newbie in hosting

Hi all,

I am new in web hosting and so I need some advice.

First of all I have 2 personal websites at the moment, with a registered domain name. What I want is to host these 2 sites with a web host. I mainly develop with Flash and ASP and so I need to be able to upload Access databases, and I also need to be able to upload things such as mail objects (ex SMTPsvg). I would also like to upload some MP3's and movie clips to the server. What shall I look for? Is it possible to have this kind of hosting for about $8 a month?

Thanks for your help

Manny hosts don't allow mp3 and audio files on their servers unless you have the copyright to use them.. do you?
    Have you Floble'd today?

What if I do them myself? Maybe instead of MP3 I meant wav files.

Some hosts don't allow ANY music-files, and others allow them if you have permition to put them on-line or have the copyright for them. If you post a request in the requestforum I'm sure you'll get some hosts to choose between.
    "Stop flame-wars - Report a post"
    The original Kitty Lizard

The thing is, I do not know exactly what I want since I am not very technical in these things. I mean the most important thing for me is to have these 2 web sites with their domain name, ie when you type the domain name, you are redirected to them, and to have some the mail object working, since free hosting do not allow that.

The best advice, don't go to the cheapest host. Just because they are cheap doesn't mean they are good same thing can also be said about expensive hosts.

Do a search on here, and google for more information about them.
    Clustered Hosting With Continuous Data Protection (CDP)
    http://www.solidinternet.com
    8 Years of hosting excellence!

Well... lets see what you might need...

Space: check how much space you use on your harddrive for those two sites, and then maybe double it.

Database: Support for Access database, if you can't translate it to mySQL.

Upload mail objects: Just write what you wrote in your post.

Music/video support: Write that you have some mp3-files and video-files you have the copyright for (if that's the truth) and want to host them as well.

Domain and redirect: Write that you have the domain allready (if that's the case) and would like to use their nameserver.

Hope that helps you.

Monfu -

If you own the copyright to those music files [and you'll want them in .mp3 format, not .wav, because of the ridiculous file sizes of the latter] then you really ought to look at placing the music somewhere like mp3.com.

There's the option of a free or paid service. Either way, you can link to the music from your home site. It's what I've done.

I use the paid service at mp3.com, which gives the option of receiving small royalties. Just barely pays for itself, thus avoided crippling myself with bandwidth charges if I'd hosted it all myself.

Thanks for all your help. Now I have a better picture. My main problem was how I can host the two domains I have registered with the web host. I saw a lot of techincal words, such as Domain parking, and Domain Transfers and Permanent IP Addresses which I am not familiar with

Depends on whether you wish to have both active on the internet.

If so, then a small reseller package shouldn't cost too much. A lot of hosts may be happy to customise a small reseller account for you.

If you only want one domain name active, then domain parking is something you may wish to talk to your future host about.

Well at the moment, I am not using of them since it is a small web design company I wanted to set up, but at the moment I am not doing any freelance work since I do not have time, but maybe in the future it will be active again, so I think it is better to have both active, so I must go for a reseller plan right?

This hosting thing is killing me!

Actually, some hosts let you have multiple domains under one account. You can then choose to have one domain point (temporarily) to the other or to a part of your account. I don't know what that would cost, you have to ask the hosts. My host allows multiple domains in one account.

Hi Reptilian,

I sent you a mail if that is ok for you. You can reply back to me at monfu@maltanet.net

e-mail recieved and sent