Starting a reseller backup company

Hey guys

Im a young student looking for some help starting up a reseller of backup solutions company..

I have a fairly big social network and think I can prosper from this.. but i have no experience in setting up a company or running it.. What are your experiences with the different companies offereing backup services? - I have been looking at mozy and carbonite as options so far.. any other ideas?

Any good advice for my startup would be appreciated

Do you meant you want to run a backup service?

Did you check r1soft.com ? It is a good solution to sell backup services.
    Specially 4 You
    JoneSolutions.Com ( Jones.Solutions ) is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions and services since 2001

i want to run a business reselling a major backup companys service - with a profit.

Quote Originally Posted by mazedk View Post
    i want to run a business reselling a major backup companys service - with a profit.
    How much capital do you have?

What sort of profit margin do you want?
    Plagiarism Guard - Protect Against Content Theft
    Tristan Perry - Personal blog

Capital: Im not sure, deppends on the deal i can get and the terms. I can come up with a couple thousand $ if i can see a really good deal.

I am looking for somewhere around 15-20% - is that unreasonable?

Okay that sounds good And 15-20% is very reasonable; many would seek more I'd imagine (although I'm not an expert in this field so couldn't know for sure).

Well r1soft.com are quite popular and they have a reseller/affiliate program so that's one option.

Another idea could be to look for a provider where you can get maybe a 10 or 20 Mbit dedicated connection, and quite a few HDs in RAID 1/5/6 and then you wouldn't need to resell. But this would cost $xxx per month which may not be the best option.
    Plagiarism Guard - Protect Against Content Theft
    Tristan Perry - Personal blog

I recall reading that bqbackup.com had some resellers, so they could be an option I suppose.

R1soft is a great product, but our company only had 1 major issue that made our management hesitate, within our 2 week trial run of it, the price changed 3 times. While I'm sure this was not a normal event, its enough to make anyone think twice when attempting to work out a longer term pricing structure for your backup services.

Discuss license pricing stability with any solution you decide to go with, to ensure whatever margin your looking for stays intact.