I'm completely new at this.

I bought a domain name with GoDaddy.com. I also received free hosting with them; however, its constantly down and being an absolute terror to work with. What I want to do is have one main website and a couple of blogs based off of it. For example, I want the main website at Example.Com and my sports blog at Example.com/Sports. I was wondering what would be the best host for that scenario.

Hi! Welcome to WHT, actually any host offering PHP/Mysql would be able to host a wordpress site, however, the reliability depend of each host too, your needs seems pretty basic, so don't get tempted in get the biggest package for the lower price since if reliability is your main concern, that's the first thing that is going to suffer with big plans and low prices.
    Search for a host with at least a couple of years in the market, with already a built reputation and avoid host offering unlimited space/bandwidth. They are lying to you to get you as a customer.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

I'd also like to keep my Domain name.

You can do that with pretty much any host. You'd probably want to look for a Linux shared hosting solution, unless you have a specific need for Windows.

hostgator.com, asmallorange.com, site5.com, dreamhost.com are good choices...
    Last edited by The Spook; 06-12-2009 at 04:07 PM.
    Figly Media
    Plesk 9.2.1 Shared Linux Hosting
    PHP 5.2.9, MySQL, PostgreSQL & more!
    http://www.figly.com

Thanks for your help so far. Whats the difference between Linux and Windows? Does it make a difference in what programs I can use?

There's not difference in the programs, but in the language and databases mostly, Windows is more oriented to ASP/MSSQL while Linux is PHP/Mysql mostly oriented.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Alright so it makes sense to go Linux because I'm doing mostly open-source php based programs like WordPress?

Correct, Linux hosting would be best for Wordpress.

Linux hosting would be the best for WordPress Hosting. Since your requierments are very small basically any host will fit your needs. Do lot's of research before you purchase. Narrow down to a couple of hosts and then start looking for reviews. Good Luck.

- Daniel
    Managed & Unmanaged SSD VPS's by tmzVPS.com | FAST PURE SSD & HDD Plans!
    █ Locations in USA & United Kingdom - Legal Adult Content Allowed! 24/7 Certified Support.
    cPanel/WHM Included | Premium Softaculous | Data Migration Included with Managed Support.
    █ INSTANT SETUP | Paypal, Skrill, 2checkout, BitCoin & all Major Credit Cards Accepted! Skype: tmzvps.chat

Quote Originally Posted by jcorye1 View Post
    Alright so it makes sense to go Linux because I'm doing mostly open-source php based programs like WordPress?
    Wordpress and a linux configuration with Apache/mod_security/PHP5 will work fine

It seems like I am always seeing reviews about GoDaddy Web Hosting leaving a lot to be desired

Fantastico/Installatron if offered by your provider can allow you to install Wordpress with one click.

I'd recommend since you plan on hosting with shared hosting, to look into installing this mod, as it will "cache" your blog and allow you to make better use of shared hosting for as long as possible for ever needed to upgrade to something bigger:
    http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-super-cache/

In addition to everyone's comments I'd also recommend that you don't buy your domain from the same company you're getting hosted by. But, since you already got the domain that shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks a lot guys, that should show me what to look for.

Hello there,
    Why dont you have a look on the webhosting offer, There are currently alot of offers and with the right one, You can get yourself hooked!

Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by jcorye1 View Post
    I bought a domain name with GoDaddy.com. I also received free hosting with them; however, its constantly down and being an absolute terror to work with. What I want to do is have one main website and a couple of blogs based off of it. For example, I want the main website at Example.Com and my sports blog at Example.com/Sports. I was wondering what would be the best host for that scenario.
    Welcome!!!! Don't worry about being new, everyone starts out being new to hosting . I'm sorry to hear you're having so much trouble with them. Like others have recommended, I would seek hosting elsewhere. I love Godaddy for domains, but I like keeping my eggs in other baskets, so I always seek hosting away from the registrar. Sometimes there may not be a benefit, but it feels right to me.

It sounds like based on what you've said, that just about any host would work for you. I don't know of a shared host who doesn't allow blogs or support blogs. And the subfolder you mention is easy too. Personally, I'd look for a host that offers either fantastico or installatron, this would allow for one click installations to any subfolder of your choosing. It seems like installatron is the better one click installer, but I haven't personally used it yet.

You've come to a good place for help (WHT), there's a lot of experts here, and a lot of good people that are more than willing to help. So if you have any questions about anything, just ask, I guarantee you someone will know the answer around here. Good luck in your search!!!
    Bobby - PreciselyManaged.com - Precision Hosting Solutions
    █ Enterprise Shared, Reseller, VPS, Hybrid, and Dedicated Hosting
    █ SpamExperts | CloudLinux | cPanel | Bacula + R1soft | and more!
    █ Full proactively managed, and we specialize in hosting small web hosts

Yes. It is always convenient to keep the domain registrar and hosting provider separate because in future when it comes to change your hosting provider then the old host might won't release your domain and their you'll be in problem. So to avoid this pain in future it would be good for you to keep them separate. Check the offer section of this forum hope you'll able to find a suitable host for you.

The first thing I use to tell people and still do, is that GoDaddy is a registrar and not a web hosting company. I consider myself a pretty seasoned webmaster, and even I had difficulty using their hosting service -- maybe I'm just used to cPanel so much.

As the others have said, you can keep the domain name with Godaddy, switch the name servers and find a web hosting company that has 1 click install for Wordpress (lots of them do, especially cPanel hosts).

Best of luck
    Kaumil P.