Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fake or Real?

Fake or Real?

Hello everyone, we have recently recieved a phone call from someone claiming and saying that one of our customers is infringing on copyright.

below is the email:
    Dear Rackeasy abuse team

RE: ************

I have just spoke to Brandon with regards to the website *************.

we have found this site to be seriously infringing copyrights to music
    classed in the UK and USA. Can you please suspend his services as he had
    actually agreed not to upload copyrighted material on his site but, has now
    gone against his word.

If you need any further info on our company. please Visit:
    www.untouchablesUK.com

Also visit our agency :www.bpi.co.uk
    any immediate enquiries email me on this address or Tel: +44 (0) 115 8545629

Your Truly

Gurps (Bpi: 1434)

UntouchablesUK.com
    DanceAsia Promotions
    DanceAsia P.R. & Marketing Division
    DanceAsia Community Affairs
    DanceAsia Management Services

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Quite frankly I think he's full of it... For various reasons such as him using a @hotmail email address "Oh yea that really makes an impression " Then him claiming over the phone the BPI is some gov agency although if it was wouldn't it be ".gov.uk" not ".co.uk" which co = commercial such as com correct?

So I need your help to determine if this is fake or not I have not suspended the customer yet as it dosen't look real. If it was real wouldn't it be an certified signed snail mail letter, and not a phone call/email?

All help is appreciated .

I don't see why it can't be legit.

The real question is if the customer is participating in putting that material on your service.
    Joe - HostingWave.Com / TXINSURANCE.COM
    http://www.hostingwave.com
    SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING: Smoking Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy.

Exactly ChickenMeat.

Check what content your customer has on his server.

If you find mp3s or whatever that can have legal issues ask him to prove they are legally his to share etc.

Kind regards
    Phillip
    www.SURRENDERONLINE.com.au
    Perfect Solutions Every Time! Sydney Based :: Dedicated Servers :: Colocation :: Superior Support::Reseller Solutions

Yea he has MP3's that are weird ones nothing like rap, or anything popular so I wouldn't know if he made them himself or what...

here is an output of one of his folders:
    root@rackone [/home/******/public_html/upload/Dj aps]# ls -alsh
    total 61M
    4.0k drwxr-xr-x 3 ******* ******* 4.0k Oct 1 16:48 ./
    4.0k drwxr-xr-x 6 ******* ******* 4.0k Sep 22 20:07 ../
    4.0M -rw-r--r-- 1 ******* ******* 3.9M Sep 22 20:14 --01-Canadian\ Desi\ Mix.mp3
    3.3M -rw-r--r-- 1 ******* ******* 3.3M Sep 22 20:23 --02-\ 02\ Bhangra\paun\ dey.mp3
    1.5M -rw-r--r-- 1 ******* ******* 1.4M Sep 22 20:27 --03-Im\ Mad.mp3
    3.7M -rw-r--r-- 1 ******* ******* 3.6M Sep 22 20:31 --04-Basement\ underground\ Vibe.mp3
    3.8M -rw-r--r-- 1 ******* ******* 3.8M Sep 22 20:34 --05-No\ competition.mp3
    3.4M -rw-r--r-- 1 ******* ******* 3.3M Sep 22 20:40 --06-Tabba.mp3
    3.1M -rw-r--r-- 1 ******* ******* 3.0M Sep 22 20:50 --07-The\ One.mp3
    1.7M -rw-r--r-- 1 ******* ******* 1.7M Sep 22 20:52 --08-Indian\ curse.mp3
    3.8M -rw-r--r-- 1 ******* ******* 3.7M Sep 22 20:56 --09-Charkha\ Scratch.mp3
    3.9M -rw-r--r-- 1 ******* ******* 3.8M Sep 22 21:00 --10-Driving\ at\ night.mp3
    4.0M -rw-r--r-- 1 ******* ******* 3.9M Sep 22 21:03 --11-Intr.\ Jagpal\-\ Whats\ Beef_.mp3
    3.3M -rw-r--r-- 1 ******* ******* 3.3M Sep 22 21:09 --12-Bass\ Me\ -\ Chamkila.mp3
    2.6M -rw-r--r-- 1 ******* ******* 2.6M Sep 22 21:20 --13-Throw\ ur\ hands\ up.mp3
    3.2M -rw-r--r-- 1 ******* ******* 3.1M Sep 22 21:28 --14-Sardaran\ de.mp3
    2.3M -rw-r--r-- 1 ******* ******* 2.3M Sep 22 21:31 --15-Sweet\ Brotha.mp3
    4.3M -rw-r--r-- 1 ******* ******* 4.3M Sep 22 21:48 --16-Crazy\ boliya.mp3
    2.5M -rw-r--r-- 1 ******* ******* 2.4M Sep 22 22:03 --17-take\ a\ look.mp3
    3.6M -rw-r--r-- 1 ******* ******* 3.5M Sep 22 22:13 18\ Surjit\ B\ -\ Jatt\ de\ Pasand.mp3
    3.5M -rw-r--r-- 1 ******* ******* 3.4M Sep 22 22:27 19\ Maniakk.mp3

Yea he has MP3's that are weird ones nothing like rap, or anything popular so I wouldn't know if he made them himself or what...

Just because it's not popular doesn't mean that it's not copyright protected...you should know that

edit:
    13-Throw\ ur\ hands\ up.mp3

If that's the song I've got in my head right now, I know that is copyrighted because my cousin knows the mixer for that, and it samples another very popular dance song...which brings me to another point: should you have posted the file listing here?

Originally posted by akash

Just because it's not popular doesn't mean that it's not copyright protected...you should know that
    He never said they weren't protected.

Akash I didn't say because it's not popular it's not copyright protected. What I did say is that I don't know if it is copyrighted OR not.

Originally posted by CGarson

He never said they weren't protected.
    And I never said they were (aside from the one i think that might be protected). My point was that something that nobody has heard or seen before could be protected; just because you've never heard it or your neighbor hasn't, doesn't mean its not copyright protected. It doesn't hurt to be sure...

Originally posted by ChickenSteak
    What I did say is that I don't know if it is copyrighted OR not.

Right and what I said was, just because you haven't heard it doesn't mean it isn't (see above post)....it doesn't hurt to ask your customer to show proof of ownership.

And I never said they were (aside from the one i think that might be protected). My point was that something that nobody has heard or seen before could be protected; just because you've never heard it or your neighbor hasn't, doesn't mean its not copyright protected. It doesn't hurt to be sure...
    I know what you're saying, but he said "I dont know if they are protected", so dont act liek he said "They arent protected".

Akash yes it dosen't hurt to check, as I said I don't know if they are or not, nor did I say because I haven't heard it that means there not copyright protected.

Right and what I said was, just because you haven't heard it doesn't mean it isn't (see above post)....it doesn't hurt to ask your customer to show proof of ownership.
    Akash what I'm simply getting at here is to see if the email looks "real" as you might know diffrent site's compete against each other the person calling and emailing can simply be an enemy who wants this guys site down. Which is why I'm checking here. Even if I asked the customer if he has proof his proof could be voice, as well as the person emailing/calling. It could even be copyrighted with someone completely diffrent.

Sheesh..you guys are totally reading my posts the wrong way.....maybe it's because for some reason you think I'm trying to make ChickenSteak look bad?? No....I'd actually commend him for checking up on his customers and not just ignoring the copyright email....

I'll say once again, my point was that just because you (as in the host, whoever that may be), haven't heard the song, or seen an image, that doesn't mean that it's not copyright protected....

<sidenote>Yes, I know CS didn't say that, but I'm just pointing that out for anyone else reading this thread (including those who wish to start a hosting business).</sidenote>

...and that it doesn't hurt to ask your customer who owns the mp3 files....

Sheesh..you guys are totally reading my posts the wrong way.....maybe it's because for some reason you think I'm trying to make ChickenSteak look bad?? No....I'd actually commend him for checking up on his customers and not just ignoring the copyright email....

I'll say once again, my point was that just because you (as in the host, whoever that may be), haven't heard the song, or seen an image, that doesn't mean that it's not copyright protected....

<sidenote>Yes, I know CS didn't say that, but I'm just pointing that out for anyone else reading this thread (including those who wish to start a hosting business).</sidenote>

...and that it doesn't hurt to ask your customer who owns the mp3 files....
    Heh, were not bashing you or anything, or mad. We're saying that you like read his post wrong.

Ok lol it's been a long day . Anyways we are currently investigating and see if these are actually copyrighted.

Akash what I'm simply getting at here is to see if the email looks "real" as you might know diffrent site's compete against each other the person calling and emailing can simply be an enemy who wants this guys site down.

Ask the person who sent you the email to show proof of ownership, if they show proof, then ask your customer to show proof...if you're customer can't show proof within X number of days (i usually set 2 days) suspend the website until they do....

Again, it doesn't hurt to ask....

Originally posted by CGarson

We're saying that you like read his post wrong.
    As you did mine

Just tell them to have their attorney contact you on his letterhead.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Yea the person who is claiming the infringment sent me a picture of the cd cover or something lol.

So I sent out an email to the customer giving him 48 hours for proof.

Ok one last question... Do I suspend the customers site who is in question untill the issue is resolved or do I keep it alive untill he is proven guilty?

Originally posted by SoftWareRevue
    Just tell them to have their attorney contact you on his letterhead.

That's a good suggestion, but letterheads can easily be forged/manipulated/created out of nowhewre.....

A phone call would be the best option, but they have to show some kind of proof of ownership, just because they say its theirs doesn't mean you have to believe them right away.

And if they threaten to take you to court, they'll have to do the same thing there to win...show proof of ownership...

Attached is the so called proof.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails danger2promofront.jpg  

Do I suspend the customers site who is in question untill the issue is resolved or do I keep it alive untill he is proven guilty
    If within 48 hours, he can't show solid proof that he owns it, I'd suspend it....

Thanks everyone, for your help this just about sums it up. I will post the results within 48 hours .

I would ask your customer to simply cooperate by voluntarily removing the item in question until proof of ownership can be shown.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Well the guy has emailed me back since the one item and now all of a sudden he has a problem with everything on his site.. saying he is infringing on other people's copyrights besides his.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast