What about Kloxo? Any alternatives to it?

Hi there,

It seems that almost all are worried about HyperVM but no one talking about Kloxo/LxAdmin.

Unfortunately there are many people using Kloxo as their hosting control panel, including me. I moved up from reseller hosting to vps, but i'm unable to afford a very high price for a control panel.

Also i don't do hosting as a big business, but more like my hobby. The vps is used mainly by me and a couple of my friends and about 2-3 clients, which barely covers up the cost for the vps ($15/mo is a very high price considering the place i live).

Kloxo has been serving me and my clients well, though it's not user friendly as cPanel, we like it much better that cPanel.

So the ultimate question is, what are the alternatives for Kloxo/LxAdmin?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Webmin (Free)

DirectAdmin, it's relitively cheap as providers can purchase licenses directly from DirectAdmin for only $5/per month.

SysAdmin.xyz
    Having severs with customer data on it without proper monitoring is like having one night stand without using protections - eventually, there will be an 'oh s**t!' moment.

I have tried webmin, but is it for webhosting?

From what i found useful is that it's main focus is about server management, not a webhosting control panel like cPanel/DA.

Correct me if i'm wrong here.

Try Webmin - It has very thing you might need, further it also supports clusters.Its not about Hosting, you can fully manage your box using it. I am using it

Here screenshots from my install:
    http://www.gaurishsharma.com/wp-cont...in/webmin1.PNG
    http://www.gaurishsharma.com/wp-cont...in/webmin2.PNG

For more information on Webmin, I recommend checking here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Webmin
    and
    http://www.webmin.com/intro.html

I would suggest DirectAdmin. Most VPS providers offer it for a very low price or even for free sometimes. It is a shame that Kloxo is unusable now because it did provide a decent panel for free.

Well,

I really like webmin for the vast features it supports. But i wasn't able to find how to create customers etc in the early stage. So basically i used it to manage the dns server. Well then have to take a deeper look into this.

edit:
    Sorry folks, have to get sum shut eye. Won't be able to reply for abt 30hrs from now. Keep your thoughts rolling here.

Thanks.

check out "www (dot) isp-control (dot) org" looks gd with auto setup of clients and built in billing system.

ChUbB

Quote Originally Posted by gunemalli View Post
    Well,

I really like webmin for the vast features it supports. But i wasn't able to find how to create customers etc in the early stage. So basically i used it to manage the dns server. Well then have to take a deeper look into this.

edit:
    Sorry folks, have to get sum shut eye. Won't be able to reply for abt 30hrs from now. Keep your thoughts rolling here.

Thanks.
    For customers, there a seprate panel called usermin

@Gary4gar,
    I sent you a PM. Please chek it. It would help me clear out my doubts if you can help me.

If you want an easy to use control panel then you will need the DirectAdmin control panel.

More information and a demo of DirectAdmin is available at http://www.directadmin.com . The DirectAdmin user manual is available at http://www.site-helper.com .
    ---=== RoseHosting.com Admin ===---
    Linux Cloud Hosting - linuxcloudvps.com
    Linux VPS Hosting - rosehosting.com
    High Quality Linux virtual servers with lots of Guaranteed RAM and HDD space, Impeccable Service.

I also began moving away from Kloxo in the past few days.

I'm moving to a managed server at wiredtree and they have Cpanel.

Kloxo has saved me lots of $$ already. Its free and I can Install it on any cheap vps providers like Linode.com.

but now, my server costs $51/month from @20/month I used to pay before.

but I won't risk my growing site to be hacked so now, I'm making the investments and I'm also planning to start my hosting business to accomade my $100/month server expenses.

I'm still 16 and a still college student. I'm no big company. I'm just a blogger.

For a free panel, I'd suggest Webmin + Virtualmin. Webmin by itself just lets you control your server, and Virtualmin is the part that lets you make hosting accounts . There's other free control panels, but they've often had big security issues (eg. VHCS). ISP-Config is another one to look at, there's even guides at HowtoForge.com on installing it. I'd suggest to run these on Debian Linux, as most of them are tested the most on Debian (I also find it to be friendlier than CentOS. By default it stores each vhost in a separate file, and has scripts you can use to enable/disable them. Also, package mangement via "apt" is a lot nicer than "yum" on CentOS)
    For a cheap panel, DirectAdmin is pretty good. If you're willing to pay for it, cPanel is excellent. IMO, there's no hosting control panel better than cPanel, it's the control panel for web hosting. The VPS version is relatively cheap; https://www.buycpanel.com/order.php offer the cPanel "VPS Optimised" version for $15 per month.

For customers, there a seprate panel called usermin
    And Virtualmin for hosting accounts
    Last edited by Daniel15; 06-12-2009 at 10:41 PM.

Tomorrow, Ligesh's assistant will be meeting Ligesh's father, and they will be discussing the future of LxLabs, I am positive that the project will be continued by those wonderful people.

Source: http://forum.lxlabs.com/index.php?t=rview&goto=68017

For now, I would stick to Kloxo if you are using it, until the assistant posts if the project will be continued or discontinued.

+1 for DirectAdmin. It is excellent value at typically only $5/month, has good features and is easy to use.
    Exceptional VPS Hosting. With love, 6sync.

Hmm. Nice.

but I would be moving to cpanel for good.

I will still use Kloxo, for my small scale websites. =)

I am playing with Webmin/Virtualmin myself on a VPS right now. It's not too bad to get set up, once you figure out where things are. I have tried ISPConfig in the past and didn't like it all that much, but that's just a personal opinion. There is a quickstart guide at http://www.virtualmin.com/documentat...on_quickstart/ .

Next step is getting roundcube working - have a couple of friends who only use webmail. Usermin does allow you to read mail, but it's not so pretty.

It's not too bad, really, but not quite as easy as Kloxo.

It's not too bad, really, but not quite as easy as Kloxo.
    Yeah, Webmin was always focused at sysadmin-type users, whereas Kloxo and cPanel are focused at (basically) everyone. As a result, Webmin lacks some of the "friendlyness" of the other control panels. However, once you get used to it, it really is a pretty good control panel, and one of the most secure (just ancedotal, but I think it is pretty secure)

Also, if you're using Debian, I think there's packages for it

Next step is getting roundcube working
    Roundcube is just a PHP script - Should be very easy to set up once emails and Apache are working properly

I would say the closest thing would be DirectAdmin. It's fairly user friendly and has a nice GUI.
    ColoInSeattle - From 1U to cage space colocation in Seattle
    ServerStadium - Affordable Dedicated Servers
    Come visit our 18k sq ft. facility in Seattle!
    Managed Private Cloud | Colocation | Disaster Recovery | Dedicated Servers

Webmin isn't intended for virtual hosting...it is a general purpose systems management tool. It's simply not the right tool for the job, and if you're comparing it to cPanel or LXadmin or any other virtual hosting control panel you'll be confused and come away with a bad impression of it. Likewise, if you were trying to use cPanel or LXadmin for general UNIX system administration tasks, you would also be very disappointed in those products.

Virtualmin, on the other hand, which runs on top of Webmin and is developed by the same people (I'm one of them), is intended for virtual hosting, and has a very competitive feature set, is very flexible, and we think it's pretty easy to use (it is actually designed for this purpose, unlike Webmin). It also inherits some really nice features from Webmin, like the ability to edit config files by hand without confusing Virtualmin or having the control panel overwrite those changes the next time you use the control panel.

We just released Virtualmin version 3.70 which has LXadmin/Kloxo migration support, due to heavy demand for this capability from refugees from that platform. Both the free version (Virtualmin GPL) and the commercial version (Virtualmin Professional) have this migration support (we also support migration from Plesk and cPanel).

Since it costs nothing to try Virtualmin, I'd certainly encourage you to give it a try before choosing your next control panel. The download page also includes details about how to install it: http://www.virtualmin.com/download

If you find it doesn't fit your way of thinking, you're only out a few minutes of your time, and you will then know with more confidence you're making a knowledgeable selection. There are many good products in the field.

Both the free version and the commercial version are well-supported by us and our community, and very actively maintained (we release a new version every 2-3 weeks).