First the installs were taking WAY too long(2-3 hours, when used to be 60-70min), then even when it finally finished installing I got "Cannot allocate memory" errors everywhere.. This being on every VPS with at least 2GB memory(dedicated).

Finally figured out that they were stuffing a ton of VPS on each node to try and get everyone back online.. I just ended up going elsewhere.. If you can stick it out please do, aside from the last week these guys have always done a great job and provided a supurb service for the price
    | | i write code

Unfortunately it is still offline and I'm not too sure what is happening with it.

What is the minimum amount of dedicated ram I can run cPanel with? This isn't going to be a high traffic site, this is more or less for my own entertainment/development. I think I'm going to purchase a new VPS tonight, scouring the VPS offers forums as I type this, haha.

As hard as it can be to not have my e-mail/websites up and running, I think I'm going to give FSCK a little bit more time to work out these issues. I can understand them being completely overwhelmed at this point.

If I go another full day without a response, I will have to make a switch at that point.

What is the minimum amount of dedicated ram I can run cPanel with? This isn't going to be a high traffic site, this is more or less for my own entertainment/development. I think I'm going to purchase a new VPS tonight, scouring the VPS offers forums as I type this, haha.
    1GB is plenty for a small cPanel server. But memory is not the issue as you can see.

Regards

even when it finally finished installing I got "Cannot allocate memory" errors everywhere.
    Known problem with new FsckVPS nodes
    Make a support ticket and they'll fix that - Tell them you need your "kmemsize" increased. I had memory issues on my VPS too, but it appears to be fixed now.

What is the minimum amount of dedicated ram I can run cPanel with?
    It should run fine with 512 MB. A cPanel virtual server I have with about 50 sites on it is using 680 MB RAM right now.

It's back up and I'm reinstalling now.

BTW:

-bash: /proc/cpuinfo: Permission denied
    - Can't run it.

I will keep you guys posted on how the install goes

It's back up and I'm reinstalling now.

BTW:

-bash: /proc/cpuinfo: Permission denied
    - Can't run it.
    That's because it's a file, not a program
    Try
    Code:
    cat /proc/cpuinfo

Still couldn't install...

==> Starting cPanel....
    open3: fork failed: Cannot allocate memory at /usr/local/cpanel/Cpanel/SafeRun/Errors.pm line 41
    ==> Post Install Complete
    ...Done
    Updating Addons......Done
    Running postinstall scripts...Scanning for new mail senders.....Done
    Scanning suexec_log...Done
    ...Done
    Securing the /tmp and /var/tmp directories....Securing /tmp & /var/tmp
    The system does not support loop devices.
    ...Done
    Cleaning Up....open3: fork failed: Cannot allocate memory at ./install line 1049

processor : 3
    vendor_id : GenuineIntel
    cpu family : 6
    model : 15
    model name : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
    stepping : 11
    cpu MHz : 2394.053
    cache size : 4096 KB
    physical id : 0
    siblings : 4
    core id : 3
    cpu cores : 4
    apicid : 3
    fpu : yes
    fpu_exception : yes
    cpuid level : 10
    wp : yes
    flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm syscall nx lm constant_tsc pni monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 cx16 xtpr lahf_lm
    bogomips : 4787.38
    clflush size : 64
    cache_alignment : 64
    address sizes : 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual

i had a problem with install cpanel on cheapvps but i refuse to use there services now, and im in alot better services now..
    Martyn

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel15 View Post
    That's because it's a file, not a program
    Try
    Code:
    cat /proc/cpuinfo
    lol, can't beleive i forgot cat.. noob moment

Still couldn't install...

==> Starting cPanel....
    open3: fork failed: Cannot allocate memory at /usr/local/cpanel/Cpanel/SafeRun/Errors.pm line 41
    Open a support ticket and ask them to increase your "kmemsize" setting. Seems a lot of people are having problems with this. I'm not too sure what that setting actually does (doesn't seem to have anything to do with actual RAM in the VPS), but once they fix that, it should install fine (one of my friends installed cPanel on his fsckvps VPS fine, he's on their $10 per month plan).

I believe they did that the last time... Well I replied to the ticket, let's see how long for a response this go haha.

It shouldn't take more than 30-60 minutes, maybe a bit longer if your server is very busy or your connection is slow.
    VPSVille.com
    Toronto, London, Dallas, Los Angeles
    Quality VPS hosting on Premium bandwidth

Still no reply/resolution.

Since I am already paying for the cPanel license, anyone have any suggestions on a comparable VPS to FSCK's entry level $9.99 one? I'm guessing my best bet will be moving to a VPS provider that provides me with the cPanel license, but as far as specs went for price point it was cheaper to purchase my own license and go with FSCK.

Don't need it to be managed or anything of the sort. I've been browsing the VPS offer forums, but nothing found that is really comparable yet.

Since I am already paying for the cPanel license, anyone have any suggestions on a comparable VPS to FSCK's entry level $9.99 one?
    Try PhotonVPS BEAM1, it seems pretty similar

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast