The Death of the Internet

This MAKES ME MAD!!!

Next,we will pay per mile for use of the streets!!!

The Dude

yes the final closing comments about 19 century land grabs isn't far off the mark for 2002

the greedy get greedier

i think people will fight that... and it will encourage more 'hacking' if you will, or exploits for the internet... someone will find a way around it
    You are unique, just like everyone else.

If end user ISPs want to charge for bandwidth, that's fine. They've done that before (I paid over $1500 one year in CompuServe fees), and everybody here pays for bandwidth -- see the "there is no unlimited" posts, it all applies here.

I've read posts about (and AUP/TOS) charging based on what you want to use the bandwidth for. Examples are trying to charge more for VPNs, NATs, ... You can see how a cable company would envision "premium services" that would work like premium channels.

The problem with these schemes is that they can't work. As long as they allow outbound traffic on one port, you can (with the assistance of machines outside their network) funnel all network traffic through the allowed port. And with encryption, their man-in-the-middle can't analyize the traffic to see if it's the banned stuff. So all they'll be able to charge for is bandwidth, as it should be.

Competition should keep the prices near the costs for bandwidth, but these operators have been operating with losses that they can't accept anymore, so prices will go up.

I would prefer that government keep their hands off the internet. Business is the best option. If one company wants to treat their customers like crap then another will come along to fill the need. That's the best way to do it. Once government gets involved and lays down the rules, it's over. No allowance for future technology or changes in consumer preference.

If you can name me one thing that government does better than private business (other than the military), then I'll change my thinking. In my experience, everything the government gets involved in gets totally screwed up.
    Feelings are not tools for rational thought.

i agree in a way...

i think they should do something along the lines of deregulation, if you know what i mean.

the internet is pretty much, our only freedom, where you can pretty much do whatever you please... i like it that way and want it to stay that way
    You are unique, just like everyone else.

No, no no no no . . .

I cannot have this . . .

There are certain things that I can get on my computer that I don't like paying for to see on TV!

j/k
    Jesse Barron
    [email protected]
    Epitomized Hosting: Exceeding Your Expectations
    www.epitomized.com

I like the post about more "hacking" and finding ways around it....I like that idea.....

YES,im sure someone will create bogus accounts or something to logon to a certain ISP,not hard to do from what i have heard....

People always wanna charge $$$,wherever they can get thier pockets filled they try...Just like the NAB (National association of broadcasters) Making a big deal out of people LISTENING TO RADIO STATIONS ONLINE,pricks they are.....

They're the 1's that say "oh,pirate radio stations are catastrophic to the FM band" and all kinds of things.....The NAB sucks the big one......

The Dude

Tinyurl is the answer for posting long urls!!!

I got a bill once from cox cable when I had cable (before I moved)....they said I violated their tou (which I never had to sign) by using a "unreasonable" amount of bw..course they wouldn't tell me what "unreasonable" was...so I said f them...and switched to dsl.
    -Robert Norton
    www.SophMedia.com