starting a new hosting company

Well okay i want to start my own hosting.. well look at this

PIII 800MHz 512MB RAM 2x18GB SCSI 14 Virtual IP's 10Mbps Bandwidth
    - - - Monthly $500.00

Thats a dedicated server. does 14 virtual ips mean i can support only 14 ppl?
    How many ppl do you think that dedicated server can handle effeciently. well basically i want to get something like that and sell it to ppl. like $70 for 300gb or something.

Any tips? and oh yeah the dedicated server is from datahosters ( reliable and fast )

14 IP's - That's how many unique IP's you get. You could really put everyone on one IP, and it would work fine.

You can't really estimate how many people the server could hold just to due to the fact that every site is different, but I wouldn't put more than 65-70 accounts on it "normal" size accounts.

*Definition of that usage of Normal: A site that uses about half it's disk space allotted uses a couple of non-resource intensive PHP/CGI scripts and only pushes a good 800 megs of bandwidth.*

Sheesh I sound like one of those un-limited hosts now...

It's about the resources.

You have to keep up with the processes running on your server.

If your clients host text and image files then you can have more clients.

If they run system exhaustive scripts, or forums then that will decrease the capacity of clients your server can hold.
    OFS Hosting.
    Reseller and Hosting Services
    A new Horizon in Hosting.
    Http://www.OFSHosting.com

thanx yeah.. i wasnt planning on putting more than 20-30 ppl

okay another question, how hard will it be to set up their dedicated server to run as a webhost? i'll pay anyone here who is good and willing to do it for me

And also, can i buy a dedicated host that has like 10mbps bandwith, and then offer the same server to someone but instead of 10mpbs i'll give him like 5mbps?

okay another question, how hard will it be to set up their dedicated server to run as a webhost? i'll pay anyone here who is good and willing to do it for me
    It's somewhat difficult if you don't follow the instructions like me.
    Took my a day to realize that it might help to to read the install file for PHP. But really, if you don't know how to do it, I would recommend you download like Red Hat, throw it on some cheap computer and play around with it for about 6 months. Now even playing around with it for 6 months you will just really be breaking the ice (or however that saying goes).

And also, can i buy a dedicated host that has like 10mbps bandwith, and then offer the same server to someone but instead of 10mpbs i'll give him like 5mbps?[/
    What would you do with the other 5MBPS? You couldn't sell that too, or else it wouldn't be a dedicated server. Just sell them the whole thing and charge more for it than you would for 5MBPS

well i dont have 6 months. thats why i need a professional i'll pay on a weekly basis

$500US is a lot.
    Why dont you ask for a quote off he.net or somewhere like that.
    Im sure you can get colocation and a nice chunk of bandwidth for a few hundred dollars.
    For quality hosting at a quality datacenter - www.ultralogic.net
    [email protected]

Re: starting a new hosting company

Originally posted by xxweekxx
    Well okay i want to start my own hosting.. well look at this

PIII 800MHz 512MB RAM 2x18GB SCSI 14 Virtual IP's 10Mbps Bandwidth
    - - - Monthly $500.00

Thats a dedicated server. does 14 virtual ips mean i can support only 14 ppl?
    How many ppl do you think that dedicated server can handle effeciently. well basically i want to get something like that and sell it to ppl. like $70 for 300gb or something.

Any tips? and oh yeah the dedicated server is from datahosters ( reliable and fast )
    Why?
    Web Hosting companies are a dime a dozen as it is!! The business is cut-throat.
    The tip is ... think about it first. If you can't devote the time, don't do it! $500 per month for 10Mbps and you are gonna resell 300gb at $70 per month? Good luck and read the TOS at the datahosters. Do they really allow what you intend to do?
    intellec
    ....you get what you pay for and you pay for what you get....

Contact Brian at http://rackforce.com for $500/mo you could get a very nice server and a very nice support package where they completely take over the running of it for you. All you have to do is do the hosting part of it. They have excellent techs and customer service in general.
    Learn survival/prepper information from a combat veteran at Graywolf Survival

He doesn't need redhat.. Checkout Cygwin. It's basically unix that runs on top of windows. Pretty cooland im' installing it now.

You can run any basic stuff on it.
    Walter Landman
    Simplicato - Email Hosting

You should probably research the webhosting industry a little bit more. Get more Quotes. After you find a company you should probably ask around to see if others have had good expirences with that company.
    Dot Simple LLC
    aim: johna11en | yah: johna11en | msn: [email protected] | e-mail

Originally posted by skelley1
    Contact Brian at http://rackforce.com for $500/mo you could get a very nice server and a very nice support package where they completely take over the running of it for you. All you have to do is do the hosting part of it. They have excellent techs and customer service in general.

what do you mean running it for me? they will provide support too?

yes, they have plans that will take care of all your server needs, from security to optimization. These are optional, but would fit into a $500/mo budget with the volume you are talking about. They have a few levels of management.

Although, have you looked into a reseller account? It would be less expensive, and the server support would be done by the host.
    Learn survival/prepper information from a combat veteran at Graywolf Survival