{Then the VPS comes back up;}
    else
    {reboot from ssh/PuTTY = VPS shut down & I need to log into vePortal;}

centos 5.5:
    How can I fix this?
    Why does not Reboot == Reboot??
    Thanks

I am assuming this is under OpenVZ...

OpenVZ reboots are quite different than a true machine. Under OpenVZ, when you issue 'reboot' from console, it will halt the VE and place a file flag within the file system. A cron runs every couple of minutes from the hardware node and looks for all VEs containing this file "flag" and issues a vzctl restart (same as rebooting from VEPortal).

If you give it some time, it will eventually come back online.

OpenVZ is not a true virtual environment -- It is more of an OS jail.
    Daniel | Server Complete, LLC
    INSTANTLY DEPLOYED Bare Metal Servers
    Wholly owned hardware and self operated network (AS19531) in Jacksonville, FL

OpenVZ is not a true virtual environment...

Thanks Daniel,
    So OpenVZ doesn't actually guarantee a set amount of CPU either, and other accounts can cause mine to slow down?

EDIT:
    Wikipedia says this...
    The CPU scheduler in OpenVZ is a two-level implementation of fair-share scheduling strategy.

On the first level, the scheduler decides which container it is to give the CPU time slice to, based on per-container cpuunits values. On the second level the standard Linux scheduler decides which process to run in that container, using standard Linux process priorities and such.

It is possible to set different values for the CPUs in each container. Real CPU time will be distributed proportionally to these values.

Strict limits, such as 10% of total CPU time, are also possible.
    ...but I don't fully understand.

>> With OpenVZ can other "virtually private" accounts cause mine to slow down?
    Last edited by UpdownUp; 07-19-2010 at 11:48 PM.

Interesting post. I never realized OpenVZ doesn't actually reboot the vm. I never noticed it before becuase all my other hosts must have had the cron job run pretty quickly. I never noticed any delay.

I just nabbed a new vm on RackVM.com and noticed the delay. I submitted a ticket thinking it was an issue with the VM.

Quote Originally Posted by UpdownUp View Post

Thanks Daniel,
    So OpenVZ doesn't actually guarantee a set amount of CPU either, and other accounts can cause mine to slow down?

EDIT:
    Wikipedia says this...
    ...but I don't fully understand.

quite possible. you share everything with the other 'guys' on the same server.

Quote Originally Posted by UpdownUp View Post

Thanks Daniel,

With any virtualisation your VE can be affected by other VE's. CPU will usualy not be a problem, every virtualisation will handle that fine, but IO usage (hard drive) will always be a problem, and every VPS can be affected by excessive disk usage of another VPS. OpenVZ is very good and fast so don't just choose VPS by virtualisation platform, and look at the price instead, and always pick more expensive one if you need a good quality.