Premium BGP blend bandwidth @ 200 Paul?

I'm looking at getting a full rack in the TelX data center @ 200 Paul, San Francisco. Telx has quoted their own BGP blend bandwidth, but it seems this is a new offering for them and I'm not getting a lot of confidence they know what they are doing or if they have even built the infrastructure yet at this location. Telx is a subsidiary of Digital Realty Trust, the owners of the 200 Paul building, and they also manage the meet me room for the building, so they have great control of cross connects. I'm thinking maybe the direction to go is to get bandwidth from someone else?

Are there good options for teir one BGP blended bandwidth at 200 Paul that I could cross connect to? It would be great to find someone that can do a 3+ tier one carrier mix for reasonable pricing at a 10mbps or 20mbps commitment level? A latency/route optmization system like an InterNAP FCP or Avaya/Route Science system would be a great bonus. I'm aware of Bandcon as an option, that does a mostly Level 3/Global Crossing mix ($15-17/megabit). Any experiences with them? InterNAP looks to be there, but is their pricing reasonable for small commits? Any other options anyone know about?

Thanks,
    Les

At 10Mbps Bandcon surely wouldn't be at $17/meg IMHO. That's only at 100Mbps.

Quote Originally Posted by progent View Post
    I'm looking at getting a full rack in the TelX data center @ 200 Paul, San Francisco. Are there good options for teir one BGP blended bandwidth at 200 Paul that I could cross connect to?
    200 Paul has a pretty decent list of carriers, most of them are in the MMR/TelX space. The carriers that I have dealt with are AboveNet, GBLX, Cogent, nLayer, ATT, Internap, Layer42, L3 and XO. There are more in there though

As far as resellers, its kinda a mix, my favorites are nLayer and Layer42 and so far I have yet to be dissapointed.

You won't regret going with TelX, they're the best players in the facility right now.
    AppliedOperations - Premium Service
    Bandwidth | Colocation | Hosting | Managed Services | Consulting
    www.appliedops.net

Well,

I will have to vouch for Bandcon here....
    I am currently a user of their BGP mix, and have not had any problems...they also have tons of peering.

Their tech support is available 24/7, and usually is answered after one-two rings on a phone call. I can always talk to a human instantly.

I am @ Equinix in Sunnyvale, if you need any IP addresses, just shoot me a PM.

Here is my sales rep there:

dannys@bandcon.com
    Danny Sikorski
    Account Executive

Thanks for the suggestions.

I found out the details of Telx’s own bandwidth offering. It is basically a switched bandwidth solution where they obtain connections from various transit providers and then parcel them out to customers that have small bandwidth needs. There is no BGP mix of carriers. They just switch one particular provider connection to your rack. There is no redundancy or carrier diversity except for what peering happens in the building. IP addresses are allotted from the prospective providers IP space/AS number, or you can BGP you own IP addresses if you have your own AS. If you want redundancy you have to build it yourself by having your own local router do BGP and getting multiple connections from diverse providers.

Currently at 200 Paul Telx offers either WBS Connect and Mzima for their carrier options. Does anyone have any experience with which is a better option? It looks like WBS uses Level 3, Sprint, Global Crossing, and HE for their major peering/transit. Mzima uses a similar mix switching out Sprint for MFN. It would seem like a big question is how much of that peering happens at 200 Paul in order to obtain good fiber diversity leaving the building (to avoid things like that recent AT&T fiber cut outage) vs. how much is privately transported to another data center (Like Equinix SJ) where the actual peering happens?

Besides bandwidth from WBS and Mzima provided by Telx, the other reasonable cost options for modest bandwidth (10-20mbps) seems to be Bandcon (which relies mostly on Level 3/Global Crossing) or Cogent (Not sure if they do any peering in 200 Paul or not?)

I looked at the transit/peering for NLAYER and Layer42 as was suggested above, but have not gotten any pricing. NLAYER seems to have somewhat more diverse/superior connectivity, but still relies on Level 3 and Global Crossing for tier 1 transit. Layer42 seems less ideal IMHO as they don’t directly connect to a tier 1 provider (relying mostly on WBS and Telia).

In the end it seems like the best solution is to do my own BGP blend with at least two providers. So if you had a choice of:
    - WBS Connect
    - Mzima
    - Bandcon
    - Cogent

Which would you choose in building a good BGP mix which would achieve the best peering inside 200 Paul? Which of these providers has the most fault tolerant infrastructure in the building?

Quote Originally Posted by progent View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions.
    I looked at the transit/peering for NLAYER and Layer42 as was suggested above, but have not gotten any pricing. NLAYER seems to have somewhat more diverse/superior connectivity, but still relies on Level 3 and Global Crossing for tier 1 transit. Layer42 seems less ideal IMHO as they don’t directly connect to a tier 1 provider (relying mostly on WBS and Telia).
    Nlayer is pretty good, you can't go wrong there. As far as Layer42, about 50% of our traffic goes to peering and the rest goes to Telia and sometimes WBS. We are also turning up a 10G to Level3 at PAIX in a few weeks. Tired of everyone complaining about our lack of Tier 1 .
    Steve Rubin - ser@layer42.net
    Layer42 Networks - http://www.Layer42.net/