Anyone here have a DVD burner yet?

Anyone here own one of these babys yet? I am thinking about grabbing one now that they are under $250.00 but wanted to see if anyone had any feedback.. I would assume they take a long time to write a whole DVD movie but I was wondering if there were any known issues as far as making backups of my current DVDS I am sure the RIAA is trying to put some type of protection on this type of thing by now.. I have a slew of DVD's but once they get even a minor scratch they play like crap so I figure if I can back them up then it will help me out quite a bit.

I have a Superdrive on my mac that burns DVD-R's. I've burned a DVD once and you're more than right when stating they take awhile to write. It plays okay but just not as good as the real thing. I have a few regular CD'rs that can't hardly be read now when they were burnt when external 4x's cost $400.

I've also read there are some issues with what brand dvd recordable media plays in certain brand dvd players. On top of all of it, the market hasn't settled well on which dvd technology to use (dvd-r, dvdrw, dvd+rw, etc).

Overall, IMO - it's not worth purchasing/using right now unless you really want to get some home movies/ family media presentations under your belt [on the consumer level].
    Modest Mouse Talk

i think right now, its almost impossible to 'backup' a normal dvd like you would buy such as spiderman or whatever. And if it is, its probably just easier to spend the 20 bucks to buy it... because the time it takes you to burn(if its possible) the capacity of the blank, as well as cost of the blank, and the the initial cost of the burner... i have found them to be useless so far...

i think you are thinking of just copying on the fly a dvd... (spiderman in the player, to a blank in the burner) and i personally havent seen that been done... its all this "make your home movie" crap out there
    You are unique, just like everyone else.

Hi.

My Bro Just got a DVD Burner On His PowerMac. Its a sweet thing to have - if it comes with the computer, but I dont think its worth buying seperately.

Btw, OT, That apple powerbook is so nice! Too bad I just got an ibook

asif
    retroHOST - Affordable, Reliable Web Hosting.
    e: [email protected]
    w: www.retroHOST.biz

A04, same drive as the Macs, except running x86 hardware

Originally posted by retrohelix
    Hi.

My Bro Just got a DVD Burner On His PowerMac. Its a sweet thing to have - if it comes with the computer, but I dont think its worth buying seperately.

Btw, OT, That apple powerbook is so nice! Too bad I just got an ibook

asif
    While Think Secret isn't the most accurate site on the net by far, they are reporting small upgrades and price drops on Tuesday. See here: http://thinksecret.com/news/nov6ibooks.html

I have 2, the HP 200i and the new Sony DVD+-R DVR+-RW. They both are very nice!
    Last edited by RackMy.com; 11-04-2002 at 06:02 PM.
    Mike @ Xiolink.com
    http://www.xiolink.com 1-877-4-XIOLINK
    Advanced Managed Microsoft Hosting
    "Your data... always within reach"

I'm still waiting it out. The price has a long way to drop yet. Look at cd-rw drives! They're at the top of their game at the moment and cost less than a good night out.

I have a Samsung dvd-rom at the moment that'll stay put till a dvd burner replaces it in a year or so

Greg Moore
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

Originally posted by vipe
    On top of all of it, the market hasn't settled well on which dvd technology to use (dvd-r, dvdrw, dvd+rw, etc).
    This is what just confused me. I just bought a DVD player (home unit) and they all seem to play or not play a combination of these and I really wasn't sure what/how produced which of these formats, thus which to buy. I don't know. First DVD player in the house (I'm a bit behind the times heh), so if I screwed up, well then better luck next time.

I got the Sony DVP-NS315 (says Media Supported: Audio CD, CD-R, CD-RW, DVD, DVD-RAM, DVD-RW)
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

Chicken

well if you made a mistake, it's Sony. It'll look nice popping up your coffee table

Greg Moore
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.